Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: LC 30.06 blanks

Boolit Mold

LC 30.06 blanks

I have access to some LC 30.06 fired blanks, can I convert them to 8mm brass since I will be trimming off the crimp ?

Boolit Master

'06 blanks were loaded with non-corrosive primers and powders so they should be okay but you might want to consider annealing the case necks before reforming.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Bill , yes I will anneall.

Boolit Man

If i were you, i would NOT use those blanks! I used some several years ago (converted them to 7.7 Arisaka) when i was new to reloading and had a case head split on me and blow back on me. On further reading, i found SEVERAL posts stating that blanks use a MUCH weaker alloy of brass and cannot stand full pressures. I found that out the hard way. Please research some more and make your decision. I felt stupid, but at least i wasnt hurt. I can attest to the fact that they are weak brass. Please dont use them for reloads.......unless you just mean to use them for 8mm blanks that is...................maybe i misread your intention here..?
    Last edited by rupe01; 12-08-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I am reloading LC 30-06 blanks, but as blanks for our American Legion post. So far we haven't found a source (hopefully free) for new gov't production, hence the need to reload.

Boolit Man

Hey Fred.......oh i am sure that as blanks they will be fine as the pressures arent there. Just dont use them for high pressure reloads

Boolit Master

You might send a PM to Grumpa a member here. He converts a lot of brass including the blanks he has a lot of experience with them and is a good guy I'm sure he will point you in the right direction if you ask him. FB

Boolit Grand Master

Just an FYI
    I happened to have some LC 52 '06 blanks here on a belt.
    I took one off and cut it at the shoulder and 1/2" from the head. I also cut a new RP 30-06 case in the same way and compared. They were almost exactly the same in every way except the dimension from the head to the flash hole was .005 smaller on the blank than on the new production (negligible amount IMHO) the wall thickness and the rate of taper was identical.
    They were also of similar harness just judging by how the saw went through them, and taking a few strokes with a file.
    The upshot of all this is that if I were absolutely out of brass with no way to get more, and I had a belt of blanks sitting in the corner, I believe I would use them if they were like the one I observed the other night.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Man

Last edited by rupe01; 12-09-2013 at 07:11 AM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guncrazy View Post
    I have access to some LC 30.06 fired blanks, can I convert them to 8mm brass since I will be trimming off the crimp ?
    There's 2 types of 06 blank brass, the type with the star crimped neck and the folded over a over shot card. I've used both for 8mm conversions and to tell you the truth they are much better to work with. The star crimped type are the best and of course the other can and will work OK but I prefer to work with the star crimped, they seem to work better.

That particular conversion is real easy to do but I use gauges when I do them so they all come out the same. You can go to far down when forming the neck so just be aware of that.

Trimming to length is a bit of a pain but once you get things set up, I'm sure you can breeze right through that step.

When I first started doing the conversion some years ago I really dove into it just looking for something that wouldn't be right, but.....even the weight when done was right on with a factory case and the cases worked very well for the field testers that evaluated the brass I sent them.

Always make sure the brass is squeaky clean and I mean real clean and use a good lube. If by chance you try and use regular 06 cases just make sure they don't have deflector marks or pretty much any imperfections just below the shoulder, they seem to intensify while being reformed.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 12-08-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Man

The conversion IS easy. Getting a new pair of eyes is a little trickier! That one piece is the only piece of brass that has EVER blown out on me. The alloy IS weaker. But, hey, i am just trying to stop anyone else from risking disaster. At least they will know WHY, if it should happen now, i guess. Small comfort, though.