Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: SAA 255 gr & RL7

SAA 255 gr & RL7

Heard somewhere that to get the holy black type boom some were using the likes of H4198 and RL7 in their 45 LC gen 1 SAA's. I don't care if my boom factor is low but I do care if it's to high. 5.5" barrel. Thoughts

went with 18 of alliant 2400. worried about S.E.E.

Thanks for all the replies. Makes me glad for the help I've given here in years past. Apparently "What goes round comes round" is true. This place sure ain't no where near what it was

Boolit Master
    powders too slow burning, may cause a burst cylinder. Blackhorn 209 is a wonderful powder in the 45. 22 grains and a cci 350 will be as fast as original black powder loads.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    SEE is not the problem with that load, but over pressure POSSIBLY is for a 1st generation. Go with the Black Powder or its substitute as suggested. Anything over 15K cup is suspect in weakening the metal somehow, someway. 25 grains of RL7 is fine for a Ruger type, producing 30K max. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 12-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    felix

new colt cylinder and barrel should up the pressure limit somewhat

Boolit Master

What is s.e.e.?

Boolit Master
    A slow rifle powder in a sixgun can do this. The primer goes igniting some of the powder charge, the bullet moves forward into the throat and stops, the rest of the charge ignites and blows to top off the gun. Happened to a friend of mine in a 500 maximum with Reloader 7.

well it's all new colt 2nd gen stuff, but I'm going to try 18 grs of alliant 2400

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    While I don't believe it would be hazardous, you are going to get lots if unburned powder which can jam a revolver mechanism. It does in my 20" lever gun.

18 grains of 2400/255 bullet seems quite a charge for your Colt. Would not do it with mine nor would I go with the rifle powders either.. Have patience if you want a thoughtful answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    18 grains of 2400/255 bullet seems quite a charge for your Colt. Would not do it with mine nor would I go with the rifle powders either.. Have patience if you want a thoughtful answer.
    Ya I even reduced that to 16. The nice thing with cast as opposed to copper clad is less initial pressure spike. 16 grains of 2400 under the 255 is kinda considered the baby sitters load

Boolit Master
    Brian Pearce comments that lab tests reveal that jacketed boolits do not cause a pressure spikes in spite of the jacketed boolits hardness as compared with lead. He uses this example as a justification that revolver manufacturers should tighten up their cylinder throats and can do so without risking higher pressures.

In my .45 SAA's I use 15 gr of 2400, shoot 3rd gens. Then again I've been shooting much more Unique than 2400 in my SAA .45's.