MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 3 generations one rifle 3 deer

Boolit Buddy

3 generations one rifle 3 deer

Back in 1960 I bought a spring field 03A4 brand new thru my gun club and DCM. This was the sniper version with the altered bolt handle and red field scope base. I put a sporter stock a timmey trigger and had the barrel shortened and blued. I went on to shoot my first deer with it. Some 35 years later my oldest son shot his first deer with it. I just got a phone call from WV my Grandson just shot his first deer with it WOW 53 years 3 generations and 3 deer . Something truly of value tks ken

Boolit Master

Nice!

Would be great to see some pictures.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

That's very cool. Yes, photos.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree. I hope he took some photos if so ill post them in the next few days when he gets back. No trophy but a nice little 4 point WV Mountain deer, then again as my Father used to say every Deer is a trophy. tks KEN

Boolit Grand Master

That is pretty cool. Just think, before ya know it you'll be posting one rifle, four generations, four deer.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

That rifle will be taking on hierloom status here real fast. It will become a precious family hand me down. Thats GRANDPAs rifle and the history behind it is growing as it used. Kepp it and use it let the memories grow and expand. Soon it will take on a life of its own. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

You just can't buy history like that. That's what everybody hopes for.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    I am blessed at my age (74) to have four rifles
    1. the 03a4 30-06 mentioned

2. a savage 340 30-30 my dad gave me when I was 12 (62 years ago)
    3. a 22 Remington galley rifle my grandfather left me in 1954 (which virgin valley completely restored for me)
    4. A Winchester model 92 my grandfather left me in 1954 that I had Bain & Davis convert to 357 mag many years ago
    The stories behind these four guns could fill a book and all I plan on passing on to my grandsons . AS I have said before truly something of value. Tks for your time KEN

A few years ago Dad gave me his Dads (my Grandpa) rifle. An '03 Springfield that Grandpa used to hunt with. It has a sporterized stock, but I shot a deer with it a couple years ago. 180gr FN cast boolit that shoots good.
    That was an awesome feeling and I felt like Grandpa was watching, though he died when I was 4 or 5 years old.

Boolit Buddy
    Its hard to beat using those hand me down guns from our Dads and Grand dads . It puts a special meaning into the hunt , to this day I love to use anyone of those 3 rifles that were given to me many years ago tks ken

Boolit Master

Thats so cool, all and I mean every single one of my paternal grandfathers guns are gone!
    Not one ever even made to my father as we lived out of state, one uncle took care of them for "safe keeping" till they could be divy'd up and the just disapeared
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

In 1923 My Grandfather went with my Great Uncle John to buy a NEW 1897 Winchester shotgun and told Gramp's when i die this will be your gun. That was the first shotgun Gramp's ever shot and my Dad's first shotgun. and when lung cancer took John away in 1965 the gun came to our family for good. In 1990 my Son shot the gun for the first time and used it for duck hunting. Now in 2013 my grandson shot the gun for the first time and he will use it for hunting this year. It's good too see someone else passing them down intact and working.

Boolit Grand Master

My Grandfather also bought the 1897 Winchester shot gun, it's already over 100 years old. When grand dad died (well before I was born) my dad got it, my Dad died in 72 and I've had it ever since. I did some pheasant hunting with it in the early 70's and it hasn't been fired since. I take it out every now and then & put some oil on it and someday (hopefully many years from now) my son will have it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    That's pretty cool.

Boolit Buddy
    When we handle these old rifles it rings back the memory of those who gave them to us and the enjoyment we had in their presence. tks ken

"The Way Things Ought To Be." Very uplifting story.
    Cognitive Dissident

great story

Boolit Master
    Awsome.....now some pics!!!