Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: How do YOU attract deer?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deer Corn

63 25.82%
  • Salt/Minerals

34 13.93%
  • Apples

13 5.33%
  • Doe Urine

17 6.97%
  • Food Plot

29 11.89%
  • I hunt over farm crops

20 8.20%
  • Rattle them in

17 6.97%
  • Grunt Call

24 9.84%
  • Not needed, deer are plentiful where I hunt

44 18.03%
  • Nothing, I'm just good at scouting/stalking/waiting forever, etc

75 30.74%
  • Other (Describe in post)

35 14.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU attract deer?

Boolit Master

How do YOU attract deer?

With all these deer falling to CBs I though it might be interesting to see how everyone was bringing them in. Last year the owner of the property I hunt had a fall garden so I guess I was "hunting over crops". This year he didn't so after hunting a few times without seeing anything he threw out a little corn, but I don't think any had found it yet, I just got lucky.

Boolit Master

Al ot of it is being smarter than the salesman that want to sell you a lot of stuff you don't need,
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy

In Alabama most of my time is spent in a deer stand waiting for a deer to come by.

Boolit Master
    Baiting of any kind is illegal in Idaho for big game, that includes salt. Most places I've been in Texas use corn or something similar in their feeders.

Dick

For moose, you just sit and hope one walks into the field Im watching that is legal to shoot.

The couple times that I have been deer hunting was pretty much the same way, although when caribou hunting, it was more of ride around on a snow machine until i found a herd then pick one and shoot it.

Boolit Buddy
    No baiting on public land here in Arkansas. I don't have any land other than my yard so public is where I go. Got to know how to beat them at their own game of hide and seek.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master

No baiting in PA including salt licks. All licks and traces of food(you're allowed to feed out of season) need to be removed thirty days prior to archery opening in late September. That being said people get around it w/ food plots. Most keep it high fenced until this time of year when rifle season starts. I hunt on a farm. This year was soybeans which didn't bring them in. Last year was corn and they were bedding down in it and using it as a food source. The trick is to get there when the combine is running. It's like a dinner bell going off. I've never seen that many deer in the field at once.

Vendor Sponsor

peanut butter .. tie a small rod to a string making a T shape .. thread string thru bottom of jar hang on limb open end down and look out ....Deer love it
    plus some Sure kill doe in heat scent in a 35 MM film canister with cloth as a wick
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    They are drawn to my magnetic personality whilst stalking.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Banned
    Hmmm...let's see....I spent about $80,000 and several years worth of toil to take what used to be a 23 acre farm field of bare dirt and convert it into a spruce/grass/shrub laden oasis. I am surrounded by a near desert of harvested crop fields come season so my little island is a good place for them to stop, eat and rest a bit....most spend their time here unmolested, but the ones I want to shoot rest in pieces in my deep freeze. In a food rich environment a bedroom is what they seek more than anything else apparently. I sit above the bedroom in an elevated treestand or my "shack" and wait til I find one I want. Wandering around hunting in this area will get you trespassing charges or a bullet depending on where you wander.

Early season sut under acorn trees. Rut sit just off of active scrape. Late season green brouse cause they are trying to fatten back up after rut. If i bate for kids i keep rice bran out.
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Master
    Where I hunt on public ground it's really brushy. So brushy the deer tend to have trails they use. I just set up a few yards off where two or five trails come together. This way I have some control over the distance I shoot since I mostly hunt with a 45 colt.
    Here at home I tend to know where the deer travel and just set up accordingly. Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Anything my wife buys from a nursery seems to irresistible to the whitetails! Corn is far and away the most popular attractant in Texas. Whacking deer at a feeder isn't exactly what Jack O'Connor used to write about, but it's actually a form of varmint control around here

Boolit Master
    40 years ago archery hunting I started tuning in to deer as they communicated. At first I thought a pig was around somewhere. Many calls later I have a call that really works and most of my deer are now taken as a result of calling. I called in two nice buck this year but could not get a clear shot. One was with a hot doe and it is hard to seperate them when the passions are high!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I basically sit and watch. There is a natural travel corridor from farm crops , right through my property, to a bedding area and water. Usually, I sit for about 3 hrs in the morning and 3 hrs in the afternoon. There isn't much movement between those times. I have thought of putting in a food plot (although baiting for deer is legal in MI) but other things take up my time and money. The best time to hunt my property is during the rut. That's when I see the most bucks during the day.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Before I leave my car I rub down my boots, outer garments and bow stuff with apples. Half rotten work the best. When I am within 50 feet of my stand for the day I repeat my boots especially the soles. I have had deer tract me. Deer have licked the screw in steps on my tree stand.
    Deer love apples so why not smell like one. But do be carefull when ground hunting. They will sneek up on you. This works real well in East ILLinois river bottoms and woody areas where I hunt.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

free pistol ammo to a buddy that hunts..It's so warm in my loading shack!
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My most effective method it to lean my rifle against a tree. Move away at least 20 feet. Drop my trousers, and hang my nether regions over a log. I also hang a bit of toilet paper from a branch as a white tail imitator.

Works every time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I used a diamond ring, a good engineering job, and money to attract my dear.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA........!

Oh.......sorry........wrong spelling!

Never mind!

banger

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    My most effective method it to lean my rifle against a tree. Move away at least 20 feet. Drop my trousers, and hang my nether regions over a log. I also hang a bit of toilet paper from a branch as a white tail imitator.

Works every time.
    waksupi i've found that very technique works on a wide variety of game.
    You know, it never fails, i don't care what kind of day a fellow's had, you read through cast boolits forums and you'll go to bed with a smile on your face! Yep.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast