Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone fooling with a .458?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    mstarling
    I think that none of the cartridges you mentioned have the looooong lead that is designed into the SAAMI 458 Win mag. I have searched for reamers without this feature but not found any. Of the ones I found if it said 458 Win mag it had the long lead. Of the 458 Lotts I have seen not so. The wildcat you mrntioned I am not familier with. The very thing that made the balistics of the 458 WM possible with bullets in a standard length action is a detriment to most light for caliber boolit designs in the SAAMI 458 WM chamber.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS
    Yes Sir, every thing mstarling speaks of is very shootable in cast. They dont have the wobble throat of the win mag chamber

Boolit Grand Master
    Great to read about so many fans of the .458. I took a .458 WM Ruger and reamed it to the Lott. My reamer has only the one job on it. Very easy. So far I've only really toyed with the 405 "J" Remington bullet. As time permits, I'll move over to the boolits. So far I've used 3031 to the best effect, but my experience is way limited. One of the play loads is 9 grs. of Unique and a round ball. From plinker round ball loads to full power house loads, the Lott is a gas. Just got some of the Midway 1/2 price sale bullets (500 gr solids) but haven't loaded a single one. Too much fun, too little time. Like the others here, I would reccomend not passing on a .458. Get it and enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    I had a M98 someone built into a 458 Win Mag. I won it in a bet.

I used it to cure a flinch problem I was having. 5 controlled shot from a bench did the trick!

After that I had no use for the power so used it with black powder and 450 grain hollow based bullets.

I could only get +/- 85 grains in the case so considered and called it a belted 45-90.

That was before I learned better loading techniques and had not yet heard of the 45-80.

Anyway, it was a fun gun with black and harvested a couple of deer. Sold it off and have no idea what replaced it.

So... a long way of saying, if you want a good reduced load, try black powder.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Ranger bob- I have some 462560's if you still want to try a few. PM me.

Galena Guru

I've been foolin' with 458 Winnies and Lott's since the mid 70's ..

They are very versatile with the cast boolits and a lotta fun to boot ..

Get it , you wont regret it ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Bub
    Nazgul,

Private Message sent.

Thanks,

RangerBob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12