RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: .22 Automiatic Rifle Rimfire

Boolit Buddy

.22 Automiatic Rifle Rimfire

I've had this ammo for a long time and have never seen a rifle that shoots this ammo. Are the rifles rare, does anyone have a photo of the rifle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1450 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	89138

Boolit Master

I have the rifle.

Winchester model 1903. The father of the Winchester model 63.

I have not seen a box of that ammo since around 1960/
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I have one also. Don't have a pic right now, but will try to take one and post tomorrow. The ammunition you have is obsolete except for a run Aguila made about a year or so ago. I think it was selling for around $ 20.00 a box IIRC and I don't know if any of that is still available. What you have should bring a nice price if you want to sell it. I seem to remember a post somewhere where someone sold a box for $50.00 at a gun show.
    2AMMD

They are worth more as collecter items then as ammunition to shoot.

The rifle that uses your .22 Automatic ammo is specified right on the box's end label - the Winchester Model 1903

Remington posed a similar situation, 1914-29, with their Model 16 autoloader chambered in the proprietary .22 Remington (the ammo is now unobtainium)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

Pietro, thanks for posting the rifle photo. It sure does look like a Winchester model 63.

Boolit Master
    I have also. Somebody chromed mine.

In Remembrance
    At the last gun show we had, one guy had several of these rifles, and plenty of ammo. I don't know how well the rifles sold, but the ammo was selling pretty good. I see them for sale once in a while, but have stayed away from them, as ammo will never be readily available for them.

CTD still list's the AGUILA ammo for $21.00+. I can't bring myself to pay that much for .22 of any kind. Wish I could. The really nice thing about these guns is the take down design of the action. Makes them real easy to clean. They are really balanced and they don't jamb up w/the right ammunition. I wish you could still buy the ammunition at a fair price. I really like mine, feels good, fits, light, and comfortable. Never shot enough to to check accuracy, but Winchester took some pride and made pretty good guns at that time.
    2AMMD

Boolit Master
    Would it be possible to remove the bullet and powder from a .22 Winchester Magnum cartridge, cut the case to the proper length then reload using a proper powder charge and cast lead Boolit?

Many years ago I read of .22 Magnum empty primed cases being sold to those who liked to experiment with different bullets and such. Don't know if you can still get these.
    If still available making the auto cartridge from these could put a few of these old rifles back in the field.

The thin tube chamber inserts for use of the .22 LR in a .22 Magnum chamber might be cut to the proper length and the rifle used as a single shot.

Also if a take down rifle having a spare barrel made to fit and chambered for the .22 LR might work, if the internals will feed that cartridge without modifications that would ruin collector value. The original barrel could be put back in place at any time.

Boolit Mold
    Well Aguila still makes some, I have some I have picked up at gunshows and have some new coming but at 40.00CDN per 50 it is pricey for us canucks.