MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What magazines are tried and true for the 1911?

Boolit Master

What magazines are tried and true for the 1911?

Not trying to start a massive debate with brand loyalty, but I just ordered a GI Milspec RIA 1911 and don't know where to start. I understand cheap mags can be a waste of money, so I don't mind spending good money for good quality. Thanks

Love Life
    Wilson Combat Service Plus.

-The End.

I've got the same question....

I have used "cheap" GI mags with no real issues, but I don't think they will hold up over time. I have a Wilson combat that works great if I only load 7 into it. (It holds 8.) When I put 8 into it, it has to be pushed hard to lock it into the gun. (This is not the magazines fault, it is mine.)

I also have a couple of Kimber magazines that work well.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Love Life
    #608 1911 Wilson Combat Service Mag Plus.

It's a 7 rd magazine (gasp), and has the correct profile for feeding your 1911 reliably.

Love Life
    Colt factory magazines are also very solid.

Boolit Master

There's a lot of different makes on the market and most work very well in most 1911's. I think I have run most of them at one time or another but settled down to the Wilson 47D and several years ago I also added the Tripp mags and have never experienced any problems with them. They are on the expensive side but doing it right the 1st time always saves you money in the long run. Took me a few years to figure that out.

You will need to change out springs every so often but that is what I consider part of normal maintenance.

The 8-rounders slip up and lock in very easily when the slide is open - on a closed slide one needs to rap/push it pretty solidly, otherwise it will probably either cause a mis-feed or fall out after the 1st or 2nd round.
    Last edited by ole 5 hole group; 11-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Banned
    I have 3 colt mags I have used since 1972 and 4 meggar they all work as they should.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a Checkmate mags. I use the hybrid lips but would also use the tapered lip mags.

Boolit Buddy
    The Wilson and Tripp mags mentioned above are good and I'm also growing quite fond of the newer Kimber KimPro Tac Mags. They're priced well and have functioned 100% for me across several 1911's. The base is easily removed for cleaning/maintenance and they come with a flush metal base and a thin and thick bumper pad with each mag that's easy to swap out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149029/

You can probably beat the price if you shop around maybe, but there's a link to show you what I'm talking about. I'm buying them for $20 + tax at my LGS.

I'm getting great service from my Checkmate magazines in both .45 acp and 10mm in my 1911's. I can't say the same for some of the others, but these have proven to be good.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Wilson, Tripp, checkmate I've all had good luck with.

Interest says Kimbers are not great, but I've never had an issue.

I've used CMC as well, but be careful if using on an alloy frame as some of their followers can gouge the frame.

Just gotta try them and see what works. Number them and keep track.

Boolit Bub

I have 6 RIA pistols, they come with ACT Mags. I have 13 of them, no problems.
    shoot your pistol first see how it works, before buying others that don't work. their pistols are Warrantied to work with Act. mags, if you have a problem,just call them.....RIA in NV..............1-775-537-1444or1445

Boolit Buddy
    I can say this from experience but 1911s are picky. Example I have a Springfield 1911. I have a cheap triple K mag and a Wilson combat. I have nothing but problems with the WC and all but great success from the triple k

Suggestion: buy 1 of each brand you can find and test them. No point in buying 10 WC mags if the Mec-Gar works better. The ones you don't like (no free drop, FTF/FTE) and sell them on the use market. You could always buy that from that company down the road but at least you have a starting point. Also I have never seen one 1911 yet that works with every mag yet but then again Pro-Mag skews those results a lot.

Way back in 1979 I bought a brand new in the box series 70 Government Model Colt in .45 ACP which we rebuilt into my match gun for IPSC. (Match grade SS Bar Sto barrel, new sights, etc.) At the same time I ordered 8 Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" stainless 8 round magazines to use in competition. I still have all 8 of those magazines and they still work perfectly in my Colt and every other gun we've ever tried them in. I've never found a better a quality magazine and they feed flawlessly with all 8 rounds ... and in IPSC reliability is often just as important as accuracy, power and speed! DVC ...!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Way back in 1979 I bought a brand new in the box series 70 Government Model Colt in .45 ACP which we rebuilt into my match gun for IPSC. (Match grade SS Bar Sto barrel, new sights, etc.) At the same time I ordered 8 Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" stainless 8 round magazines to use in competition. I still have all 8 of those magazines and they still work perfectly in my Colt and every other gun we've ever tried them in. I've never found a better a quality magazine and they feed flawlessly with all 8 rounds ... and in IPSC reliability is often just as important as accuracy, power and speed! DVC ...!
    Just the opposite of my findings, they were undependable for every day real life use.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Animal, you will find the RIA very forgiving. My son's has never given him a bit of trouble. IMHO it's one of the best buys on the market today, dollar for dollar.

Boolit Master

I used to run Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8 rders and 7 rders (Officers) for ISPC in the early 90s without issue. My go to war mags for my issued M1911s were the McCormick, issued USGI and issued Wilson 47D 8/10 rd mags. Never had any problems with them in the sandbox.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Another question...

Is anything about the magazine an integral part of the firearms break-in process? (I'm coming from the six-gun side of the house). I ask this because I'd like to feed the weapon about 500 rds of factory FMJ for the 'break in' period before I start reloading for it. 500 rds is going to cost a pretty penny and I want to make sure my money goes to the right components.

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by nightal View Post
    I have 6 RIA pistols, they come with ACT Mags. I have 13 of them, no problems.
    shoot your pistol first see how it works, before buying others that don't work. their pistols are Warrantied to work with Act. mags, if you have a problem,just call them.....RIA in NV..............1-775-537-1444or1445
    I have an RIA also, of the two Act Mags I recv'd with the pistol - one works perfectly, the other never works. I purchased another Act Mag at a gun show, it works perfectly also.

The one that doesn't work is marked - I'm going to do something with it someday

Boolit Buddy
    Wilson!!!!!