Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spur up or spur down

Boolit Mold

spur up or spur down

I put my spur down, reason I want the smooths part of the ball up, it is going through the air first. How do I know the spur is centered down, I put the rb on the bench, on the spur and put a dot of black marker on them.

Charlie

Boolit Master

After shooting a blue million round balls both ways and some wrong ways in the end I don't think there is much difference. The quality and fit of the patch will make 100 times more difference.

Banned

Spurs up or down, my horse don't like them either way!

I put my sprue up for my ML.

Perm-Banned
    keep them rolling, thats the second one ive read this morning that kept me laughing for 5 minutes. i was married to a speech path. english masters degree lady once, i got that every day 10 times a day. that was a lot of years ago. my english is better now and i also learned french, im still laughing.

Boolit Master
    I've short-started my sprue's in side-ways on a few occasions having one to many barley pops. But upside down never occurred to me. I guess there's always a better way.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The rear of the boolit is the guidance system. Sprue up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Don't doubt it, but in shotguns most recommend sprue down for the big balls

Boolit Grand Master

I don't really think it matters much either way but I shoot Lees that don't have a spur, just a flat spot, so I've never pay much attention to it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    I put my spur down, reason I want the smooths part of the ball up, it is going through the air first. How do I know the spur is centered down, I put the rb on the bench, on the spur and put a dot of black marker on them.

Charlie

Ballistically it makes no difference whatsoever. But by seating the ball sprue up you will always know where it is, if it's centered and that it's not against the bore.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

just do it the same way every time and enjoy

Had the same conversation here for my 56 cal smooyhbore spur up makes a good guide for the rod

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The rear of the boolit is the guidance system. Sprue up.
    I think the "rear" that steers is the part that is the last to touch barrel steel.

I doubt the center of the base does much, unless it would be out of balance.

I DO remember reading, where if the nose of the roundball was damaged, accuracy went wild.

I wish I could find that article.
    IIRC it was in a ML manual/book by Fadala... but my memory fails me now
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I remember reading long time ago that with the sprue down centered is the most accurate. However in the same article it also stated that it is almost impossible to make sure the sprue is completely centered so the next best is to have the sprue centered out. Has to do with balance of the round ball. I have always loaded sprue up, and with my solid brass ramrod I figure I end up without a sprue anyway.
    mato pezuta
    Just picking brains, mines worn out.

Boolit Master
    I put sprue up I am going to get a flat spot fromt he ram rod any way might as well only have one , if you follow the logic of conicals or cartridge boolit that you can have a big flat nose , a round nose or a pointy nose boolit in the same barrel and they shoot accurately , so long as the last part of the boolit the tail is good it doesn't steer the boolit off course

you can see the air flow in high speed stop action photography , and the nose makes little difference in the air distortions , but the tail can cause a ripple

it probably matters less in round balls as we just don't shoot them that far or spin them that fast although i do shoot them in a 1:28 with decent results sprue up , and even when we do shoot them far they are already falling sub sonic and breaking the trans sonic barrier that will cause some disturbance to the flight

Boolit Buddy
    Sprue up. If you are not getting a small flat spot on top of the ball after it's started in the bore, it's too small or your patch is too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    most recommend sprue down for the big balls
    This seems like it should be the punchline to a joke.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirt View Post
    Sprue up. If you are not getting a small flat spot on top of the ball after it's started in the bore, it's too small or your patch is too thin.
    What do you mean by a "small flat spot"? Do you mean the sprue, or are you referring to actually making a dent in the ball while seating it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

Charlie
    I thought this was a cowboy question and was trying to figure out what you where talking about. I have some familiarity with both "spurs" and "sprues", so it took me a while to break the code.

On round balls or doubled ended bullets, folks load them with the sprues up. The powder gas needs a uniform surface on which to push. Accuracy is better than way.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Hmm, yeah some of the commenters are using that word; "Spur". The term is sprue, pronounced /Sproo/, rhymes with "stew". It's a general casting term, referring to the hole into which you pour the molten metal, and also the solid metal shaft that remains and must be cut off after it's frozen. What we refer to as the "sprue" on a lead ball is the sprue remnant. That is if we want to pick nits. The sprue is cut off completely on other bullet designs, but the round ball make complete removal virtually impossible unless you want to end up with a flat spot that cuts down into the circumference of the ball (I have a 36 caliber ball mold that does just that, but the flat spot still has to be oriented on top, same as a protruding sprue nub, otherwise you could get some blow-by there).

"Sprues", "gates" and "risers" are typical in other casting techniques, but in bullet casting we only need the sprue.
    Last edited by Omnivore; 12-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    What do you mean by a "small flat spot"? Do you mean the sprue, or are you referring to actually making a dent in the ball while seating it?
    yes ,how much depends on the contour of you short starter but best accuracy seems to come with a patch that is tight enough that the starter leaves a flat spot on the ball , with other contoured short starters it leaves a ring because it is cupped , but soft lead with a tight patch often leaves a mark on the front of the ball

my hand gets sore from the ball starter after 50 rounds