Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ,50 Beowulf 440 Lee Cast bullets

Boolit Master
    I’ve used surplus powder from GI brass that was described as a flake version of 4759. In previous tests it appeared about 10% faster than regular IMR 4759 velocities.

Range test 03-21-19
    Alexander Arms upper
    MP 400 solid FNGC PC
    CCI 350 Mag Pistol
    26.0 flake surplus 4759...1631 fps.
    COAL 2.00”
    Bullet diameter .501”, PCed and Hornady GCs

Groups at 50 yards easily attained 1” and less.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Notwithstanding case differencesL
    - The 500S&W is a 62,000psi cartridge, fully-supported stem-to-stern in a revolver cylinder
    - The BeoWoof is -- by design* -- 33,000 psi, with the rear web section left at least partially unsupported in a normal rimless-case rifle chamber.

Apricots & grapefruit as far as straight load translation goes.

*Among other reasons, so as to function with a normal 5.56 carbine spring/buffer system
    As I understand it, he is not saying to use 500 S&W load data. What he is saying is that in quickload you can adjust variables with the powder burn rate... So adjust quickload to give an output that matches known data, then use that variable when doing your Beo calculations. This may hold or not as the pressures are very different.

Again, he is not saying to get your load data from 500 S&W, it is just that they both have the same bore dimensions and similar expansion ratios...

FWIW

See Post #36, and then
    Read Post #37

I fear that was an apples and apples comparison as to why the Alexander Arms difference in loadout between what 'appeared' to be similar 500S&W & the 50Woooof

Banner Sponsor

Mehavey, I apologize for the misquote. My post was meant to support your Quickload comments, but in reading, I lost track of who said what.

Back when WC820 was avalible, I was using alot of it in my 454 and other cartridges. I adjusted the burn rate curve of a powder profile to match what my actual chronograph readings were in the 454. I saved that profile as WC820.pro, then used that profile for 30-06, 30-30, 45Colt... and the Quickload predictions were very close to the actual velocities.

Not to worry. I'm having the same QL fun with the 350 Legend and cast in an AR15 -- no published data at all.

Chronograph, QL, and burn rate adjust/calibration/pressure curves off first-shot/mid-pressure trials 'R Us.

Boolit Junkie
    I started a new thread on something similar to this. Probably should have posted here first.

I’m shooting an mp 502-385 hp pc no gas check behind 39 grains of imr 4227. I worked the load up, can’t see any pressure signs, but am concerned as I have found no load data. AA upper, 16 inch bbl. 1600 FPS. Good accuracy and clean barrel. Gotta be somebody here using the same combination. Thanks.

Boolit Man
    This thread sure got off topic from the LEE 440....

Boolit Bub
    hey folks, whats a good hardness for the rounds if casting? im using the lee 440 mold, current alloy is dropping in cold water at 17.9
    too soft? too hard?

Get rid of the cold water.
    Air cool them and report the BHN.

Nothing over 15, maybe 13/14.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like I need to get some v-n110. I was going to try some loads around the 30gr of 2400. I also have some accurate 1680 I was going to try to find a load for. There is still very limited data for anything casg and . 50 beo.

Boolit Man
    Last weekend I tried out the 440’s with 13.5 and 14gr of green dot searching for a subsonic load. The brass ejected but itS on the verge of the bolt locking back on an empty mag. Pressures looked good but no chronograph data yet. The gun is a suppressed 10.5” barrel and had an h2 buffer in it so that will get changed out for a standard one next time.

Slightly off topic, I bought a 600gr mold from here and with 18.5gr lil gun It’s at 1040 fps. Best part is that it cycles.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried a function test on a new upper build today, LEE 440, powder coated and sized to 501 without a gas check. The load was 40gr R-7, the gun wouldn't feed from the magazine, a mag 20 rounder with a new follower for the big rounds and the front relieved to feed. Bullet hanging up on the ramp in the barrel extension. A BCA barrel. Seems the meplat on this bullet is tricky in the AR but nobody here had that problem. Advice?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Tried a function test on a new upper build today, LEE 440, powder coated and sized to 501 without a gas check. The load was 40gr R-7, the gun wouldn't feed from the magazine, a mag 20 rounder with a new follower for the big rounds and the front relieved to feed. Bullet hanging up on the ramp in the barrel extension. A BCA barrel. Seems the meplat on this bullet is tricky in the AR but nobody here had that problem. Advice?
    i have the same barrel and had to polish the feed ramp. not saying this will fix everything, it could also be the mags or how deep you seated the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    So, I did some feed ramp work and some mag work and it appears to have solved the problem. Using a dummy round I could see where and how it was hanging up and about five installments of light dremel work, trying the dummy round in between solved my problem, at least when feeding that single round from a magazine. A good cleaning and a live fire test is next. Was tempted to figure out a way to make that bullet int a spire point too but I like the factory design. I enlarged the top face of the mag, moved the feed lips slightly back and installed a single-stack follower (in a 20-rd Magpul magazine.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123