Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Stop Ring Bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Stop Ring Bullet

What is a stop ring bullet? I have not heard this term used before. I’m researching the 8.15x46R cartridge and find the term used often.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of info on this site. Search stop ring bullet here and you’ll find the answer it looks to me like.

Boolit Master
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/320-180-...vity-jim320180

Looks like instead of a lube groove, it has a ring around the boolit.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 43-200Q and 200QL are both stop-ring bullets for the .44-40 Winchester which are suited for barrels having tight-necked chambers, but with loose barrel groove diameter. The driving bands below the crimp groove are .427-.428 to provide neck release clearance, whereas the nose diameter above the crimp groove drops as-cast about .448" so that the nose flange can be sized to fit the cone diameter at the origin of rifling. In worn antique rifles the bullet can be seated by hand, pushing the bullet nose against the edge of a table, and the bullet crimped with blasting cap crimpers to stake the case neck into the crimp groove.

When using the Redding Profile Crimp die (preferred) or the Lee Factory Crimp (OK, but second best) in .44-40, the crimp die swages the enlarged nose to form a 1/16" wide front driving band above the crimp groove, which corresponds to the interior diameter of the ball seat of the crimp die, generally .430-.431"

Attachment 271822Attachment 271823Attachment 271824Attachment 271825

The 7.2 grain Bullseye load in the target shown is a "Group 2" load suitable only for the Winchester 92, Marlin 1894 and Ruger revolvers.

Using current Alliant Bullseye DO NOT exceed 6 grains for use in the Winchester 1873, Gen1 and Gen 2 Colt Frontier Six Shooters and the Uberti and Pietta clones.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-20-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

So are these boolits similar to a heeled boolit?

Boolit Grand Master

I found out what a stop ring bullet is. Here’s an example of the one I’m interested in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BFDD04FF-ECC5-48AC-B978-93DB45827877.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    So are these boolits similar to a heeled boolit?
    Similar, but not exactly. The Accurate .44-40 bullet shown in my post #4 is a heeled bullet, and its enlarged nose functions in the same manner as a stop ring, to prevent the bullet from telescoping more deeply into the case from compression of the tubular magazine spring.

A true Euro-style stop-ring bullet as you illustrate in your post #6 has a wider front band of full throat diameter.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    So, bullet seated so the case mouth is below the stop ring? Lube in the grooves ahead of the stop ring needed for the band behind, but exposed in the loaded cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    So, bullet seated so the case mouth is below the stop ring? Lube in the grooves ahead of the stop ring needed for the band behind, but exposed in the loaded cartridge?
    Back in the day that is how it was done.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those were also called "dirt scrapers in some of the old bullet molds, Dr. Hudson designed a couple of molds with dirt scrapers, as did a fellow named Horace Kephart, back when Grand Dad was in short pants. They were originally intended for use in the 30-40 Krag, which was the government issue arm of the day. The theory being that the enlarged ring would scrape the ash and unburnt powder out of the rifle bore so the boolit could fly unimpeded to the target. Each shot would clear away the debris from the one ahead of it. I have never worked with one, but I would think it would be the berries for 5744.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    For a stop ring, the base band is tapered so only about half of the band is in the case. Think breach seating. Lyman/Ideal made a mold in 30cal, works good in my o3a3.

I'm trying to figure out how I might make a nose pour smooth sided boolit mold with a stop ring. I have an idea but it might have trouble with stuff getting between the mating faces.

I'm thinking that if those dirt scraper boolits actually improved accuracy, it would not be due to the dirt scraping effect but rather just having that fatter ring sealing the bore or filling the throat or something along those lines. I like the idea of the stop ring as a stop ring. No more needing to get neck and boolit sizes just so, so they can't be pushed down into the neck. I think it's a great idea.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''