WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Midsouth Shooters Supply has Bator & Soup Can Molds in stock

Boolit Grand Master

I cast just enough to get the wrinkles stopped and here are what my boolits measure at. This is a bare boolit.
    Length= .530" with no gas check
    diameter= .225" on driving bands, GC shank is .210" and my copper checks from 338RemUltraMag fit good. no runout!
    weight= 51.5gr with my blend of COWW, isotope, reclaimed shot, and misc lead. 17BHN.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your reply leadman..
    Been using .226"+ RCBS clone in my .222 and that size seems to work nicely..
    Nose however is undersized for my bore at .218"..
    I can't relate to your alloy as I just use WW and Pb mixed usually..
    I should probably just order a Bator 2 banger and chance it..

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I just purchased the Lee special order 55gr. Bator 22 caliber mold and it still shows in stock. The Lee 130gr 7mm Special Order Soup Can also shows in stock.
    Haven't seen these in stock in awhile so buy while you can.
    I bought the last 7mm soupcan months ago. Was in stock, I hit submit, then it was out of stock.

I am surprised, I thought these were custom run orders? LEE finally made it through the backlog and is filling customs again?

Either way, good news to hear! I fear I may like the NOE hunter better than the soupcan (hint, anyone wanna trade? =D), but I have to admit I really like the soupcan heaps.

Boolit Master

I would say " Do not fear the 6 Cavity" . Mine works well and does not seem too difficult to keep at temperature. I got this one from another member here and was happy to get it. However, the drawing on the Midsouth page shows a .220" nose diameter, but the mold i have is .225" nose diameter which is a little snug in my AR chamber. The dimension at the bands is also .225". If someone orders a new mold and finds that they would prefer a fatter nose diameter I would be happy to discuss a trade with them. As cast weight is about 52.5 gr with my mutt alloy.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 12-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Super Moderator

What are you guys using for a top punch for the 22 bator?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    What are you guys using for a top punch for the 22 bator?
    A custom one made by theperfessor
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    A custom one made by theperfessor
    Who is the perfessor? I will need a punch for it also.
    Thanks
    Tom

Super Moderator

He is a vendor sponsor on the site. Search his name and you will find him. I know he was having some health problems and hope he is doing OK. I think he may have taken some time off.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Who is the perfessor? I will need a punch for it also.
    Thanks
    Tom
    He may or may not be able to do machining, due to his current health conditions ? But, be sure to contact him anyway, he may have some top punches in 22 cal on the shelf. I use "5 minute" epoxy and my Lyman 45 as a jig...be sure to oil/grease the boolit well for release.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Nose-Punches

BTW, I got my midsouth shipment yesterday. They sent me the 6-cavity bator by mistake and am waiting instructions to return it, I suspose it'll be the end of next week before the 2 cavity arrives
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

Is the 284-130 the 7 mm soup can? If not, it is no longer listed as are also no .225's! Many, many other Lee moulds though! Very interesting!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    Is the 284-130 the 7 mm soup can? If not, it is no longer listed as are also no .225's! Many, many other Lee moulds though! Very interesting!
    Dan,
    you need to look at the page "SPECIAL ORDER MOULDS" in their "LEAD BULLET CASTING" section

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ortItem=Newest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well I ordered the 6 banger .225 bator last night. I'll report back when I receive it and get a chance to use it.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Well I ordered the 6 banger .225 bator last night. I'll report back when I receive it and get a chance to use it.
    I received my 6cav yesterday & cast today. It is not easy to cast those itty bitty bulits in that big mold.

Although I got good bullets right away my discard rate was about 10% after I learned how to regulate the flow rate & heat. Being so small it was easy to get a little error if the pour wasn't just right.

I wonder if I will be able to actually be able to seat checks on that little thing. I had trouble with 7mm & 6.5 with my big hands & I'm shaky with little stuff.

Any idea what hardness should be used on this? I was just using COWWs with a little tin water quenched. This was mainly to try out the new mold & melter plus I needed some 300gr .454s.

I guess this is for another thread but have any of you noticed that the Lee 20# heats very hot? I had mine down to 0 trying to get the temp down under 700.

It also was my first time using my new Lee 20#. It is not a caster friendly unit, especially with a 6cav. I also cast a Lyman 2cav & RCBS 2cav which were easier but still not as easy as the Lee10#.

Any suggestions on loads for this 22? BTW it dropped at 51gr w/o GC so should be right at 55 with.

I am going to start off with Rem 22-250 & Sav .223. I have heard this is not the bullet for an AR. I think 1 is a 9 twist & the other a 14.

Also, I did contact the perfessor & he is not doing any work due to his medical problems.

Any ideas on a proper bunch for this?
    Thanks
    Tom

Moderator Emeritus

I received my 6cav yesterday & cast today. It is not easy to cast those itty bitty bulits in that big mold.

Although I got good bullets right away my discard rate was about 10%
    with 22 cal boolits, the importance of culling out boolits with even the tinyest flaws is crucial for accuracy. I bet when you get to looking them over more closely, you'll find that you'll reject more than 10%. I know I do. Oh, and don't forget the weight sorting.

after I learned how to regulate the flow rate & heat. Being so small it was easy to get a little error if the pour wasn't just right.

I wonder if I will be able to actually be able to seat checks on that little thing. I had trouble with 7mm & 6.5 with my big hands & I'm shaky with little stuff.

Any idea what hardness should be used on this?
    what pressure are you gonna load to ?
    read this:
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    specifically the section titled, "Approximate "Maximum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)"

I was just using COWWs with a little tin water quenched. This was mainly to try out the new mold & melter plus I needed some 300gr .454s.

I guess this is for another thread but have any of you noticed that the Lee 20# heats very hot? I had mine down to 0 trying to get the temp down under 700.
    WHAT ? something sounds wrong !

It also was my first time using my new Lee 20#. It is not a caster friendly unit, especially with a 6cav. I also cast a Lyman 2cav & RCBS 2cav which were easier but still not as easy as the Lee10#.

Any suggestions on loads for this 22?
    Do you have a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook ? If your copy has the caliber you want to load for, they will list load data.

BTW it dropped at 51gr w/o GC so should be right at 55 with.
    22 GC's are not that heavy

I am going to start off with Rem 22-250 & Sav .223. I have heard this is not the bullet for an AR.
    I think 1 is a 9 twist & the other a 14.
    Lee's version of the Bator 'might' be stable flying out of your 1:9 barrel, But that short fat nosed boolit will truely love being pushed through the 1:14 barrel. I'd start with loads that acheive a MV of around 1600fps, then work up til accuracy goes south. You may have issues with chambering (ie:seating depth), if your rifle has a tight chamber.

Also, I did contact the perfessor & he is not doing any work due to his medical problems.

Any ideas on a proper bunch for this?
    since this have a flat nose, you could look for a flat 22 cal punch, or make one if you're handy? I know Accurate Molds offers flat nose punches with his molds, but maybe not for 22 cal. But if you ask him, he could probably make one special for you.

Thanks
    Tom
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy

I have both the Lee 10lb and 20lb and rarely use the 10 now. If you are down at or near 0 and still at 700 degrees, I agree you have a problem. Maybe a defective thermostat? I would contact Lee. Mine is normally between 6 and 7 with a full pot. I turn it down a little when it gets below half way. I don't have a thermometer.

The only issue I have with the 20 is that when it is full, the stream comes out so fast it's easy to overload the sprue plate. That usually goes away when the level is an inch or so below the top. If I'm using a 6 cavity mold, I prefer to use the 20. I also use it for my MP 4 cavity molds. Most of what I cast is 200+ gr and the 10 lb empties way too fast.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been casting 22 caliber boolits in a Lyman mold for 12 years or so. I have found that Linotype is the best alloy to use. A 10/1 lead to tin may work alright also. I have tried softer alloys but always had a reject rate that was too high for me.
    The Bator has a very small flat nose so a flat punch should work good. I use the Hi-Tek coating so bought a .225" Lee sizing die.
    I cast about 500 of these boolits this morning and the mold worked perfect. The lino sets up fast so really appreciated the new style sprue plate lever with increased travel. No problem even cutting warm lino after I had a phone call after just filling the mold.

I have used 7 grs of 700X in the 223 Rem for a light load and 24 grs of H4895 for a high velocity load with the LYMAN 46GR. boolit. Will probably have to load a little lighter for this Bator 55gr boolit.

Good to know leadman. I too ordered a Lee .225 sizer. I'll be PC these for my brothers .223 and my CZ527 in .221

I have lots of Lino on hand, I'll give that a try.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    They sent me the 6-cavity bator by mistake and am waiting instructions to return it, I suspose it'll be the end of next week before the 2 cavity arrives
    Hey Jon, I'll buy the 6 cavity from you and save you having to return it, if that works for you.

Regards

Ron

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AKtinman View Post
    Hey Jon, I'll buy the 6 cavity from you and save you having to return it, if that works for you.
    Regards
    Ron
    Ron,
    Good to know, they haven't responded to my email that I sent them on the 6th, yet. I'll try to work that into the conversation, when they reply.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast