Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini 14 or Mini 30?

Boolit Master

Mini 14 or Mini 30?

I've been going back and forth between the two for weeks now, help me decide.

The rifle will mainly be used for fun shooting, but might be called on for close range hunting of small whitetail, turkey, coyotes, etc.

I'm already set up to reload and cast for 223 and 7.62x39. I've got a nice AR15 and an AK in 5.56, also AK and SKS in 7.62. I just like the classic look of the Mini, and have owned a mini 14 before but sold it due to poor accuracy. The new minis are supposed to be much better in that department.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned

Based on everything you wrote, either one. Since I don't do 7.63x39 I would go for .223. Love the Mini 14s, as reliable as a gun gets and handle like a dream.

In Remembrance
    I never used a mini-30 but on the other hand I have a mini-14 that seems to hit a fly's boiler room at 100yds no problem. The only thing I can say either way is personally I would go with the mini-14. reloading for the 223 is cheap and a breeze compared to the 76.2x39 cartridge.

I look from time to time at J-Somethings and with my budget I wouldn't be able to afford to reload for the 7.62x39 compared to the 223 cartridge.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Get the Mini-30........ A lot easier to feed cast and accurate to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    I to would choose the mini-30. Rick!

I have 223 Mini-14 and SKS - for cast plinking I'd pick Mini-30 - if you are going to swage .224 from empty 22 LR them .223
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Agree 100%.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    ...... and have owned a mini 14 before but sold it due to poor accuracy. The new minis are supposed to be much better in that department.
    I fear you may be disappointed again, I was. 4.5" at 100 yds., wasn't any better then the first 180- series I owned . I had no compulsion to "work" with it (past trying different loads) when I have an AR that will best that by a factor of 3 with the "worst" ammo I feed it. So Mini 14 #2 went down the road as well. Hopefully I've learned my lesson. Good news was I sold it for more than I paid for it brand new.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Agree 100%.

Larry Gibson
    +1 on that.

Have alot of experience with the Minis and the Ruger is ALOT more useful in .30 cal. (7.62x39) than it is in 5.56.

Marry it to a cast bullet load which works, and you can still use any milsurp which spills off the alien spaceship

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    I had different results with the mini-30 I owned.
    Accurate was not a word to describe that rifle.
    Not even close.
    Easy handling - nice looking rifle - I wanted to like it but just couldn't get past those crummy groups. I'd rank mine as no better than most mini 14s - probably a bit worse. Given the poor performing mini 14s I've known that's a stern condemnation. Are the new minis better? Maybe - but "only accurate rifles are interesting" and the new minis would have to be a lot better to make them interesting to me.
    <
    Uncle R.

On Heaven's Range

Well, here's a contrary opinion.

I bought a new Mini-14 in 2010. It has simply been excellent.

With a Leupold 1-4X Mark AR scope aboard, it ROUTINELY groups five rounds inside 1.5 inches from the bench at 100 yards.... ROUTINELY. On occasion, it has made the magical one-inch group, but I can safely say that it is a dependable 1.5-inch grouper.

It has never fired a factory load, as far as I can recall. The only bullet I've used is the 55-grain Hornady V-Max @ 3100 fps, and I have no plans to change.

NVCurmudgeon also bought a new Mini when I did, and his rifle shoots just as well as mine, if not a little bit better. He uses the same bullet as I do. Both of these rifles are of the newer tapered and heavier-barrel type.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Both of these rifles are of the newer tapered and heavier-barrel type.
    In all fairness my last one was not one of these so it sounds like there has been improvement. I would sure hope so. I still don't think I'll buy another one.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I know this may be an odd question but which one (without going online) can you get the most magazines. That's the one I would choose. Mind you Im not a fan of either platform mainly because the cost of a firearms with very limited accessories vs an AR for the same price range

Boolit Buddy
    as a side note Id go and look at the SIG 556R (7.62x39) same price range and is a piston system. Its had its fair share of problems when they first came out but haven't heard anything new

(must of double tapped oh well)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    I had different results with the mini-30 I owned.
    Accurate was not a word to describe that rifle.
    Not even close.
    Easy handling - nice looking rifle - I wanted to like it but just couldn't get past those crummy groups. I'd rank mine as no better than most mini 14s - probably a bit worse. Given the poor performing mini 14s I've known that's a stern condemnation. Are the new minis better? Maybe - but "only accurate rifles are interesting" and the new minis would have to be a lot better to make them interesting to me.
    <
    Uncle R.
    The results you get depend highly on what you feed the gun (other various 7.62x39 rifles are the same.... highly dependent on what they're fed). Surplus ammo in this caliber is pretty dismal most of the time. Some commercial ammo does very well (one lot of PMC did well and another poorly) and proven handloads do better. Some choices people make either hinder or help them..... your mileage will vary by knowing the difference or not.

Boolit Master
    I've had both. Sold off the Mini-14 years ago, bought a Mini-30. The mini-14 I had, I wore out. To be fair, both are about a 2-3 moa out of the box. Special consideration has to be given to the Mini-30 because, at least the SS ranch rifle I have, has a .308 barrel. Reloading J words, you use standard .308. In the manual it clearly states not to use surplus ammo for this reason. Standard RCBS 7.62 X 39 dies come with expander balls for both .308 and .311. Have not had a chance to try cast in this yet, but I'd treat it as if it was a standard 30 cal. Make sure and slug the barrel first. With Sierra 125 game king boolits, this rifle scoped, will do in the 2 moa range all day long. The 30 has the advantage for hunting larger game ( deer ). Disadvantage is brass availability that is reloadable at a decent price.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    I've handled plenty of mini 14's and the new 580 series are better shooting guns.

If it were me and I was set up for loading and casting for both I'd get the mini 30.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the advice guys. BruceB's accuracy results are encouraging. I've got lots more 5.56 brass, and it would be more economical to feed.

I wish Ruger made the Mini 30 in blued with a wood stock, although I could easily change stocks. The 30 would make a better deer rifle, especially with boolits.

Decisions, decisions... I will go talk to my dealer this week and let you all know what I decide.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I wish Ruger made the Mini 30 in blued with a wood stock.
    They did...... for several years. The first ones out of the block were that way and they shot very well.

Boolit Master

I bought my SS Synthetic mini 30 about a dozen years ago. And a case of Ruschkey ammo at $ 77.00 per 1000. These are truly ranch rifles. The little Ruger rides with me every where I go on my farm. (to town too). The manual has instructions on Not using the commy ammo as it is sized .311. Goes threw mine like eggs threw a hen. I did put in a Wolff extra power hammer spring to overcome the hard primers. I'd have to admit with this ammo the carbine is only a little better than minute of skunk. But it rides along and kills what ever needs killin on the farm or in the Minnesota woods. Someday I'll try some good BOOLITS or the .308 150 Nossler BT. But for now the easiest is to let the steel cases fly. Use it with in it's limitations you'll like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast