RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 358 Win - Muzzle Blast with Short Barrels and Reduced Loads?

Boolit Master

358 Win - Muzzle Blast with Short Barrels and Reduced Loads?

I just got a 24" barrel in 358 Win for my Savage model 11. My plan is to shoot reduced loads to cull small deer at 150 yds or less. In full power loads I know a shorter barrel means a greater blast but I have no experience shooting this caliber or heavier, slower bullets. I'd like to cut this barrel back to 20" to make it handier and lighter. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is my Ruger # 1 custom , 358 Win, it has a 20 inch barrel. It is a fast handling rifle in the woods.

I've never noticed a severe problem with muzzle blast with my rifle.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, Ben. Thanks for the info. What loads do you shoot with it?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've shot everything from 8.5 grs. of American Select and a 158 gr. plain base .358 " cast bullet. ( One ragged hole with 5 rounds at 40 yards ) to wide open ( near factory dup.) loads.

If I were to do it all again, it would be 20 inch barrel again. My idea of building this rifle was to shoot cast bullets out of the rifle exclusively.

Many of the powders that I use are relatively quick burning propellants like 2400, RL - 7 , H-335 , etc. As a consequence, most of the powder is burned in a 20 " barrel. If I were shooting IMR-4350 and powders of similar burn rate, the flash and noise would be horrible.

Depends on the loads that you select. Your selection will have a great influence on muzzle blast.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Wow the wood on that #1 almost knocked my eyes out. That is one fine rifle.

Boolit Master

I have a custom 350 mag with a 18 1/2 " barrel with 4 port magna port yes its louder at the bench but you have ear protection on. but not any louder than a 300 mag, while taking a shot when hunting the muzzel blast never bothered me (no ear ringing) now my 454 Casull is another matter ! YOU MUST HUNT WITH EAR PROTECTION !
    dont ask me how i know but you will only do it once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I've shot everything from 8.5 grs. of American Select and a 158 gr. plain base .358 " cast bullet. ( One ragged hole with 5 rounds at 40 yards ) to wide open ( near factory dup.) loads.

If I were to do it all again, it would be 20 " again.
    My idea building the rifle was to shoot cast bullets out of the rifle.

Many of the powders that I use are relatively quick burning propellants like 2400, RL - 7 , H-335 , etc. As a consequence, most of the powder is burned in a 20 " barrel. If I were shooting IMR-4350 and powders of similar burn rate, the flash and noise would be horrible.

Depends on the loads that you select. Your selection will have a great influence on muzzle blast.

Ben
    That's exactly how I plan to use mine. I've a few lbs of 2400 and H335 and my sons and I also cast for our 357 revolvers.

I have never noticed a problem with my Savage 99 358.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

MY 350 mag has more muzzel blast with H335 than 4895 powder, but both are accurate in my rifle.

Faster burning powders tend to make less flash. My first hand loads for a 18" barrel .308 with Ball-C put out quite a light show with a big orange fireball leaping out of the barrel. I switched to IMR4064 and no longer notice it.

I have a 15" XP-100R in 350 Rem Mag blast is not too bad as others have said above it depends on the load. I also have the same cartridge in 20" and 22" rifles all are quieter than a 243 or 22-250 with full hunting loads.

The worst load was with my XP; a 180 bullet and approx. 60 gr of ball powder, this resulted in a huge flash ball that was visible in bright sunlight. With a 273 gr cast and 48 to 50 gr of IMR 4320 the 15" XP less than a 24" 308 / 30-06. I shoot NOE 360-180 HP's with Trailboss and these are real nice to shoot, also SR-7625 works quite well but prefer the Trailboss since it fills the case ands yields similar velocity.

The nice thing about the 35's: you can load them down to 357 levels and well past 35 Rem levels using 105 gr up to 300 gr boolits or bullets and everything in between.

This is my .358 Omark single shot. It has a 20" barrel. It will shoot 1" groups @100yards all day. I use the RCBS 200gr'er. The powder i use is ADI H2206 and the speed is around 1800fps. It is fairly quiet. It's just a dream to shoot. My friend borrowed it and wont give it back, he thinks it's the bee's knee's of them all.
    Lead foot;Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_0808alt2206H0003.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	89071

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I also have the same cartridge in 20" and 22" rifles all are quieter than a 243 or 22-250 with full hunting loads.

The nice thing about the 35's: you can load them down to 357 levels and well past 35 Rem levels using 105 gr up to 300 gr boolits or bullets and everything in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    This is my .358 Omark single shot. It has a 20" barrel. It will shoot 1" groups @100yards all day. I use the RCBS 200gr'er. The powder i use is ADI H2206 and the speed is around 1800fps. It is fairly quiet. It's just a dream to shoot. My friend borrowed it and wont give it back, he thinks it's the bee's knee's of them all.
    Great info, guys. Exactly what I was looking for.