Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22-6mm Remington Help

Boolit Master

22-6mm Remington Help

I have purchaced a remeington 700 BDL that is chamerd in 22-6mm remington.This will be a firsts for me in forming brass.I have not found much info on this cartrage.So any input would be just great.One of my thoughts is to use Redding dies with the inserts to get the case necked down,not sure if this is a good or bad idea.The barrel is a rechambered 22-250 with a 1 in 14 twist.I have not found the oal of the case.

Thanks
    Bob

You won't even feel any extra resistance on the press handle necking a 243 case down to 223.
    You'll just have to measure the chamber to get a max case length. Sinclair sell plugs you use in a cut down case to bump the step pushing the plug down the neck. Then you just measure over the gage.

I'd suggest you keep your loads down to modest levels, Like 22-250 velocities. Thus keeping pressure down so you don't burn out the barrel to soon. 22-6mm should shoot the same velocity at a lower pressure than a 22-250 when using a slow powder. You will also want to know how fat the chamber neck is and make sure you don't need to turn to fit your case necks. Especially if you shoot some .245" diameter cast boolits the extra .002" may use up all your clearance.

Boolit Master
    You are going to have to ream or turn the necks or they will be too tight to slip a bullet in after firing. The middlestead version was designed to not have to ream. There is no problem sizing the necks down. I have a cheetah and a middlestead. The 1 in 14 limits the weight you can shoot. I have a 1 in 9 on the cheetah and wish it was 1 in 8. the 22-6mm has more capacity than the cheetah or middlestead. unless it has been chambered with the neck large enough you will have to thin the necks. If the gun has been shot a lot, you may have to set the barrel back a thread or two. The necks probably should be annealed. A 22 neck sizer that is big enough to let the 6mm case in will neck a 6mm to 22 6mm. A 6mm full length die without the 6mm button will size the body, if you don't have dies. You need to neck a case down, load it and shoot it and see if a bullet will slip into the empty. If it doesn't enter freely, you need to ream or turn the necks. sometimes if a case is tight it's because it needs trimming but when you are reducing from a larger caliber the neck thickens. If you don't anneal you will have some cracked necks and some brands give less trouble than others.

Mitch,

If you know that the rifle is chambered for the 22-6 mm Remington meaning it is simply the 6mm Remington case necked to .22 you might be better off ordering a set of dies from RCBS. Might be cheaper in the end. (Figuring out the proper neck bushing can result in buying more than one.) Sizing a 6mm Remington to .22 won't be a problem. It will go best with new cases, just size them a bit at a time until they will just chamber with a very slight feel. This will safely set your head space. Trim to the recommended "trim to length" for 6 mm Remington. This will also square your case mouths. Load a round with a starting load, data is going to be thin, but data for the .223 WSSM might be about right. See if an unfired bullet will slide easily in the neck, if so,no neck turning or reaming need. If it's tight, I much prefer outside turning, it's adjustable and I think more accurate. Then load and enjoy. I wouldn't be concerned about keeping it to .22-250 velocities. True high velocity .22 centerfires are awesome field rifles, over 4,000fps makes hits from 0 to 400 yards on varmints and coyotes pretty easy. Buy some Sweets 7.62 solvent and some JB Bore Compound. Clean religiously and don't over heat the rifle. The bore will last 3,000+ rounds. Having tried a fast twist .22-243 I'm not sure it's better than a standard 243 or 6 mm for hunting. 50 and 52 grain bullets are my favorite in my Swift with maximum +a little more doses of 4064. Supremely accurate and deadly. I'm using my remaining Nosler solid base 52 grain match bullets very judiciously in the Swift. I need to find a bullet currently manufactured that will match it. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I saw a Nosler listed at Zanders a few minutes ago. 60 gr. I believe a new item.

Boolit Master
    Solid base.

Boolit Master
    Its listed @ Zanders as # N 38 135. .224 Bonded Solid base / Protected point. 64 Grain. New item that is also in 7 mm + some other caliber also. 6 mm I believe. 100 Count to the box. Kindaw pricey.

Boolit Master
    Thanks so much for the replies.
    I have to say I got all the my guns out about a year ago just before the **** hit the fan,after about 10 or so years Now I am enjoying shooting again.My favorites are any 22 cal big and small.I have a Rem 700 220 swift VSSF and several other CF 22s.But no wildcats.I am just looking for the info to go about this project.It looks like the RCBS dies might be what I need for 150 it is a good deal,the redding dies for the full length sizeing,neck sizeing and seating die are 260.

The barrel on this 700 is engraved 22-6mm .255 neck.the engraveing is done very nicely.Looks like the work of a real pro.

I did try to size the neck of down with my 22-250 neck die. this did not work well.But did tell me a thing or 2.i could not get it to size all the way down.So it would not chamber all the way,it came close.the neck sizes was at about .255 or a few thenths less.so maybe no reaming or turning.

My current loads In my 220 swift are 55 gr nosler BT and Varget at an honest 3850fps.the varget is great for the temps swings here in Ohio almost no differeance from 50s to 90s.So I am hopeing to work up a load with varget for the 22=6mm.

Thanks again for the replies.i will try and keep up with this thread to let you guys know how I am doing with the 22-6mm.But I am in Northern Ohio May take a while working around the weather.Please keep the ideas comeing.

Bob

Boolit Bub
    if the neck of your chamber is .255 neck dia of a loaded round should be .251-.252 to have .0015-.002 clearance around. .251-.224=.027 /2=.0135 neck wall thickness for .002 clearance for the neck to expand and release the bullet. Less than .0135 neck wall thickness is ok but much thicker and pressure will skyrocket or the round will not chamber at all.

CH4D may have your dies a bit cheaper

Boolit Master

I'm waiting for the 22-6mm Remington reamer to come in the mail this week. I'm going to be recutting a 22-250 1-14" barrel that I've shot about 800 low pressure loads (223Rem powder levels 24gr IMR 4895 over 50gr jacketed spirepoints) through to protect its throat. Why you ask? I got a set of RCBS dies off e-bay for a literal song and the new chambering will allow me to re-use more common brass while keeping the pressure on the throat low for longer (hopefully) barrel life

And yes, I'm a sucker for wildcat chamberings still.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I styill have the rifle.I Have not done much with it.I did make a few rounds of brass for it.I decided i dont like turning brass.I did fire it about 15 rounds.with nosler 55gr BT bullets.It shoot very well.i never did check the speed of the load i shot but they should have been in the 3500fps range.I have remington 700 VSSF in 220 swift.I figure the 22/6mm will not do anything the Swift wont.So i went no further with it.I have nopt got around to buiding something else with it yet but oneday i just might.If this barrel was a 1.in 8 twist or somehting that would shoot heavy bullets i would have more intrest.Now since this posting I have found that it has a Shilen trier in it,So my thinking is that is who did the rechamber job.

Boolit Master

The original designer stated that the original wildcat built off a 7mm case (.22/4000 Sedgley) would do anything the 220 Swift could do but as he was getting up in age (in the late 1940s) he wasn't going to push it heavily for acceptance by others as the 220 Swift cartridge could fit and fire in the 22-6mmRem chamber with disastrous results.

I'm building it as a 200-300yard bolt action rifle for NRA highpower reduced course matches without having to rethroat it every 700 shots with the higher-pressure 22-250 cartridge. If it works out with the 1-14" twist barrel with the shorter distances, I may splurge with a tighter twist (1-8) barrel to see how it operates with 69-75gr jacketed bullets.

For now, I plan to use 40-55gr jacketed and cast bullets with it and I don't have a 220 Swift so no worries about crossing the calibers up.

Boolit Master
    I now have a new intrest in the 22-6mm.I have bought a bag of new winchester 6mm brass to resize.and have a better selection of case lube.i am haveing much better luck with the winchester brass.before i was trying to use some federal brass i bought a new hox of loaded ammo and pulled the bullets.Now just resizing the brass is a snap i end up with .2515 after seating a bullet.So it should be good with the .255 neck chamber.This will give me just a bit to neck turn if needed.

It has been so long from my last try i do not remeber and can not find my notes on what i use for a powder charge.I am sure it was varget 40gr comes to mind.I have been reading up on the 22-6mm again some do day that the 223WSSM data is good for the 22-6mm.The loads i have found very a lot in some cases. one other poder i may try is H 4350.I have read that honady 7th and 9th addition loading manuals have 22-6mm data in them.I needed a few other thing went by the local LGS and they are close for now.The plan is to use 55gr Nosler BT at around 3800 fps.I have no need to use barrel burner loads i have seen north of 4000fps.

At the same auction i bought real nice remington 700 classic in 221 fire ball been working up loads for it as i have time.A real nice little round so far.

Boolit Master

Sounds great Mitch!

Boolit Master
    If you don't have a faster twist, you are defeating the purpose of the larger case. 4831 with a 70 grain bullet should get 3700. I'm using suurplus powder in a cheetah and getting over 3600 with the 69 Sierra and not pushing it. I think it has a 1 in 9 twist and I had a stabilization problem with either a 75 grain, or maybe heavier. been a few years and would have to check. I have found the .220 swift will do a pretty good job with the 55 grain

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Once you get it figured out you’ll need a new barrel anyways. Burn baby burn!

I always wanted to get my hands on a 17 to 223 or a 22/243 but decided I need about three barrels laying around with it. I like to shoot flat and fast for coyotes. I just decided to stick with A plain old 243 and load 55 grain ballistic tips as fast as I can push them. I have a .3” load going a little over 4150 ft./s out of a 22” bear creek upper barrel. I’m afraid enough about barrel life at 4100 ft./s versus 4400 out of yours. I do make sure to pace time between my shots not to heat up my barrel when shooting test loads and clean my barrel after every range session or so many shots during my session. I just figured if I can’t get it done at 4150 FPS I’m not going to get it done at faster speeds and even shorter barrel life... But it would be fun trying.

A few handfuls of 4450 ft./s out of your barrel and I’d be ready for a new one.lol

I do a lot of reading on predatormasters.com and I believe there’s quite a bit of shooters that have this caliber over there.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-01-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    the Rifle i have was bought at an auction.If i were to build a rifle it would be 1 in 8 twist either a 220 swift or the 22-6mm.I have a bud with no rifle so this one was cheep enough.It should do just fine at 3800fps or so with 55 gr noslers like i shoot in my swift.

Sure i liike a sppedy bullets and a lazer gun like anyone else but speeds of 4000+fps just is not what i want to do with this rifle.an haveing to have 3 barrels on had is not a good thing either.ill go easy on the barrel i have no clue how many rouds it has had thru it.
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-01-2020 at 07:32 PM.

I've always thought that a matched pair of 98 Mauser sporters- one in 5.56x57 and the other in 8x57 would be a neat set up. A 14" twist would be fine with me. I've heard of the 22 Cheetah, the 22-6mm CJ, and the fast twist .224 TTH. If I lived out west, I'd consider one over my 22-250, just maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've always thought that a matched pair of 98 Mauser sporters- one in 5.56x57 and the other in 8x57 would be a neat set up. A 14" twist would be fine with me. I've heard of the 22 Cheetah, the 22-6mm CJ, and the fast twist .224 TTH. If I lived out west, I'd consider one over my 22-250, just maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yes does sound like a good setup.Loved anything 22 big an small for many years.Most of this is frome liveing in Ohio where for many years no rifles were alowed for hunting deer and now only strait wall rifle cartrages.With the 14 twist i dont expect any more than what my 220 swift will do.Here where i am is is very flat 4 foot rise in the road is a hill.And it is all farm county.Not saying every shot is long range but you can shoot as far as you can see grounds hogs here.So being as flat as it is here i like the 224 bullets that will come apart when they hit anything.

I am still looking at powder choices and loads for this thing.i do not do alot of rifle loading other than the 22 cf stuff so my powder selection for rifle is not very good.I shoot Varget in the 220 swift and 22-250.was hopeing to use it in the 22-6mm.Now that i fianly decided to mess with some proles abit more.The panic buying has set in from the carona virus has set in and all the places i buy powder and bullets are closed or in a virus hot spot.So we will see how far i get with what i have and can get online.And then there is the Ohio spring weather lol.

I saw your Handel n thought maybe i would hear more about the TTH lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast