Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Boolit Buddy
    Mossberg 590 w/3in slugs w/o recoil pad. With pad, very manageable, I still use 2 3/4. Also a win 94 in .375, belonged to a friend who loaned it to me for deer season, he called it "ole thumper" and I found out why.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

I thought it was 3" mag slug in a light rifle but, no no no

The 416 remmag takes the cake... never want to even touch that rifle again... Major ouch factor.
    High Hook

.300 Weatherby Mark V with the factory light contour barrel. Just not enough weight in the gun to keep "recoil velocity" at tolerable level.

Of course it probably did not help that I was shooting a right hand rifle left handed. THat "Monte Carlo" cheekpiece was definitely not friendly from the "wrong" side.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Banned

the worse gun i ever shot was kelly brosts (previous owner of cast performance bullets) 458 lott contendor. that was a handgun to open your eyes. Second worse was my buddy als 44 mag bond derringer with 300 grain cast bullets pushed by 22 grains of 110. About like lighting a stick of dynamite in your hand.

Boolit Master
    I've shot a few that weren't much fun. A 416Rem with 400gr bullets at around 2500fps and a scope with not quite enough eye relief will get your attention and make you bleed. The 10ga single shot is bad, the 10ga double with 2oz loads and both tubes at once is not something most folks will do twice. A buddy had a 357 Derringer that was just plain nasty. I don't even want to try a 44mag derringer with bear loads. My 416Rem will be shooting 365gr cast at about 2250 and I'm thinking that should be enough fun for me. I also have a 454 Casull in the Rossi 92 which puts a 317gr cast out at 1950 from a gun right at 5lbs. This is pushing my fun meter to the limit. I have heard stories of the big Weatherbys and have no interest in shooting one of those or the big African doubles.

Boolit Master

That's an easy one for me! A gunsmith friend's 50BMG with a clamshell muzzle brake! It bruised my shoulder, hurt my Ears with both muffs and ear plugs AND cleaned off everything on two benches on either side of us! I've shot several 50's over the years , but this one is PURE EVIL as far as I'm concerned!

Boolit Buddy
    Folding stock Galil in FA. Trigger slap so bad, I had my fill after only 60 rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I got a good laugh out of this. The shots were ringing out this morning. And I know how packed the ranges will be tomorrow and Saturday. I will never understand people that shoot three shots to sight in and expect to take a deer. Those three sight in shots are the only shots they fire all year.
    If the rifle's sighted in and the first shot goes where I want it I move on to the next rifle.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Bond derringer with full load .45 Colt round (notice singular word).

Do enjoy it with very lightly loaded .38 Sp
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    Bond derringer with full load .45 Colt round (notice singular word).

Do enjoy it with very lightly loaded .38 Sp
    I remember my dad working with on of these, and he desided it was worthy of a full bore 454. He touched that off, and had a bruise under his thumb nail for six months. He actually did proceed to shoot it a few more times to get the heaviest load he could fire in the gun that the gun would handle. He figured it was worth it for having a bear gun he could keep in his pocket.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jr, did he preceded it with "watch this"?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Jr, did he preceded it with "watch this"?
    Everything worth watching is preceded with "hey everyone, watch this"
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    It Is often followed blood, profanity, and laughter. Nothing good comes from it in many cases.

Id like to add any number of the mini-14's and Ar's that Ive shot in various training camps over the years. Correctional depts.(even the federal bureau of prisons) arnt known to take care of training rifles..The mini 14's would group just about minute of boxcar at 50 yards..The AR's were really converted M16 milsurp rifles bounced around the govt. They often would rack off 3-4-6-10 round bursts when you had it on semi auto..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
    Id like to add any number of the mini-14's and Ar's that Ive shot in various training camps over the years. Correctional depts.(even the federal bureau of prisons) arnt known to take care of training rifles..The mini 14's would group just about minute of boxcar at 50 yards..The AR's were really converted M16 milsurp rifles bounced around the govt. They often would rack off 3-4-6-10 round bursts when you had it on semi auto..
    Gotta agree with you there. I only ever saw one Mini14 that was any sort of accurate. 4" @ 50 yards seems to be standard.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    That explains the poor shooting on The A-team!

Boolit Mold
    My Stoeger 12 ga. coach gun. Not so much the recoil, but the triggers are awful. The maker must have had a little too much rice wine the night before. I need to get them addressed but they are not on my priorities list

On Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Gotta agree with you there. I only ever saw one Mini14 that was any sort of accurate. 4" @ 50 yards seems to be standard.
    Not any longer, it's not.

In 2010, NVCurmudgeon and I each bought a new Mini-14. His is a stainless Ranch Rifle, and mine is a Davidson's "Deluxe" version, the main difference being a Circassian walnut stock. These rifles have the later tapered barrel profile.

Both rifles now have Leupold scopes; NVC's is a 3-9X VX III, and mine a 1-4X Mark AR. I added an L1A1 flash suppressor to mine 'cuz I dislike the look of the Ruger FS.

My point: BOTH of these Mini-14s will group all day inside 1.5" at 100 yards, and I once saw NVC fire FIVE consecutive five-shot groups that were either INSIDE one inch for five rounds or just barely above that figure. Nice to see!

My own rifle has occasionally given me five-shot groups of one inch or less from 100, but realistically it's a reliable 1.5" grouper. That's a FAR cry from 4" at fifty yards! This Mini consistently out-shoots my near-new Armalite AR15.

All the above shooting (both Minis) was done with handloaded Hornady 55 V-Max bullets, with both of us arriving at that choice independent of the other.

(I have another Mark AR scope on the Armalite; it's the 3-9X version with a trajectory compensator. It's calibrated for "55 grains @ 3100 fps".... my 55 V-Max load chronos at 3097 average.... I reckon that's close enough? Anyhow, the system works well and I can reliably hit smallish targets out to 500 yards IF I know the actual range. Recommended! )
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    All depends on the series..... the original Mini-14s were the 180 series with the shallow forend stock...... they shot very, very well. Feed them good ammo and they did MOA regularly. The 181 and following series, till about the time of the target jobs, were nothing to write home about (about 2.5 MOA if you were lucky and above).

And on this least fun gun business..... I have a friend that had a fancy special order Browning rifle that was engraved and a fancy wood stock...... all 8 pounds of it dripping wet so to speak. He handed me three factory 500 gr. solids.... I loaded them and pulled the first one off standing.... I then said it can't kick that much and loaded the second cartridge.... upon pulling that one off, I decided it could kick that much and removed the third shell and handed it and the rifle back to him. Not fun at all.............
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 11-29-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    M2, shooting was great, but having to hump the parts from one location to another was a pain. As was digging an extra large fox hole.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast