Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Boolit Master

A 460 Weatherby.
    I got a life time supply with one shot.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    10 inch Contender in 45/70! BRUTAL! BRUTAL! BRUTAL!
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Tdart View Post
    Tiger no. 1 in 300 win mag. Recoil doesn't usually bother me (my bench work load for deer and pig is a 350 grn bullet at 2225 fps), but the recoil on that 300 bothered me. It didn't help that it wouldn't shoot well either. I have discovered that I don't like magnum velocities. Big chunk of lead at slow to moderate speeds is more comfortable toe me.
    Ha ha. Exact same for me. I have a #1 in 300 win mag with a sporter weight barrel that I shot roughly 75 rounds during load development. I'm not sure I can even trust the results I was flinching so bad near the end.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master

Wildey .44 Auto Mag. The rear of the grip is shaped like a 2x4 with perfectly sharp 90 degree corners. Extremely painful!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

When I was much younger a acquaintance was in a pit shooting as I was driving by so I stopped to chat. We'll he was helping a young lady learn to shoot... After a bit out comes what he called his dads single shot 10 gauge goose gun with a 28" barrel. First he shoots it with bird shot then he hands it to the young lady and she touches off the same thing. Next he asks if I wanted to give it a try & I said sure. We'll un-be-known to me he loads it with a 3.5" slug. I let that thing go and it knocked me on my a__ in a short hurry. I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I had to check to see if my shoulder was still connected.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not usually recoil sensitive but my T/C in 35 Rem is a bit "difficult" after 3-4 rounds. Hard-kicking rifles don't bother me much but I don't make a habit of them, no need risking a detached retina. I've never fired a 14" 45-70 Contender so I still want one. No risk of buying one with a shot-out barrel!
    To answer the question I had an H&K 94 with the factory scope mount. Once the novelty of hearing the bullet hit the target @ 50 yds wore off I tired of chasing brass and sold it for what I paid for it. The year was 1987, price was $500. The butt-kicking I gave myself over that hurt worse than any rifle, shotgun or pistol I've ever shot.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

My BFR in 444M hurts but I won't part with it. The most I have shot with full loads in one session was 3 rounds. I have down loaded it and with 200gn boolits it is now a regular plinker. On my wish list is a 45-70.

An old Hopkins Allen 12ga. Double. IT has a bad sear on the front trigger. NEVER pull the rear trigger first! A recoil induced 2nd shot is not fun. I was 14 when I shot it my first time. It belonged to my Grandfather. Plan on handing it down to my Grandson.

Boolit Master
    12" T/C 45-70 I think it's worse than the 500 mag. Prob has something to do with the grip angle.

Shot it once with the stock wood grips - BIG mistake !!!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Recoil , not fun.

375 H & H is not fun off the bench with 300gr J full power loads. Declined an offer to shoot 458 Win. Mag & 505 Gibbs.

Boolit Master
    1## 760 Rem camber 30-06 Over load 25-30% , had to call Remington to make sure gun was
    still safe. As camber pressure was around 59,000 if I recall right. Action opened on shooting
    and removed the empty case. Gun went frying out of my hands.

2## 12 Ga 525 gr lead slugs

3## 375 Imp. H&H

4## Any 300 Win. Mag that is shooting a 5 group at 100 yds. after shooting a few in years ago
    I like to use them for bats using a tree for a ball, LOL.

5## 12ga 1-1/2 mags for trap shooting, took wrong boxes when left. Did shoot good at the sporting clays.

6## sighting in 13 rifles one Thanksgiving weekend for PA deer season, everyone waited too long and 3 got
    new guns. I learned to say no. And to sight in on my chest and not my hunting shoulder.

Boolit Master
    Have not yet been cowed by recoil though there were a few that I didn't enjoy a lot. Quickest path to selling a gun is finding that it doesn't shoot and can't be made to shoot with reliable precision that is acceptable for its purpose. Gone with the wind....
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Model 600 Remington 308 bad recoil it would hurt you to shoot
    As did mine before I installed a big recoil pad. The worst handgun was a Colt Police Positive that didn't fit my hand with a 45 ACP 1917 with a shortened barrel and skinny grip being a close second. The worst shotgun was a 20 Gauge Ithaca that was super light, Lightweight or some such nonsense. Odd thing to me is that in all of the cases I never would have thunk it!!!

I still have the Colt but have installed Pachmeyers (sp) on it that make a world of difference.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Believe it or not, my particular least fun gun was an AR-15. One of the Bushmasters produced during the AWB that had a 14.5" barrel with the permanently affixed AK-74 muzzle break. Required double ear protection. The whole upper was traded off, and a 20" with a standard flash hider replaced it. Much more fun.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Ive shot/owned rifles up to .375H&H, shotguns up to 10ga and none of them was like shooting my little H&R topper BUCK model 162 with a 3" 12ga slug..The gun is only about 3' long it seems and weighs 5 pounds 3 ounces..Its like trying to hold a buffalo by the tail and outkicks any 3 1/2 gun by far! Im a large man and not at all scared of recoil but this little thing is something else..

Boolit Master

My Brother in law has a 10 ga. single shot break open that ain't no fun at all to shoot. Years ago I had a Ruger lever action .44 mag. that was the most inaccurate gun I've ever shot. No matter what I shot through it (I didn't cast at that time) be it factory ammo or handload, no matter what bullet weight it just wouldn't shoot.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

THe 460 Weatherby magnum standing 3 shots never ever again.

Boolit Master
    While not recoil related, the worst guns I've ever owned were all 1911's.
    !!!gasp!!!

They feel like barge anchor, I've never been able to shoot anything better than a pie plate at 15 yards. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. I had an Essex frame/GI slide that was a super jammomatic. A colt series 70 that could shoot around corners. A Colt series 80 that would drop the hammer when a magazine was inserted. Found that out INSIDE the house, thank god no one was hurt. And three others that were equally worthless.
    I've shot some really nice ones belonging to others including a few Wilson's and a Les Baer. I don't see the love for the antiquated boat anchors.
    I know some people have all kinds of good use out of them. I now there's some really good ones out there but my experience has been anything but.
    I'm confused why it, and not the Hi Power (JMB's true crowning achievement) took off.

Boolit Bub
    I wasn't too surprised to see that a lot of the dislikes were due to extreme recoil. I could understand needing a powerhouse of a gun for taking certain types of game, but I just don't get the fun in it outside of that. I have a turkey gun I've owned forever. I shoot it all the time. The recoil still puts a surprised look on my face each time! Guess that's why I mostly shoot 22lr nowadays.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    While not recoil related, the worst guns I've ever owned were all 1911's.
    !!!gasp!!!

They feel like barge anchor, I've never been able to shoot anything better than a pie plate at 15 yards. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. I had an Essex frame/GI slide that was a super jammomatic. A colt series 70 that could shoot around corners. A Colt series 80 that would drop the hammer when a magazine was inserted. Found that out INSIDE the house, thank god no one was hurt. And three others that were equally worthless.
    I've shot some really nice ones belonging to others including a few Wilson's and a Les Baer. I don't see the love for the antiquated boat anchors.
    I know some people have all kinds of good use out of them. I now there's some really good ones out there but my experience has been anything but.
    I'm confused why it, and not the Hi Power (JMB's true crowning achievement) took off.
    If you ever try a good one you might have a better experience.
    Try a nice cheap Rock Island Armory, or a Ruger SR1911, and call me in the morning. I won't own a Kimber, or a colt. I carry a RIA compact.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast