WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    I used to work at a gunshop/outdoor range many many years ago.When they mounted a scope we would put 3 rounds through each one at 100 yards. I fired 15 rounds through 5, 460 Weatherbys off the bench. I had a bruise that went from my sternum to my elbow.
    My first .460 was before they ported them & I just went to my bench & started to shoot. 6 rounds later I was seeing black with shiny stars flickering. The moral is....don't shoot a ball buster with it low on the table & you leaning into it. Have it hi enough to sit up straight & don't lean in, just have it snug to shoulder.

But, the all time worst was my first .470 double. It was a Douglas & it just did not fit right for me & about broke my shoulder, it really hurt.

For sheer snap from an overbore, the .378 Wby w/o break, no doubt. Even with the break it'll get your attention.

ps it took 2 wks before the stars went away

In the 50's my Wife wanted a "deer rifle" to take along and go with me on a hunting trip...I built her an 03A3 in 30-06 Ackley improved..cut down Bishop stock...Thin and light Douglas barrel...had fish gills cut into the barrel for a brake to cut recoil...it went off like a howitzer...deafening roar and muzzle blast, and kicked anyway...she shot it once...handed it back and never went deer and elk hunting....no it was not planned to have that effect.

Ruger LCR with .357 ammo. Recoil and blast was so bad I only shot three rounds before I had had enough.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    TC Contender in .45-70 with a 14" barrel. Even with the muzzle brake, 2 shots were as much as I wanted to attempt. Brutal.

Shiloh
    Shiloh, you are not kidding. It is bad when you push the heavy bullets.

Boolit Master

Little Ruger bolt in 17hmr. Not very accurate, slow to reload, and the can wouldnt even move to let you know you hit it. A 10/22 = way more fun. The 17 hmr is not for plinking.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    One of the current lightweight alloy Smiths, 5 shot, 357 Mag. I've shot some hard kicking handguns, that was the only one (so far) to actually draw blood.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master

Easy!

The M-73/M-219 7.62 machine gun. This mechanical abortion was the coaxial (mounted on the left side of the main gun) machine gun of the M-60 series tanks. It was recoil-operated with gas assist. It was unreliable to the Nth degree. It managed to fail to feed, extract, chamber, cycle, you-name-it, almost every time it fired.

The only time I ever got one to fire more than fifty rounds without a stoppage was on a range at Fort Knox. We dipped the entire several hundred round belt of 7.62x51mm in a can of hydraulic fluid. The gun fired almost all that belt of ammo and then broke an extractor.

Incidentally, this *** replaced the M-37, the electrically-fired (had a solenoid to press the trigger) version of the M-1919 Browning MG in .30-06.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

Ruger LCR shooting +p loads. It was a friends gun that I shot. The grip is so small and the gun so light I could not get more than one round on target at a time, had to re-grip for a second shot. You'd hardly know it was in your pocket but God forbid you had to use it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I've fired some big bore handgun stuff that simple common sense would say isn't going to be much fun (but of course it was ) but a 330 gr full house 444 in a 10" RPM XL . . . Even my hair hurt. I refused to have more than 2 shots worth of . . . . FUN!

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Remington 870 SPS w/ a 3.5" #4 turkey load. Not having a good cheek weld hurt like hell that day. I no longer use 3.5" shells. 3" is more than enough and I don't like shooting them as well.

I don't have much fun shooting my Mosin. Even w/ a rubber recoil pad I can only shoot one box before my shoulder has had enough.

Most every gun is fun in some way to me, but a couple memorable exceptions...

Mauser in 458 Win Mag - shot from bench rest. Hardest I have EVER been kicked in my life! I have a high cheek bone, and snugged it up over the stock. DANG that HURT! I actually reached in and grabbed my upper molars to see if they got knocked loose! That one was aweful from the bench.

Win 94 Trapper when I was about 12-13. I hated 30-30 levers upon sight for a long long time!

Most memorable in the WOW dept was a Smith 500 Magnum - first gun I nearly dropped when I shot it. Geez! And I have very good hand strength. That one would be no fun to own, imo.

Nowadays, with two rebuilt shoulders, heavy recoil is not the hoot it used to be. 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag (mine - sold it) 458, hvy shotgun loads, etc are none at all fun. I have scaled down to 30-30s, 35 Rem, 300 Savage, 44 SPC and 45 Colt (from 44 Mag) and 38 SPC - all for fun. And 3/4-7/8 oz skeet loads. Nothing that leaves my shoulders sore and aching for cpls days is fun now.

Edit - THE SCARIEST ever - M14A1 that threw the brass one way and the primers the other direction!!! When I realized this was happening, after the third round, guy said "Oh yeah, that's kinda normal, that is MG ammo..." I promptly got up and left. I didn't even want to be on the range with that idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    The only time I ever got one to fire more than fifty rounds without a stoppage was on a range at Fort Knox. We dipped the entire several hundred round belt of 7.62x51mm in a can of hydraulic fluid. The gun fired almost all that belt of ammo and then broke an extractor.
    dale in Louisiana
    Man, I LOVE good old GI ingenuity!!! I am kinda scratching my head as to how the pressures didn't skyrocket with the hydraulic fluid and blow the whole dang thing up! Assuming a pressure spike is what caused the extractor to go!

Saw an ad years back in Shotgun News. " For Sale: Ruger #3 in 45/70. This gun is very satisfying to shoot. One shot satisfied me." I laughed for a long time. I had a lightweight Mauser Mark X bolt action rifle in 458 Winchester Magnum I bought when I was young and stupid. That thing hurt.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    TC Contender in .45-70 with a 14" barrel. Even with the muzzle brake, 2 shots were as much as I wanted to attempt. Brutal.

Shiloh
    Same for me. I shot less than one box of ammo through it before I traded it off. VERY unpleasant!
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 11-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I'm going back to the early 60's - before most recoil pads and ear plugs and ear muffs.
    First - a neighbor's Model 70 featherweight with an aluminum butt plate in 270 what kicked the Y_K_W_ out of me -- as a result will not buy a 270 but shoot 30-06's without hesitation. That rifle started me reloading so we could download it and enjoy shooting it.
    Second - A thirty caliber Luger (shell breaks the sound barrier) at an indoor range with out ear protection - three rounds quickly fired probably contributed mightily to my right ear being totally defunct.
    Lately - I bought my first Contender in 223 with about an 8" barrel -noise and recoil caused me to unload it to a friend who gave me what I'd paid for it. I've since shot one in 7mm TCU and enjoyed it. Regret selling the first one and not just changing barrels.

Boolit Master

You'll find this weird - it's my mod 1903 colt in .32ACP. What a little beauty. Always looked forward to shooting it. I did so a couple of weeks ago. The trigger was HORRIBLE. Couldn't hit the barn side of a broad with the thing. Slide didn't lock back, maybe it's not supposed to.
    Anyway, no fun at all. Really disappointed. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

For me it WAS a Marlin 9mm camp carbine.that darned thing threw brass into the next county. I put that in the safe for many years. Finally, I read on Cast Boolits about a guy who changed the recoil spring and put in a new recoil buffer. The original buffer apparently was nylon and prone to disintegration over time. I bought the new silicon buffer and several Wolff recoil springs of progressively heavier strength. When removing the old nylon buffer it crumbled so I'm very glad I didn't keep shooting it. The heavier springs cause the brass to go 8 to 10 feet rather than 30 yards. I'd forgotten how quiet the 9mm shoots from a 16" barrel. Now I really enjoy that little fun plinker.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    We have a fun gun thread- what gun that you have shot was the least fun, and why?

For a long time for me it was a Maelin 1804c. It wouldn't do better than 6 inches at 50 yards with anything. I shot it slow, fast, and in between. I tried 6 or more different bullets. The famed 358156 didn't do any better than the rest. Mag or special cases it was miserable.

Nothing worse than a gun that won't hit what it is pointed at. I have other Marlins, they all shot well, why wouldn't this one?

Spent over 8 months fighting it. Wondered why I ever bought it. Luckily I finally found the bullet it wanted and this all changed but that gun came real close to moving out of my house.
    You have an 1804c Maelin?? Wow - is it a muzzle loading Asperly? Or somewhat akin to Buckshot's famous Asperly?

Mine is my Winchester 95 in 405 Win. With that steel buttplate it will bruise you well, especially from a bench! Didn't notice it at all when I shot the boar, though!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I'll throw my hat in with the folks saying high recoiling stuff.

I've got a Ruger #1 in 45/70 and made the mistake of loading about 50 rds of top end "Ruger only" loads. I never made the mistake of trying the loads from the bench, but after shooting a dozen or so standing, I was perfectly happy to let other folks empty the rest of my brass for me. It took months to get the rest of the ammo unloaded, almost all of it 1 round per shooter.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

.45 win mag with full loads in a LAR Grizzly. Felt like I got caned in the palm of my hand

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast