WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Vendor Sponsor

.36 caliber under hammer ML. That thing had I bet a 1.5lb trigger on it, it would go off if you just THOUGHT about touching the trigger.. I used to lean it up against a tree to load it, just wasn't gonna take a chance of any part of it pointed in my direction, and sure enough, it went off against the tree, bout deafened me, but it didn't shoot me. It was a loaner, I was never happier to deliver it back to the owner!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Worst I ever owned was a first gen Glock 20 with full house hand loads. Until I had a beaver tail added, it gave me the worst slide bites every time it fired, but it was the only 10mm I ever saw at the time so I was going to be damned if I gave it up. (Keep in mind. This was early 90's,so I can't remember what loads it was.) it was also the last gun I owned until 3 years ago
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Bub
    At the tender age of 12 or so, Grandpa's 10 ga Hunter Arms S/S double exposed hammer shotgun. I think the first round bounced it off my shoulder (or I gave) so it had a running start when the second barrel went-unsolicited. At that time, my vocabulary had not matured sufficiently to express my sentiments. One sore shoulder!

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine bought an old Weatherby Mark5 in 378 Weatherby magnum for a song. He went to the range with me and on the first shot split his brow with the scope. It was a right handed rifle and I am a lefty. That monte carlo cheekpiece with the sharp roll over comb was murder on my cheekbone firing it left handed. I put 5 shots downrange with factory 300gr. loads. That rifle was abusive...but a lot of it was the stock shape and fit.

Boolit Master
    M14. Having nothing good to say about them I shall say no more.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Like many, I remember bad shooting experiences by heavy recoil. The absolute most unpleasant weapon I've fired is a 4" S&W .500. I shot it twice and still felt it in my right hand the next day.

Next in line is one I shoot regularly but not many rounds at a time. It's a 14" .44 Mag Contender. The additional barrel length plus a stiffer than factory Ruger/Contender only load sends a 255 grain boolit at 1600 fps.

Third was a shorter barreled Contender in .30-30. Almost 40 years later I still recall how harsh and sharp the recoil was.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Sometimes I hesitate to get into some threads, I guess 18 pages is hesitation enough EH.
    I was shooting at my range one day when A guy I had met a few times before showed up.
    He did some shooting and then took a nice gun case out of his truck, he proceeded to take out a Thompson
    single shot break open rifle ( contender something i think ) nice rifle with all plastic furniture.
    He set up a target at 25 yards and shot off his elbows at the bench, I noticed it was loud cause it hurt my ears in spite of the 32 decibel reduction ear plugs stuck in each side of my head.
    I have been know to be a little nosey at times so I walk over and complimented him on his shooting,
    I fibbed a bit and asked him what he was shooting. His response was a 405 or something jefferies ( spelling )
    He handed me the rifle and one shell and said HEY ! go ahead and unravel one of these.
    The shell case looked like it was about 2 feet long but i thought , Hey, must be the sun in my eyes.
    I put the gun on my sand bag and took Aim, squeezed the trigger and separated the bullet from the case with the most god awful recoil I have ever felt, fellas, my upper denture rattled in my head and I looked around for the T-Rex that just kicked me in the shoulder, I dusted off the recoil and told him:
    Hey nice rifle as I handed it back to him.
    He said hey want to go again ? well my man card must have been showing cause I said, sure why not.
    As I walked back to my shooting bench there was a little voice in my head saying:
    You stupid )*(&%E%@$# ing idiot. Anyway I shot the second round, gave my shoulder a good rest and thought
    NO more of that, I have shot many a rifle but that one was the worst.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    he proceeded to take out a Thompson single shot break open rifle ( contender something i think ) nice rifle with all plastic furniture.
    Probably not a Contender unless an aftermarket barrel. The Contenders are somewhat limited on larger calibers due to frame stretching. Could have been a TCR 83 (Thompson Center Rifle introduced in 1983, discontinued in 1987) but there is no plastic on that rifle unless add ons of some kind, I have one of those in 308. I can't imagine why he would shoot something like that at 25 yards though, seems odd & a waste of ammo but there are a lot of odd people huh? Maybe he thought it wouldn't kick so bad if he only shot it at only 25 yards.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Least fun gun: Ruger SR22. No recoil whatsoever, I didn't know if the gun was even going off. Just a rental though.

I also don't like shooting snubbies. It's not a recoil thing, I just... don't... like them. I don't shoot them well and I have no interest in them. I have a total of sixteen(?) single- and double-action revolvers but the shortest barrel is 4". I borrowed a .44 Magnum once with hot loads (i think the gun was a 7.5" SRH) and loved it, nice groups, but I won't shoot a .38 special SP101 or LCR.

Boolit Buddy

A hot day and a 405 WCF caliber Win M95 with a "rifle" stock. Very tough on the shoulder.

Galena Guru

350 posts , and I didn't read them all ..

Most waste of money was a M700 7 RM , wouldn't hit the side of the barn if you put the muzzle against the side of the barn .. Traded it for a 1978 No1 375 , which was brutal , but a limbsaver pad tamed that beast and started my love affair with the No1's , then a house fire in May of '07 took care of all the No1's , along with everything else ..

The Weatherby stock design as well as the No1 stock makes them awful shooters ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

My early Binelli weighs just over 6 pounds. A 2 ounce turkey load overloaded the recoil action. That was an unexpected dose of recoil because it is well behaved with duck loads.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Grand Master

My mom gave me her father's S&W top break, double action, revolver. chambered in 38 S&W with a full box of ammo. I thought it would be fun to shoot. It wasn't....the grips are too small, the fixed sights are way too small. the rear notch is a dimple and the thin german silver blade is impossible to see clearly. It was hard to load, hard to un-load and neither I nor my daughter ( who is an excellent shot) could shoot a decent pattern. That was the most miserable gun I have ever fired. My daughter said " I don't understand how anybody hit anything with these guns" I gained a huge appreciation for my newer K frame and J framed S&W's....they have decent grips, sights you can use and reloads are not a struggle. Top breaks don't rule!
    Gary

Boolit Bub
    A double 12 ga. that I thought I had fixed, both barrels went off at the same time. I only good thing of this was that I was aiming at a pesky chipmunk. His DNA was scattered, perhaps that is why they call them scatter guns.

Boolit Master
    In 1980 my wife got me a Weatherby 300 mag for Christmas. It was a Mark V second. It had a very small blemish right behind the receiver about the size of 1/8 drill and was filled and finished very nicely. She bought it from Weatherby when they used to be on Firestone Ave. in Los Angeles. I was thrilled!! I loaded it up nice and hot and it did have a kick but was a blast for reaching way out there. One day shooting in the Angeles forest, I was sitting on the ground with my shoulders against the van door. I got the sight picture and touched one off. The stock broke right where the blemish was and punches the eye piece into my eyebrow. It knocked me silly for a second but worse, it looked just like a bullet hole and blood was running down my cheek and nose. My shooting partner thought I had been shot in the face!! I took the weapon back to Roy Weatherby and with the bandage over my eye, and held the rifle up and wiggled it. The grabbed the rifle with many apologies and kept it for 3 weeks. It was my fault but they probably thought law suit. They gave me a special edition Mark V. It was worth the pain! My wife paid $225.00 for the second and I sold the special edition 5 years later for $2,000.00.

Without a doubt, Smith and Wesson Model 342Ti. Bought it used, put one factory round through it, sold it the next week. 10oz. is a tad light. It really hurt to shoot it. I can shoot cylinder after cylinder out of my Model 37 Airweight at 17 oz. but man, 10 oz., just too little gun out there.
    Stu

Boolit Master
    My Mosin revolver. Those triggers absolutely suck.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    'My Mosin revolver. Those triggers absolutely suck. '

Nagant revolver. And those triggers do absolutely suck. Plus mine shoots a pattern not a group.

Boolit Mold
    Ruger #1 in 458 Win Mag, loaded to the max with the 500gr solid. My neurologist strongly suggested I not shoot it much. Sold it at a loss but even with the fancy recoil pad and mercury tubes in the stock it just hurt too much to shoot.
    Seecamp 380, just a nasty little gun to shoot. Still have it 'cause for an 'OH S*#T' gun its hard to beat.
    Ruger Super Redhawk in 454, just not nice and aggravated the arthritis. Sold it. Kept the same in 480 Ruger but down load it to 1000 feet per second, not too bad.

OK, both of mine have already been mentioned, but what the heck. .500 Smith with a short (4"?) barrel. What man-gene keeps popping up saying "I can do this" when your BRAIN is screaming NOOOOOOOOOOO! I was so sore I had trouble with my left arm for several days. The other stoopid thing was shooting a scandium frame .357 with full power .357s. "But, Honey, the barrel said '.357 Magnum.' Couldn't wimp out in front of the guys!" Yeah - I am now a confirmed wuss.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast