Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

My dad had a turkish o/u that would double with 3 1/2" mags. Interesting to say the least.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

Boolit Master

As an adult I haven't found any really unpleasant to shoot but I stay away from the big boomers. As a 12 year old at 5'11'' and 125 lbs., it was my dad's 12 gauge. Knocked me back about 3 feet and almost on my butt. Still don't find 3" Mag. 12 gauge to be much fun.
    Just to show how relative recoil can be, my wife, who hasn't shot much, had just finished shooting 20 rounds of factory 6.5x55 from her full dress Swede from the bench, when her son (my step-son) ask if she would like to shoot his .303 Enfield. She said yes and I said "honey, stand up". She said why and I just repeated myself. So she fired one round off-hand. When her son asked if she wanted to try again she almost knocked him over, handing the Enfield back, and firmly replied "NO".
    God Bless, Whisler

The one that really hurt me was a Smith model 629. I know a lot of people love the revolver and millions of rounds have been fired through them but for me......it kicked my ***. After about 6 rounds of full house factory level loads my right hand was twitching from the nerves that had been slapped around. I love the 44 mag but not in that revolver! Second place would be the 40 MM grenade fired out of the M203. If I didn't have that thing on the corner of my flak jacket......it really stung! At 22 years old though, you fight through that little **** though.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master

I scanned this thread & found my least favorite a few times. T/C contender 45-70 pistol with 412gr bullet and a healthy dose of IMR3031. Every shot involved blood from the shooting hand. Luckily my barrel is 16 1/4 in long with the muzzle tamer (not that it did any good) so I put a carbine stock on it. It's the handiest deer hunting carbine yet.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned
    I shot a 458 when I was younger. Dispite the recoil pad it left my shoulder black and blue for quite a while. To this day I will pass on one of them suckers.

Boolit Bub
    Rossi 92 in 44 mag with a 16" barrel shooting max loads of a 270gr cast boolit and h110 off a bench. The rifle weighs under 5lbs and the short stock has a poorly shaped curved piece of metal for a butt pad. I gave up after a few rounds and my shoulder was black and blue for weeks after.

I put a rubber limb saver slip on recoil pad on it and shoot it with lighter boolits now. Its much more bearable. Its even fun with 44 specials.

I'm A Honcho!
    My worst gun load fired was a marlin 45/70 with a full power 500 grain load. When I pulled the trigger I thought I had been hit by a space shuttle. I think I had a filling or 2 fall out also. I no longer shoot those loads. I still have the gun but have tamed it down a lot!!!!

Wasalmonslayer

Amazingly, a muzzle loader. A Creedmoor Rigby in .451 caliber shooting a 500 grain bullet over 65 grains of FFg.

Like I'd gotten ahold of the southern end of a north bound mule.

I pulled the trigger twice and handed the third round to my spotter. He only wanted it once. That night, after my shower, I found my cheek was bruised, my shoulder was bruised and the joint was stiff.

Ultimately I settled on 45 grains FFg for the load. Very accurate and I can shoot it all day long.

Now before someone says "You don't know how to handle recoil" let me say I've shot muzzle loaders for years. I've shot suppository rifles for years. I shot a standard (not SOCOM) 458 (full loads) on a regular basis for four years. I'd love to shoot a Barrett and some of the others of similar ilk but haven't had the chance yet. I have used an AA12 = fun!!!

Boolit Buddy
    "Post '64 Win M70 in .300 WinMag. Skinny barrel & nasty retarded design club of a stock." DITTO Had the same rifle with the same result. OUCH!!!! Worst kicking rifle I ever shot. The only reason I kept as long as I did was it would launch 180 gr. Nosler Partition at 3150 fps and would flatten whatever you hit with it just like a lightening bolt. Needless to say I got rid of it. Got tired of a sore shoulder and jarring my teeth and a headache after shooting it. No fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Old contender with a 357 max barrel rechambered to 358 JDJ and no brake. It had two uses one to chase all of the 10-22 shooters away that were spraying brass on me at the range, one shot and they left. The second was for the guys that claimed to be able to shoot anything. A 300 gr bullet and a bunch of H-335 made them change their mind. My doctor actually told me to quit shooting it because it was tearing up my forearm so much.

My woman has a 50-BMG gun that is a take down gun that comes apart in three pieces, barrel, center receiver/scope group, and stock that fits in its own special small suitcase.

That thing is a nightmare to squeeze off on, shoots extremely accurate and my first shot with it hit two inches above the bullseye and a half inch to the right on a 200-yard target but my next two shots (only fired it three times) didn't even hit the 2'x2' square target paper we had put up to shoot at. That first shot wrecked my accuracy for the next two not because the gun wasn't accurate but because I was as flinching like a scared little 5-year old boy who had just been beat half to death. Had to put several hundred rounds through lighter guns later that day before I got my nerve back. Didn't help that she laughed her *** off at me either. All that considering that I'm a guy who regularly casts, loads, and shoots a couple thousand or more shotgun slug loads every year !!!

That darn take down ultra compact 50-BMG sniper gun of hers is a living nightmare.

Boolit Bub
    Got a Taurus 740 Slim that is just not any fun, Recoil is not really bad. It just bites the hand when u feed it heavy, full power defensive loads. Had a dog like that once.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dmg4 View Post
    AYA 12 ga double loaded with 2 3/4" magnum full of #6 lead shot on a cold sleeting November morning in 1973 in a salt marsh firing at a Canvasback hen when both barrels went off and knocked me over the gunnel of a jon boat and into the water. The recoil was awful, the water was worse, and it ruined the duck. I distinctly remember seeing daylight THROUGH the duck as it passed about 20 ft overhead and GAINED altitude when it was hit. Pain, freezing cold, choking, hypothermia, a 1 mile paddle back to the car, and a ruined shoulder and gun. So much un-fun packed in to one pull of the trigger.
    So laughing at this. I feel your pain
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

My wife wanted a double barrel 12gauge, so for Christmas I got her a Stoeger Coach Gun. Fun to shoot until we put the 3" 00 Buck magnums in it. Left a bruise for a week on her but a smile just as long. Next on the list is a recoil pad and some lighter loads.

Picture is representative and not our actual gun.

Picture of actual wife's shoulder
    Last edited by Cloudwraith; 03-29-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg4 View Post

AYA 12 ga double loaded with 2 3/4" magnum full of #6 lead shot on a cold sleeting November morning in 1973 in a salt marsh firing at a Canvasback hen when both barrels went off and knocked me over the gunnel of a jon boat and into the water. The recoil was awful, the water was worse, and it ruined the duck. I distinctly remember seeing daylight THROUGH the duck as it passed about 20 ft overhead and GAINED altitude when it was hit. Pain, freezing cold, choking, hypothermia, a 1 mile paddle back to the car, and a ruined shoulder and gun. So much un-fun packed in to one pull of the trigger.

So laughing at this. I feel your pain

LOL but I'm not laughing. Never had a shotgun double but have had .470, .458, & .375 double rifles double & it is not funny.

The .458 kept me from moving, let alone shooting for 3 months.

Vendor Sponsor

shorty Serbu 50 BMG fired standing .. about 3 aimed shorts is all I can take before lowering the gun for a rest ...
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Thompson Contender 35 Remington 14" Bull barrel. 2 shots jarred my teeth and was put back in the case. Sure miss it now.

Boolit Mold
    CZ 550 in 9.3x62mauser.

Boolit Master
    My KelTec P3AT with 380 defensive rounds is no sweetheart. I have small hands and thought it would fit nice. It did but man it can slap the trigger finger. The extended mag helped quite a bit. Only gun that ever bothered me. My boss's Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag is nicer to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimwill48 View Post
    .380acp ATM Backup...this little monster was the only gun to ever really hurt my hand when shooting
    +1 I had two and got rid of them for the same reason. I think it had a lot to do with the hook shape of the tang. LCP was 100 times nicer, but alas I got rid of that one too...

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast