Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Boolit Mold
    Old Fox 12 ga. double. Hurt!
    juzme

Boolit Buddy
    Flamethrower - don't recollect the numerical designation as that was 1968.

Boolit Buddy
    S&W M&P 340 w/ full power 357's.

Yeouch.

Boolit Buddy
    Back in 1983 this guy here in Hawaii built a 50 bmg single shot pistol on a 1911 frame. When you pulled the trigger you could not believe the recoil Flame shot out 6 feet on each side of the muzzle brake the concussion was unbelievable felt like your eyes were driven back in their sockets. ear muffs ended up in my face. Made my 45/70 with 500 grain bullets seem like a 38 special. My hand was tingling for an hour and it gave me a headache. They posted an article about it in american handgunner but no article could really do it justice. Then I shot it again the next day! You learn as you go.

Boolit Master
    This Model 29 loaded with Buffalo Bore tended to "sting" A LOT !

It got traded off for this one ! Much happier !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

And how does SS and flutes make it more pleasant to shoot???

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Bill:

The blue Model 29 is .44Magnum and the stainless Model 624 is .44Special. I know I could shoot downloaded rounds or .44Special in the 29 but I like the balance of the Model 24.

Jerry
    Last edited by GLL; 12-21-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    The worst...hmmm? Back in 2003 I hosted a little rondevouse here at home for the folks from Muzzleloader magazines Campfire Forum. One of the fellers, Quinn Conners (aka Juniata Jack) brought along his "pirate gun" so affectionately named for the skull&crossbones motife in 75 caliber. This is a rifled flintlock about 4 feet long and weighing roughly 6 pounds when loaded with 175gr. of Goex 2fg. and a patched .740 ball. That's not a typo by the way and is a safe if not sane load in this particular gun. I was gabbing as Quinn was loading so didn't take notice of the charge he was dumping in there. I noticed when I fired it. I had perhaps not held the gun as tight as I should have at the time of ignition but managed to get it handed back just as my knees touched the ground. I couldn't shoot the remainder of the rondevouse and suffered back pain for a week. Audie...the Oldfart...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    The worst...hmmm? Back in 2003 I hosted a little rondevouse here at home for the folks from Muzzleloader magazines Campfire Forum. One of the fellers, Quinn Conners (aka Juniata Jack) brought along his "pirate gun" so affectionately named for the skull&crossbones motife in 75 caliber. This is a rifled flintlock about 4 feet long and weighing roughly 6 pounds when loaded with 175gr. of Goex 2fg. and a patched .740 ball. That's not a typo by the way and is a safe if not sane load in this particular gun. I was gabbing as Quinn was loading so didn't take notice of the charge he was dumping in there. I noticed when I fired it. I had perhaps not held the gun as tight as I should have at the time of ignition but managed to get it handed back just as my knees touched the ground. I couldn't shoot the remainder of the rondevouse and suffered back pain for a week. Audie...the Oldfart...

Argh!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    T/C Contender Super 14 in .375 Winchester, when fired with factory 250 grain Power Points.
    WOW!

GLL: The Smith 44's do tend to hit the web of your hand pretty hard. I put Pachmayer rubber grips on mine and it made it more pleasant to shoot. However toned down .44 Special loads made it a lot more pleasant to shoot.

I was good for 12 magnum rounds out of that gun and it had an 8 3/8 barrel on it. I could shoot .44 Specials loaded with Lee 240 gr SWC's all day and could hit a 5 gallon can every single time at 100 yards with that gun.

I can only imagine what that short barreled gun was like with hot loads.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    The worst thing I have fired is the AR30 in 300 Win Mag the blast from the muzzle brake just about takes your ear muffs off and gives you a smack in the face totally that is off putting apart from the fact that the build and finish of the thing is **** only redeeming feature the recoil is not to bad,
    I would not like to shoot it in 338 Lapua. Robert.

Boolit Buddy

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Winchester M37 "Clinker Gun!" It was a single shot M37 with a barrel that is about 1/8" wall thickness. It weighed a little over 5 lbs.

WE shot 12 ga. Magnum 000 Buckshot from this gun into a massive coal fired furnace at the Mohave Steam Generation Plant in Laughlin NV to break clinkers off the walls.

Clinkers are gobs of molten coal ash which build up like Stalagmites or tites as the case may be, and cause problems in the furnace. They cause hot spots on the tube walls and eventually burn thru and create tube leaks which result in shutdowns.

The accepted method of dealing with these problems is to blast them off the walls with said shotgun.

Problem: you have to open a port hole on the positive pressure furnace which blows 1000 degree plus fire out all the while you are trying to take aim thru your dark goggles which are behind a welding helmet, while clothed in very heavy clothing so you don't get burned, in the middle of the Mojave Desert during the summer! It is like shooting into hell ,,, Literally !

For some reason this is a job everybody in maintenance wants, but nobody seems to want to do twice.

When you pull the trigger,,, that's when the fun really begins. This 5 lb. gun with Magnum 12 ga. Buck Shot literally knocks the Coon Dog Ship out of you every time you pull the trigger. This is when you realize why no one else was jumping up to shoot clinkers.

Usually the new guy gets to do it.

I lasted exactly one shot.

Randy
    My only question is "Why?" If this was an official power station function, the cost of a shotgun is piddling. Why didn't they just buy a heavier weapon better-suited to the job? For that matter, it would seem to be a fairly low-dollar procedure to have a skilled fabricator fit a large, mild steel heat shield to the muzzle. It could be something like a 12 or 14" square piece of 1/16th stock to deflect most of the heat coming from the furnace port.

Just curious.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger #3 45/70 load with near 458 Win Mag. loads.

AYA 12 ga double loaded with 2 3/4" magnum full of #6 lead shot on a cold sleeting November morning in 1973 in a salt marsh firing at a Canvasback hen when both barrels went off and knocked me over the gunnel of a jon boat and into the water. The recoil was awful, the water was worse, and it ruined the duck. I distinctly remember seeing daylight THROUGH the duck as it passed about 20 ft overhead and GAINED altitude when it was hit. Pain, freezing cold, choking, hypothermia, a 1 mile paddle back to the car, and a ruined shoulder and gun. So much un-fun packed in to one pull of the trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    Airweight .44 Magnum. I suppose it makes some sense as an Alaska Fisherman's packing piece but it is a completely insane combo for recreational shooting. If I owned one I could probably enjoy some light .44 spcls in it. One cylinder full of full house loads made me hand it back with zero desire to EVER shoot it again.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master

My Taurus 651. Every time I shoot it, I end up bleeding. It seems to shave the bullet or something, and shoots chunks at me. No one to the sides of it is safe when it is being fired. I've already sent it back to the factory, and they returned it to me. Looked like they lengthened the forcing cone on it, and called it good, but last time I took it out (the first time since getting it back), I ended up bleeding on the chin and left arm.

Moderator Emeritus

S & W 500 ... very brutal recoil...and I am a S & W 29 shooter......20 gr of 2400 with 429421 Keith type bullet!

Boolit Master

The one I used in the Army...............
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Mold
    I was nine years old watching my uncle and my dad sighting in a double barrel rifle. The .577 rounds were in a big orange brown box made by Kynoch. I pestered them and pestered them to let me shoot it. My dad loaded the gun helped me lift it up and take aim. He stepped back a bit so I could feel like it was all me shooting the rifle. I pulled the triggers and both barrels fired at the same time. The gun flew right out of my hands and went well over behind me onto the ground. My dad was lucky he did not get nailed by it as it flew passed him. I did not pester them again until I was 12 and they were shooting raccoons with a 12 gauge, but thats a different story.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast