Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

You also have to realize these mini 14's were training guns and have thousands of rounds put through them over the course of about 12 years by the time I got to them..They rattled like parts in a dishpan and the throat was gone to say the least..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Well that's an easy one. I don't have pictures of it, and it's the ONLY gun I've ever gotten rid of. In the late 80's I picked up (well, was given by my father as I was under 21 at the time) a Llama 45 ACP. Worst peace of **** on the planet - well, unless it was for the purpose of teaching failure drills. If that was it's purpose, it excelled.
    I agree about the Llama .45 , absolute junk.It was the first handgun I ever bought.I hesitate to call it a 1911 but I didn't buy another .45 for almost 20 years. I sold the Llama and bought a new Ruger that had just came out , the P-85 .That was the second worst pistol I have ever owned.
    As far as recoil I guess the worst would be the Mossberg 835 , 3 1/2" 12 gauge, it isn't too bad when firing at game but I hated pattering that gun with a passion.I had a Browning Safari salt wood in .375 H&H that would get your attention but the Mossberg was just brutal.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Perm-Banned
    many years ago i bought a over priced pennsyvania precussion long rifle .45 cal kit. from dixie. put it together and it was beautiful. sighted it in after just a couple of rounds and then i couldnt hit anything. drove me nuts. take it out and it would print in a dime 2 or 3 rounds then they went every where. this gun taught me more about muzzleloading than i would have ever learned with a good gun. i read every old book i could, called people and become a bit of a expert on muzzle loading because of that lemon. now that you all are curious i bet most of you guessed why it was good for a couple of rounds then went in the toilet. yes, it was the barrel was bored off center by at leaste a 1/8 of a inch or more. when the barrel started to heat up it bent toward the lean thin side badly. one day a man from canada saw it and fell in love with it, it really looked nice. i told him about its problem and he still wanted to buy it. he was with alot of money and he was building a beautiful log cabin up north and wanted it to hang above the fireplace. he said it will never be shot again and would be a wall hanger. i got my money back out of that gun and moved on to build quite a few really good muzzleloaders all thanks to dixies overpriced lemon that they sold me. thank you dixie, however you havent got much of my business since then. i feel even better getting that off my chest.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    many years ago i bought a over priced pennsyvania precussion long rifle .45 cal kit. from dixie. put it together and it was beautiful. sighted it in after just a couple of rounds and then i couldnt hit anything. drove me nuts. take it out and it would print in a dime 2 or 3 rounds then they went every where. this gun taught me more about muzzleloading than i would have ever learned with a good gun. i read every old book i could, called people and become a bit of a expert on muzzle loading because of that lemon. now that you all are curious i bet most of you guessed why it was good for a couple of rounds then went in the toilet. yes, it was the barrel was bored off center by at leaste a 1/8 of a inch or more. when the barrel started to heat up it bent toward the lean thin side badly. one day a man from canada saw it and fell in love with it, it really looked nice. i told him about its problem and he still wanted to buy it. he was with alot of money and he was building a beautiful log cabin up north and wanted it to hang above the fireplace. he said it will never be shot again and would be a wall hanger. i got my money back out of that gun and moved on to build quite a few really good muzzleloaders all thanks to dixies overpriced lemon that they sold me. thank you dixie, however you havent got much of my business since then. i feel even better getting that off my chest.
    That story warmed my heart!
    That has happened to me so many times. I used to scrimp and save and finally have enough money to get into what should have been an "average" something-or-other, and always ended up with a lemon. I broke a 10-22 (wish I had known about Ruger's return policy), a Rossi pump .22, had a winchester M70 that shot 4" at 100, still have a 336 that shoots 4" at 100, the list goes on and on. If it weren't for these blessed gun makers putting out janky ****e, I never would have learned how to work on them! Ha!
    Now I have some nice rifles that I built for myself that are far and away better than anything I can buy at the store, and I'm a gunsmith, so now I make everyone elses problem children mind too.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Perm-Banned
    thanks for your coments, and i will share this also. when that dixie lemon stimulated me to read read read, i read the true story fo the battle of new orleans. the first shot fired was by a kentucky long rifleman named morgan. morg was ordered to take out a annoying british officer and it was 218 yards out. he stepped and at offhand he put a roundball through the young officers head. then the battle started. their were about 3400 dead and wounded of the brits. most were head shots at 90 yards. sorry you readers from england but that is history, and by the way my very best friend was born in london. after i read that i did every thing i could to find out what their guns were about and i even traveled to cody wy. and looked down many a muzzle loader barrel with a flash light to learn their bores. thank god i run into a guard their that let me do all that with him watching. i still have the .45 round ball i built with all that info and it has since got a deer at 175 yards with the ball perfectly placed and another at 125 yards with perfect accracy. all we have to do is relearn a lot what our forefathers figured out and apply it. one thing modern ive learned that cures alot of cranky guns is cryo teating the barrel, makes the harmonics smooth and the very same from shot to shot. also with modern guns it usually lets the bullet gain about 100 ft. per sec. post cryoing with the very same loads. i think back over the years how cryoing the barrel cured many a cranky barrel of my frienss at my suggestion. the one that sticks out in my mind was a very expensive weatherby .300 mag. it fired one good shot then it went every where. after cryoing it consistantly shot a very tight 300 yard group. most likely the barrel was made from a straightened bent bar stocks. cryoing took that memory of the original bend out of the steel. it become the owners favorite gun. thanks every one in bringing back good memories, johnson1942

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Jr, did he preceded it with "watch this"?
    Not that I remember. I do remember his coming in with his hand covered in blood, and the words "not a good idea"

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are the lessons we never, ever forget. Pain has a way of leaving a lasting memory.

Boolit Bub
    A 1970s vintage Charter Arms Target Bulldog in .357 magnum I really liked that gun with .38 specials but magnums would make a strong man cry. It literally felt like someone was striking the palm of your hand with a bat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    If it weren't for these blessed gun makers putting out janky ****e, I never would have learned how to work on them! Ha!
    Now I have some nice rifles that I built for myself that are far and away better than anything I can buy at the store, and I'm a gunsmith, so now I make everyone elses problem children mind too.
    Yes you do, and you'll be a busy man for some time to come. But bless the "janky ****e", it forced me to learn how to load good, custom ammunition.

BTW, I just remembered the absolute least fun, ever gun I ever shot. I still have it, too, probably because I put it away 20 years ago and haven't let it out of its bag since: Hi Standard .22 Magnum derringer. 37-pound trigger, have to pull it with the middle finger which means the index finger has to point down the side of the barrels. I have long fingers. Put that together. On top of that, the report and muzzle blast must be experienced to be believed, and it would just barely hit a 5-gallon bucket at ten feet.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 11-30-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Boolit Master

A Ruger #1 in 458 Win Mag with 500 gr solids....dale

My nephews Ruger LCR38 with some +P loads. Just the thought of the same gun in .357 makes my hand hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    That story warmed my heart!
    That has happened to me so many times. I used to scrimp and save and finally have enough money to get into what should have been an "average" something-or-other, and always ended up with a lemon. I broke a 10-22 (wish I had known about Ruger's return policy), a Rossi pump .22, had a winchester M70 that shot 4" at 100, still have a 336 that shoots 4" at 100, the list goes on and on. If it weren't for these blessed gun makers putting out janky ****e, I never would have learned how to work on them! Ha!
    4in at 100yrds is good enough for a whitetail swamp gun and wrks for me. If you want to pass it on let me know
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Most recent one that I shot which was uncomfortable for my arthritis wrists was Thompson Center in 30-30. Before that the S&W Shield in 40 S&W.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    TC Contender with a 10 inch, tapered profile barrel in 30-30. Ouch!
    I bet that is the one I used to own.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two, nay, three that are not fun. First, an encore pistol in 30/06, second an Interarms in 458 Win Mag; load that sucker with 405 gr Remingtons at full throttle and shoot it from the bench. Loaded twenty, shot twelve before deciding it was no fun. The only RIFLE I ever backed up from. Three; a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. That one, I traded for. The guy said it had only been shot eleven times. He gave me a full box and nine rounds of Winchester 260 grn bullets, plus a new set of dies and eleven fired cases. For some reason those 260's slapped my hand like nothing I had ever shot. No fun until I started loading it down and worked back up. Heavier bullets at lower velocities are a lot more fun.
    PS the Encore also came with a 22-250 barrel so all is not lost.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    All depends on the series..... the original Mini-14s were the 180 series with the shallow forend stock...... they shot very, very well. Feed them good ammo and they did MOA regularly. The 181 and following series, till about the time of the target jobs, were nothing to write home about (about 2.5 MOA if you were lucky and above).

And on this least fun gun business..... I have a friend that had a fancy special order Browning rifle that was engraved and a fancy wood stock...... all 8 pounds of it dripping wet so to speak. He handed me three factory 500 gr. solids.... I loaded them and pulled the first one off standing.... I then said it can't kick that much and loaded the second cartridge.... upon pulling that one off, I decided it could kick that much and removed the third shell and handed it and the rifle back to him. Not fun at all.............
    455 2.1 - What caliber with that 500gn bullet?

Don

Perma-Banned

Glock 17...can't hit jack with it.

Boolit Buddy
    This is why I reload:
    Bought a Marlin 1895 GS 45 70 - dealer said he hoped I liked recoil. With my loads and a 350 lead bullet, it hardly kicks. I would estimate to be equal to a 223 bolt action.
    Bought a SW 500 magnum 6.5 inch barrel - dealer said he hoped I liked recoil. With my loads of 325 lead bullets it barely barks. I would estimate on the 357 range but in my defense I am working to less powerful loads.
    I believe a lot of shooters dump otherwise wonderful calibers because they are shooting the factory hot JB's.
    I have been asked why I bought such large calibers. My usual response is "why not". I can always download to your level but you will never be able to reach my awe inspiring level of penetration and pain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Socal147 View Post
    This is why I reload:
    Bought a Marlin 1895 GS 45 70 - dealer said he hoped I liked recoil. With my loads and a 350 lead bullet, it hardly kicks. I would estimate to be equal to a 223 bolt action.
    Bought a SW 500 magnum 6.5 inch barrel - dealer said he hoped I liked recoil. With my loads of 325 lead bullets it barely barks. I would estimate on the 357 range but in my defense I am working to less powerful loads.
    I believe a lot of shooters dump otherwise wonderful calibers because they are shooting the factory hot JB's.
    I have been asked why I bought such large calibers. My usual response is "why not". I can always download to your level but you will never be able to reach my awe inspiring level of penetration and pain.
    I love it! HA!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Socal147 View Post
    This is why I reload:
    I love my Marlin 45-70 with a 415 gr cast at 1350. Very comfortable to shoot. Sadly, I have roundly criticized for shoot powder puff loads and being unmanly for not loading it to the gills for every shot.

I shoot for my own enjoyment, pain doesn't make it fun.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast