Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Boolit Grand Master

What is the least fun gun you have shot?

We have a fun gun thread- what gun that you have shot was the least fun, and why?

For a long time for me it was a Maelin 1804c. It wouldn't do better than 6 inches at 50 yards with anything. I shot it slow, fast, and in between. I tried 6 or more different bullets. The famed 358156 didn't do any better than the rest. Mag or special cases it was miserable.

Nothing worse than a gun that won't hit what it is pointed at. I have other Marlins, they all shot well, why wouldn't this one?

Spent over 8 months fighting it. Wondered why I ever bought it. Luckily I finally found the bullet it wanted and this all changed but that gun came real close to moving out of my house.

Boolit Master
    12ga 3" magnum with a bad shoulder.......

The 45/70 Bison pistol. Kicks like heck!!

Boolit Master

TC Contender with a 10 inch, tapered profile barrel in 30-30. Ouch!

Boolit Buddy
    375 H&H Win M70. My old one is a pleasure to shoot. I bought a second with a different stock and the exact same load recoiled so badly that I could not keep the rifle in my hands when I pulled the trigger. I tried three loads with the same result and sold it.

Boolit Master

Ruger #1 45-70 with loads of 405 gr @ around 1,900 fps. from a bench.

Rick

Moderator Emeritus

Any rifle with heavy recoil. I have a degenerative bone disease that is making shooting any rifle very difficult.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master
    TC Contender in .45-70 with a 14" barrel. Even with the muzzle brake, 2 shots were as much as I wanted to attempt. Brutal.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Ruger #1 45-70 with loads of 405 gr @ around 1,900 fps. from a bench.

Rick
    Those aren't even fun offhand. From a bench? No way.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend went to africa to hunt with a flintlock he built. That gun with the full power load was completely obnoxious. He used a 20mm vulcan barrel for it. Was like a 900 grn round ball. The bullet mold he had was close to 1200 grns. It was a recoil unlike anythig Ive shot before. While not fun it was interesting to say the least.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Those aren't even fun offhand. From a bench? No way.
    I was lucky that day I guess. I had fired two of the 20 rounds I loaded just to be sure it hurt. A couple of young and curious fellows came over and asked what I was shooting. I told them and asked if they would like to give it a try and of course they did. After about 10 rounds between them they started telling me they felt badly about shooting up all of my ammunition and of course I told them not to worry about that. In a few minutes I had 20 once fired cases to load with 12 grs. Unique with the same bullet.
    Lucky that day I guess,
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    Ruger no. 1 in 300 win mag. Recoil doesn't usually bother me (my bench work load for deer and pig is a 350 grn bullet at 2225 fps), but the recoil on that 300 bothered me. It didn't help that it wouldn't shoot well either. I have discovered that I don't like magnum velocities. Big chunk of lead at slow to moderate speeds is more comfortable toe me.
    Last edited by Tdart; 11-27-2013 at 09:56 PM.

TC Encore 26" Rifle barrel in 500 S&W with 700gr loads STOKED up.
    No More. In the 15" pistol they're a hand full and you have to be careful, but in the rifle there's just not enough weight there to make it pleasurable.
    After that would be a gibbs conversion 45-70. No cheek weld was possible while still seeing the sights so you have to "float" your head above it. Poor ergonomics.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

May Liberty Increase!
    Mk19....if you had to carry it. It was a lot of fun as long as someone or something else was moving it. M2 was similar.

For personally owned firearms, that distinction is shared between a 7.5 lb Remington 700 in 300RUM and a Winchester Model 12 Featherweight in 12 gauge.

The 700 was purchased from Gander Mountain about 10 years ago. It was the first left handed bolt gun I'd ever seen, and I just had to have it. I wasn't familiar with the caliber, but it didn't matter........until I pulled the trigger the first time. It's a safe queen now.

I had to have a Model 12 in my collection. My dad and grandad swore by them (though in retrospect, I should have noted that neither was actually shooting one in the dove field). I got one for a good price, which should have been another clue. Half an hour in the dove field was all I could stand with that shotgun.

I have since learned that "featherweight" is an old Indian word for "kicks like mule" and that "Mountain Rifle" is a relatively new industry word for "kicks like mule". Both are beautiful guns, but neither is going to get much use.

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    A 7.7 Jap military rifle. It didn't kick that much but: the barrel had horrible lathe marks, the receiver looked like a chisel was used to make many of the cuts, the stock was 'hand carved', too short and very rough, the rear sight was a metal plate with a small hole in it that had been tack welded on. Must have been a very, very late war production piece.

The 'pucker factor' was high, very high.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The hollow synthetic stock 870 with deer slugs is pretty bad, but all it took was one round of factory ammo in a 10" Contender .223. Too bad I didn't know about downloading it before I sold it,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Franchi 48 AL with a three inch deer slug. Never again, not me, no sir, you can have my turn.
    Arisaka Type 99.....Oh, come on, I love them ratty Japs.

Boolit Bub
    .380acp ATM Backup...this little monster was the only gun to ever really hurt my hand when shooting

Boolit Buddy
    I used to work at a gunshop/outdoor range many many years ago.When they mounted a scope we would put 3 rounds through each one at 100 yards. I fired 15 rounds through 5, 460 Weatherbys off the bench. I had a bruise that went from my sternum to my elbow.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Mold
    a model 98 mauser with milatary stock rebarreled to 458 win. one shot was plenty might as well had a go with mike tyson

Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast