WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Enfield no.4 mk1/2

I'm thinking that the only problem with that headspace is what it does to the brass. I have had a rifle with way excess headspace and so what I did is my trick of lubing the loaded cases with case lube and loading to a moderate pressure and done. The case is able to progressively elongate rearward without stretching the web area and blowing the shoulder out to fit the chamber. This leaves a working clearance in the chamber allowing easy extraction and rechambering without sizing the cases.

Before I started doing that I was getting short case life but since doing that I haven't lost a single case to head separation. The cases fired in that chamber headspaced on the shoulder after that but even so, I continued with th lubing the cases, just very lightly, mostly with the objective of maintaining consistent case to chamber wall grip from an accuracy perspective and that rifle was accurate. In fact, all three of the Lee Enfields I do that with are pretty accurate. I also do that with my hornet that has a rough chamber which I load hot, never loses a case and shoots very accurately. Without the lube it will lose a case after two firings.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-25-2019 at 01:02 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Next time you have to remove a trashed barrel and know someone with a lathe. Have them chuck the barrel end in the lathe. Take a cutoff tool and have them make a cut about 3/16" deep just in front of the receiver. The cut releases the metal's compression and usually a small pipe wrench is all that is needed to screw the barrel off. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by neilking View Post
    An update if anyone is interested. Numbric had barrels a while back, looks like I got it in January 2014. They also had an action wrench and I ordered that as well. I tried and tried to find someone to do the swap out for me but didn't have any luck. So, back in the closet it went for 5 years. For some reason the other day I decided to make a barrel vice out of a block if aluminum and tackle removing the barrel myself. SUCCESS. Tight doesn't even describe it.
    Last pic is of the old barrel

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Did you check with BDL (Brian Dick Limited) about swapping out the barrel? I have an old SMLE and bought a new barrel from - I can't remember - and I've been planning on having BDL do the swap.

I have four Enfields, but honestly - with all these headspace/bolt head/worn out/brass destroying issues & such - I'm about half scared to shoot ANY of them. Last thing I wanna do is spend hundreds on each one just to make them safe to shoot. Ain't nobody local in Denver that works on Enfields that I know of, that means shipping then out, and $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Next time you have to remove a trashed barrel and know someone with a lathe. Have them chuck the barrel end in the lathe. Take a cutoff tool and have them make a cut about 3/16" deep just in front of the receiver. The cut releases the metal's compression and usually a small pipe wrench is all that is needed to screw the barrel off. Frank
    Thought about doing this but I don't have a spider on the spindle of my lathe. I need to make one. I did turn down the shoulder on the replacement barrel so I could clock it correctly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123