MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Enfield no.4 mk1/2

I had a 94 marlin 357 with a pretty good bulge half way down...you could see/feel it from outside the barrel. It shot great as long as the boolits were soft...hard boolits or j******d not so good.

Boolit Master
    The worst type of internal bulge is just in front of the throat.
    These can be due to erosion rather than high pressure or bore obstruction.

When a bullet reaches the bulged area gas blowby super heats the bullet and when it reaches the un bulged areas the swollen and heated bullet can seize up and the core blow through leaving the jacket stuck in the bore.

Nearer the throat carbon and metal fouling can infiltrate the edges of thermal cracks causing the edges to rise, choking down bore size just in front of the chamber.
    If both situations exist in the same barrel the problems are magnified.

If there's no deep cracking that could cause later problems lead lapping to produce a gentle tapering of the bore, and slick up the bore as well, can reduce the effects.

[QUOTE=neilking;2495277]I shot this rifle with no drama. But there was a piece of paper glued over the green paint on the butt stock. I didn't take that off till after. Now I'm scared to shoot it.[/QUOTE

How did it shoot? How bad is the bulge? If it shoots ok and reasonably accurate it may be a case of no harm no foul. Head spacing may or may not be a problem. I would get it checked over by a gunsmith you trust and see what he says the go from there.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Seemed to shoot fine. Thats been over 10 yrs ago. I remember shootin at a target at 100yd and being happy with the results. I must have put a box of shells through it cause I don't have a partial box laying around.
    Using Tapatalk

So what has changed? Go shoot the gun and enjoy it.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    So what has changed? Go shoot the gun and enjoy it.

Take Care

Bob
    Robert the man has stated the rifle has headspace of .079. Do you feel comfortable in telling him to continue shooting this rifle before rectifying excessive headspace?
    .079 is excessive by British military standards, not just SAAMI standards.

As rough as the bore looks the headspace might well have still been within limits before he fired the rifle years ago, the headspace only becoming excessive after repeated pounding of the bolt by excessive pressures due to the condition of the bore.

Who measured the headspace. As indicated earlier, have the gun checked by a `smith you trust. Replace the bolt head if it is out and go shoot. Your less sentence doesn`t make much sense to me. The picture of his bore indicates it might be rough but not blocked. The rifling looks pretty deep to me. I dont recall him saying anything about evidence of high pressure or any reference to .079`just the reference to bulged barrel. It might be it was Friday and the Armourer wanted to get off early so wrote bulged barrel on the gun and threw it in the surplus bin. Have the rifle checked out by a `smith. Lots of overworked LE /4`s floating around shooting reasonable accuracy. Lots of spare bolts to if you poke around as well.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    The rifle was mentioned in the earlier "Bad Headspace" threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by neilking View Post
    The main reason I posted this in this particular thread is because this guns head space is way out of spec at about .079.
    The bore looked pretty rough to me, unless it hasn't been cleaned since the last time it was fired.
    Rough bores increase chamber pressure, simple fact, and rough bores coupled with internal bulging can greatly increase chamber pressure.

At .079 if the cartridge rim was at maximum specs of .064 head gap would be .015. The thinner the rim and even milsurp ammo can have rims several thousandths under the maximum specification, the greater the head gap.

This rifle needs serious work before I would consider it safe.

Its not like no other rifles will ever be available and using this particular rifle is a matter of great urgency.

Don't see any evidence of a bulged barrel. Its just says it has one. I took it to a place. They checked it and didn't find a bulge but put a head space guage and said it was past the limit. I don't know how thick the gauge was. So I started researching. I made a crude guage out of a shell and spacer and it measured .079. The bolt wouldn't close all the way but it was close. I bought the gun 10-15 years ago and took it to the range 1 time. It seemed to shoot fine. It had a piece of paper over the stock where it says" bulged barrel". I threw it back in the closet. Raised kids till they left home. Got to thinkin about guns again and pulled it out of the closet maybe shoot it/resore it. Well first thing I need to do is pull this stupid piece of paper off. Lo and behold a nice message......
    Using Tapatalk

Most rims I measure seem to be in the .055 range. The bolt is fine I think the breach of the barrel is worn. The rifling looks pretty good up till the last 1/2" where it seems to be pretty worn. The bore is frosty. I have cleaned it a little but not scrubbed it. And no its not urgent. I've got other guns but this one is the project. My 91/30 looks like new already so its boaring.
    Using Tapatalk

I wouldn`t worry about the frosty barrel to much. Most are from shooting mercury based primers during WW11. By the sounds of it you are good to go. Give the barrel a good scrubbing and you may find all is good. I know there are guys here who have shot cast boolits out of very rough barrels with excellent results. Just remember it is a military rifle designed to shoot people. If you can get it to shoot within 6 inches out to 100 yards using the issue sights you are doing well.

Take Care

Bob

Take Care

Bob

If the last bit of the bore looks worse or worn then chop it off. You'll end up with barrel like mine which is cut off at the base of the bayonet lugs. Don't underestimate how accurately one can file a muzzle square using a set square as a guide. But only do that if it won't group well.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Problem solved.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Well im convinced I do not have a bulged barrel. I just recieved a different barrel that's in better shape but not sure if its worh the trouble to change it out.
    Using Tapatalk

An update if anyone is interested. Numbric had barrels a while back, looks like I got it in January 2014. They also had an action wrench and I ordered that as well. I tried and tried to find someone to do the swap out for me but didn't have any luck. So, back in the closet it went for 5 years. For some reason the other day I decided to make a barrel vice out of a block if aluminum and tackle removing the barrel myself. SUCCESS. Tight doesn't even describe it.
    Last pic is of the old barrel

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I had a 94 marlin 357 with a pretty good bulge half way down...you could see/feel it from outside the barrel. It shot great as long as the boolits were soft...hard boolits or j******d not so good.
    Years ago I worked in a gun shop and took out to the desert a "Commando Carbine" in .45 ACP to shoot. It had seven bulges in the barrel you could see. Bullets still came out the end. Not sure how accurate but it wasn't built for accuracy. It was eventually sold. I often wondered if the new owner shot it that way or replaced the barrel.

Re-barreling is the best solution considering your headspace issue, because if your rifle is on a size #2 bolt head you're far less likely to find a #3 than a barrel (which I see you've already found). This will give you the opportunity to not only have a better bore, but to get the headspace back to a #0, and you should be good to go for many years.

Boolit Master
    Well how did the re barrel go?

Find out when I shoot it, I guess.

Using Tapatalk

It went well. I need to take it to the range instead of out in the wild with a half *** target. I need to put on a shorter front sight as it was shooting low. But even with a .079 headspace there were no issues. I had read that .084 was allowable for battle conditions.

Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast