MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Tool

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Tool

I'm giving some thought to the possibility of getting one of these. I'm hand priming now with a Lee. These look like they would be really slick but I haven't seen much on them nor do I know anyone who has one. Anyone out there have one? Your thoughts on them? I primarily load pistol - 38/357 and getting set up to do 9mm. Any problems with them or issues that can cause it to be less than a desirable experience?

I have also seen some of the older vintage ones - are the new ones better or if I could find a older vintage one will they work O.K. - any short comings to them?

Thanks.

Banned

I'm sure they work fine, but I for sure, don't need a space eater on my bench that primes only. Most any/all presses can prime. I will always hand prime off the press as it is something I actually enjoying doing. If you do get one, it is a well reviewed tool, so I bet you will like it.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457...h-priming-tool

I have one. Seems to work OK, but I find the process a little awkward in having to move the handle twice ( to prime and then reload the primer in the cup from the tube) to prime one casing.
    I went back to using my RCBS hand priming unit.

Several years back I did a great deal of priming off of the press and I found the hand held primers like the RCBS -which I still have- and the older style Lee unit were both faster than the Bench priming unit from RCBS. However, the bench unit sure did look cool and it was (is) a good piece of equipment - just not what I needed.
    regards,

The bench priming unit is convenient to use. I liked the one I had before I went progressive. It takes a little to get used to but it is very effective and you can get a good feel for it once you've used it. It is also easier on the thumb than the Lee hand primer which is also very reliable. I'd recommend it if you have the bench space.

The RCBS Automatic Bench Primer is probably one of my favorite tools on my bench. I have arthritis, and it sure saves my wrists a lot of grief seating primers, and is very quick to operate.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Buddy

I have an older one that I bought when I first started reloading. I hate priming from a single stage press, and removed priming arm as soon as I got the bench primer.

The longer I reload, the less I like anything mounted to my bench other than presses. So all equipment is mounted on blocks of wood and is clamped, screwed or bolted and removed when I am finished.

I am glad I bought mine when I did, and would not like to prime with out it.

They can be slicked up by polishing the lever ramp and other moving parts. In an article when I first started I saw a picture of one and the owner had shortened the handle for even better fill and thumb only operation.

Boolit Master
    I have an older one and find it very useful on S&B pistol brass or when using Wolfe/Tula primers. It easily overcomes any seating resistance.
    Loren

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day , I have one and absolutely love it , I have used a Lee hand priming tool for at least 20 years & even still have a spare new one in the box as a backup but my severe arthritis has made it impossible for me to use them now so she who is to be obeyed bought me the RCBS bench priming tool ( Bless her ) and now I can prime 500 .41 mag cases at a sitting with no pain so I highly recommend it to you .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    My hand primers keep my grip strengthened!!!!!!!

I can use them AWAY from my normal locations to prime a few hundred shells now & then anywhere I am around the place.

And bench space is at a premium, so the little boxes do not take up much space on the overhead shelf!

The choice is up to you................but, by all means, have fun!

banger

Boolit Master

I use one of the older style (original?) RCBS priming tools. I mounted it on one end of a 1" x 3" oak board about a foot long with a couple of blocks under it to raise it and give the arm swing room. It's portable and I don't have to clamp it to the bench. I store it on the shelf behind my bench and it is ready to go in a matter of seconds as soon as I place the proper shellholder in it. It has just enough leverage that I can seat the primers easily but not so much that I can't "feel" the primer seat fully. It is my favorite.
    Rick

I have one of the older models mounted on the end of an 18 inch piece of 2X4. Works well for me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Are you talking about an APS strip bench primer or the old tube style?
    The APS strip primer is the best thing since sliced bread. No handling the primer, no pickup tubes. With the strip loader I can load 500 primers into the strips in 4 or 5 minutes. They're the most consistant seating tool that I've ever used. You can feel the resistance nicely, and depth is VERY repeatable.
    They make the same primer in a press mounted version so that it doesn't take up any space while you aren't using it.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Man
    Been using mine for 25 years on all the rifle cases that I load. Can't imagine reloading without it. Smooth operation and great primer feel.

I have the older tube type RCBS and use it a lot for calibers I do not use the Dillon's for. I use a vibra prime to load tubes and the Dillon tubes work also, so I have a drawer full of tubes. My press bench is steel and I drilled and tapped the surface for the presses and devices I might want to remove and a few seconds with a socket and ratchet and fill the hole with a set screw that size and pitch. My old hands get tired with a Lee or RCBS hand primer after a while.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    I have an older model RCBS that I've had for 40 years. Mine is mounted to a piece of plywood that I clamp to the bench when needed.....my Lyman case trimmer sits on the other end of the same piece of plywood. Last year RCBS sent me a set of replacement piston rods for the priming tool for free. I had worn the piston rod for small primers so short I needed another.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    Are you talking about an APS strip bench primer or the old tube style?
    The APS strip primer is the best thing since sliced bread. No handling the primer, no pickup tubes. With the strip loader I can load 500 primers into the strips in 4 or 5 minutes. They're the most consistant seating tool that I've ever used. You can feel the resistance nicely, and depth is VERY repeatable.
    They make the same primer in a press mounted version so that it doesn't take up any space while you aren't using it.
    The RCBS APS bench-mounted unit is the only priming tool I use.
    I have used it to prime tens of thousands of cases over the years.
    I load in batches of 300-500 cases at a time and just use the strip loading tool to load as many primers as needed and then prime away. 3-500 cases goes pretty quick that way.
    I enjoy using it so much more than the aggravating hand priming tools from Lee and RCBS.

My APS is mounted permanently to the bench on an RCBS tool plate...I remove the handle when not priming cases.
    If you replace the priming strips regularly it is a trouble-free device.

Boolit Bub
    I also recommend the RCBS tool. I have two-- one has been used so much RCBS replaced the lever and rods once, and I was not wanting to ask for another set after so much use so I just bought another one, and it's still working. I have about 20 tubes and load them all up and can prime 2,000 pieces of brass in an evening. Fast and easy on the hands and arm.

Boolit Master
    I also have the RCBS bench mount priming tool and it is the best priming system I have ever used.

As to additional holes or tools on the bench, that doesn't happen if your using the "Under Bench Receiver System".

You can check out the receiver system on the net. Just google the Under Bench Receiver System.
    By the way, tried the Forester bench mount tool and it went back to Cabela's ASAP!!!!!!! Poorly thought out tool and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Bought it because it was cheaper, but with that it was still higher priced then the true value of the tool.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 11-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS APS bench tool. I use it for 75 to 80% of my priming. Only time I do not is when I am dong a low volume.
    With new strips I have not had any issues its super fast and accurate. Occasionally It will hang the primer rod on a worn strip. When using reloaded strips.
    The 1st few times you will end up dropping the primer stem inside the primer. This requires some disasembly to remove. After a couple times cussing while taking it apart. You learn how to feel it when one is going to stick and you use a rod or something to push the seating rod back down with out dropping our of the holder cup. Then throw away that strip when complete.

Very cool tool, glad I got it.

oh lookie I found a old video of it.

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/Kell...arvid.mp4.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast