Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rcbs 44-250k or lyman 429421?

Boolit Buddy

Talking rcbs 44-250k or lyman 429421?

Christmas is coming i can get the rcbs 44-250k or the lyman 429421.Witch would you pick any input on either would be great. I have lyman 429640 hp@the lee 310.Thanks Bob

Boolit Master
    MP 432256 aka H&G 503 Clone

If you PM Miha he might have one left. He just did a run of both Solid and Hollow Point. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Clone-432-250

PM: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/priv...o=newpm&u=5623
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Mal Paso gonna look into this for sure

Boolit Master
    There is some history in the new Handloader Magazine. This was the last "Keith" Elmer designed and it was after the 44 Magnum was an established cartridge.
    Mal

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Either one, I've used both, if it's a factory mold you're after. If your economy allows then the MP as stated or Tom at Accurate molds. He'll make it to fit your guns throat if that's an issue.

I have both and they are great. I usually cast the Lyman since it's a 4-cavity.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys think i will go for the rcbs i really like there molds i have some lee ,lyman and 1 rcbs mold they seem well made Thanks again Bob

Quote Originally Posted by shooter bob View Post
    Thanks guys think i will go for the rcbs i really like there molds i have some lee ,lyman and 1 rcbs mold they seem well made Thanks again Bob
    RCBS makes quality moulds most of the time. If not, they will make it good. I hear the Lyman version has undersize front scraper band. Accurate molds are expensive, but verygood quality.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can get the MP 503 clone, do it. If not, the other two are
    wonderful molds, but I'd probably rate the RCBS a bit better
    mold quality and durability than the Lyman.

NO bad answers to this question.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS mold design, is supposedly truer to the original Keith design than the current Lyman offering. I believe it has something to do with the driving band width and the shape of the bottom of the grease groove.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    Either one, I've used both, if it's a factory mold you're after. If your economy allows then the MP as stated or Tom at Accurate molds. He'll make it to fit your guns throat if that's an issue.
    +1 both awesome

Tom's are a work of art.

Boolit Master

What Bill said, exactly. If I had to buy one, it'd be the RCBS. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Concur with the choice of RCBS. In my experience the RCBS molds cast more easily.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had great work from my Lyman #429421. My RCBS moulds are all a delight to use, also--though a couple run a few ticks undersized. Tough choice. Tom's Accurate Molds have been a cut above both, though--and if your revolver runs with wider throats (SAAMI spec is .433") then Tom's tools or a Mountain Molds semi-custom design might be a better idea. The cost of these small-shop tools is not significantly higher than that of the mass-produced products, and the tools are worth every cent of their prices.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I would go for the Lyman because you can get it in a four cavity.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

If you are shooting a revolver with larger throats you should talk to Tom.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I have (deep breath): a 1-C Lyman 429421-round lube groove-248 gr., a Lyman 2-C Lyman 429421-square lube groove-250 gr., another 2-C Lyman 429421-square lube groove-250 gr., an 4-C NOE 429421-square lube groove- 260 gr., A 2-C MiHec/Miha 429421HP-square lube groove- weight of solid as yet unknown, and a 2-C RCBS 44-250KT-square lube groove- 260 gr. All the aforementioned weights are as-cast with WW's. I plink and target shoot with the NOE and hunt with the RCBS (2 deer with it this season so far). I'd have to go with the RCBS although I must say the MiHec appears to be very similar to the RCBS. I really like the nice fat front driving band on the RCBS bullet.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I have both, like both, bothshoot well. The Lyman is a 4cav & the RCBS is mod for my Magma.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I have (deep breath): a 1-C Lyman 429421-round lube groove-248 gr., a Lyman 2-C Lyman 429421-square lube groove-250 gr., another 2-C Lyman 429421-square lube groove-250 gr., an 4-C NOE 429421-square lube groove- 260 gr., A 2-C MiHec/Miha 429421HP-square lube groove- weight of solid as yet unknown, and a 2-C RCBS 44-250KT-square lube groove- 260 gr. All the aforementioned weights are as-cast with WW's. I plink and target shoot with the NOE and hunt with the RCBS (2 deer with it this season so far). I'd have to go with the RCBS although I must say the MiHec appears to be very similar to the RCBS. I really like the nice fat front driving band on the RCBS bullet.

35W
    CALL!

Two Lyman 4 C 429421s, One 5C NOE 429421, Four 4C MP 432256s and one 4C 432256 HP
    Mal

Why is the H&G 503 clone better than either the Lyman 429421 or the RCBS 44-250K? I am not talking quality or stuff like custom diameters. I am just talking design. When I look at the 503 it seems an awful lot like every other SWC. It seems to have a straight angled side as opposed to a radius or compound radius to the nose. The meplat seems similar. Weights are about the same. All are plain base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast