Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black powder and .577 or .577/450?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    ....... A little pain never hurt anybody.......
    Isn't this a contradiction.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE MOULDS View Post
    with all these difficulties, we must remember what happened at rorke's drift.
    The start of all my Martini collection!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    tackleberry 41 do you still have the steel chamber inserts 577/450--45-70) McAce??? did they work and were did you get them and are they still avail
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 08-29-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I turned up from solid brass stock both .577 Snider & .577/.450 M.H. cases. I bored cases to hold only 75grs. of black..left the head area pretty thick..had to make special long de-priming punch to remove primers. I figured I didn't need any more powder capacity than that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    tackleberry 41 do you still have the steel chamber inserts 577/450--45-70) McAce??? did they work and were did you get them and are they still avail
    I bought them a couple years ago. They didnt list them, sent and email asking. Guess they still sell them. I had to machine them a little, I have the nepal made rifles the bore and throat is tighter than the British rifles. I have a lathe was an easy task. They do work, but not fast loading. The 45-70 dont just come out, have to be knocked out. And guess they do swell some, as they only fit one rifle now and not the other.

Boolit Master
    Is there a problem with the case not expanding enough to seal off the breech due to it’s thickness? I wondered because we had that problem in a .45 Colt rifle using Starline cases-they were a tad thicker than some of the other cases we were using and left soot on them with lighter loads.

Boolit Master
    In fact the chamber inserts for 577/450 dont work for different reasons.....Chambered for 45/70 ,both cases and inserts swell and jam ....in 45 Colt ,bullets are undersized,and dont take the rifling............There is an obvious answer....chamber the insert in 475 Ruger.......however ,be sure to only use lead bullets and 45 Colt loads......A factory jacket bullet load might have interesting results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    If you look into the history of the 577 brass cases it was to expedite conversion of Pattern 1853 x 577 Enfield muzzleloaders to a breech loader using the system designed by Mr Snider. Cases loaded for the Snider included a buckshot load as well as standard infantry loads and carbine loads for calvary and artillery use.

Both 577 Snider and later 577/450 were firstly made with foil brass material and it may be that anything smaller would have been difficult to manufacture at the time with available equipment.

I've always had a fascination for the 577 Snider as it was such a short lived round (1867-1871) and nobody seemed to 'bother' to develop it further once the Mk1 577/450 Martini Henry was introduced!

So I had the 577 "Super Snider" custom built. A Martini Henry rebarrelled with a 1:48" Lothar-Walther barrel chambered for a drawn brass case. Loaded as you would for BPCR, the case will hold 92gns FFG behind a 615gn plain based boolit! Now recoil in an 8lb rifle off a bench is just painful and the first range session left me with a bleeding face when my thumb was driven into the cheekbone and broke the skin!

I've also done a lot of work on the 577/450 and am confident that my load with filler is an accurate combination!

now that group has BRAGGIN RIGHTS!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123