Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: range bullets

Boolit Mold

range bullets

As WW availability is slowly going away, I'm wondering what the general composition of the lead in jacketed bullets might be? I'm just thinking in general terms; I'm sure different mfr's have their own recipes. Or is it just pure lead? I have access to a rifle and pistol range and plan on doing some Sunday morning mining.
    Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    I fing that in general it will be around 1 percent antimony and maybe 1/4 percent tin. This is for range scrap all melted down together.

Each company uses a variety of core compositions for various bullets. A 45 ACP 230 RN can get by with as often core than say a 300 HP for a 454 Casull.

I've tested mine after just smelting out the lead and recycling the copper. Same composition as 20:1, about BHN of 6. Airgun pellets test the same also. Not pure, but dang close. Use mine for swaging cores.

Boolit Buddy
    Of the 1000's of pounds of range scrap (mostly jacketed) I've dealt with.. I have yet to see any of the lead be even close to pure. It has always come in between 12 & 15 bhn without water dropping or heat treating.

Shad
    Last edited by shadowcaster; 11-25-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

I know one mfg uses the following compositions; pure, 3%, 5% antimony with the highest usage being 3% for most hunting bullets. Pure for black powder and varmint bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Most rifle bullets are 0 - 3 % antimony and most handgun cores are 2 - 5% antimony. Never found there to be much tin. Add 2% tin and you should get an AC'd BHN of 14 - 17 which makes a very nice GP alloy. If there are commercial cast mixed in then the % of antimony goes up and there is a little tin also but no enough. With most of my RL, which is a mix of jacketed and commercial cast, I had 20 - 30% lead which brings the % of antimony down and then add 2% tin. That alloy will cast excellent quality bullets. That gives a very good balance of lead/ antimony/tin in the ternary alloy for a BHN of 12 - 14 and which WQ's to 23 - 26 BHN.

Larry Gibson

I find that mine is pretty much the same as the folks above... I always add 2% tin and then after the boolits mature a bit after water dropping, i end up in the 12-15 bhn... Just fine for my use.... And i live off of range scrap.... For the most part...

AG

Moderator Emeritus

My hand picked range scrap is mostly from a pistol range, and is around 9 BHN. I bought some range scrap from a member here and his was softer, like 7 BHN.

I suppose it depends on the percentage of 22LR and plated boolits and Muzzleloader balls are in the mix, as they are pure or very near pure Lead.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My only guide to hardness is experience. I must have inadvertently cast some round balls from range scrap, as yesterday I loaded two balls into my 1858 Remmie and the third ball got part-way into the chamber and jammed solid!! End of days shooting. Went home to unload everything and had to drill out the ball to get a screw into it and hammer it out. Thumbnail test indicated it was very hard!

This is pistol range scrap, and I'm guessing a hardness of at least 12, judging by what others here have said. Unless it's collected from a black powder range I always assume the scrap is going to be hard.

(I had to scrap all my cast balls and have started re-casting, this time a bit more carefully!!).

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    My only guide to hardness is experience. I must have inadvertently cast some round balls from range scrap, as yesterday I loaded two balls into my 1858 Remmie and the third ball got part-way into the chamber and jammed solid!! End of days shooting. Went home to unload everything and had to drill out the ball to get a screw into it and hammer it out. Thumbnail test indicated it was very hard!

This is pistol range scrap, and I'm guessing a hardness of at least 12, judging by what others here have said. Unless it's collected from a black powder range I always assume the scrap is going to be hard.

(I had to scrap all my cast balls and have started re-casting, this time a bit more carefully!!).
    I would think the drop test would be good enough for your hardness testing, but you'd probably need to use a bar shaped ingot (like from a $7 LEE ingot mold) as compared to a muffin shaped ingot.

after you smelt a batch, drop an ingot onto concrete, if you get a 'ring' like COWW then it's hard. If you get a thud like SOWW, then you should have an alloy soft enough for your 1858.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

What are you using to alloy up the tin level? 60/40 solder is about $20 a half pound at any of the big retailers..

I use the small ingots that Imashooter sells all the time around here.... They are small, individually weighted and very easy to work with... Plus, he is a great guy...

JonB, I use the "drop test" too, and know that the range scrap is hard. My problem was that somehow I managed to use the wrong stuff when casting. I'm a lot more careful about labelling stuff now!

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    Of the 1000's of pounds of range scrap (mostly jacketed) I've dealt with.. I have yet to see any of the lead be even close to pure. It has always come in between 12 & 15 bhn without water dropping or heat treating. Shad
    That's pretty much my results too.

Boolit Grand Master

Near 3 tons, all from LE range, 12-15 BHN. There are 1 oz shotgun slugs, 0000 balls, and 223, along with mostly 40 FMJ involved.

The largest amount of range lead that I have worked with was from 100% jacketed bullets. Approx. 7,000 lbs. worth. Smelted, I get a consistent 9 brnl across the board. This is a mixture of all calibres combined in one smelting run.

Just a tad off topic but I just scored about 100lbs of solder scrap from a local radiator shop. Guy was happy to get rid of it. Melted down into 1 lb ingots makes for a neat way to add solder to the mix. The lead containers I get from the local hospital that come with their radioactive isotopes arfe not pure lead and when melted down into ingots have a ring to them when dropped.

Glad to hear the cores are alloys and not pure lead. I mine our local range for lead as well.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. Hope you are all enjoying Thanksgiving.

Howard