WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Value of Blackhawk .30 varbine?

Boolit Master

OT Value of Blackhawk .30 varbine?

Guys, I've been hankerin' for a .32 H&R Mag pistol and I though the Blackhawk in .30Carbine could be loaded mild to wild and could be my .32 H&R, if I so desired.

So I've found a shop that has a used 7 1/2" Blackhawk with a Bushnell scope mounted and a spare .32-20 cylinder for $325. That is kinda in my price range.. but I don't follow the value of these things; is it a good deal, fair deal or I'll buy it if you don't deal?

If that Ruger is in good shape, I'd jump all over it. Seriously, if you're not interested, please send me their phone number.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is one hell of a fine deal.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Scrounger, PM sent.

Boolit Master

Darn it, I hate it when I make a 'typo' in the title and can't change it!

I want a .30 pistol but financially I just shouldn't do it! That Blackhawk is in California and I've sent the info to Scrounger so he can save me from myself!

It's mine, mine, mine!!!! As soon as I send them a money order and FFL. I already have dies and brass for .30 carbine; not sure if there would be anything gained in using the .32-20 cylinder. A big thanks to TrooperDan for his help. If this gun had been anywhere but California it would probably have been more money. It falls into the class of pistols that dealers can't sell there. All of these guns are taken in on consignment by the dealer and when a buyer is found, a private party transfer is done. The owners generally price these guns a lot less than the dealer would if he could buy and re-sell it. No problem of course with out of state sales to FFL.

Boolit Master

Congratulations Art! I hope it is a good 'um; I know it will have a good home! I had no idea that single actions were a no-no in California! Who would'a thunk it? Glad you got it 'cause I might have bought it against my better judgement!

Not single actions per se, just all pistols that the manufacturer won't pay the state $5000 or whatever to test them before they can be sold. These include most models of S&W, Colt, and Ruger. Every caliber of a model must be tested. The bottom line is that unless the manufacturer is pretty dang sure he's going to sell at least a thousand guns in that model and caliber, he don't pay to have it tested and approved.

Boolit Grand Master
    Scrounger, I might be interested in the 32-20 cylinder. Let me know if you want to keep it or not and what you might want for it. Thanks

Super Moderator

............I have one in 30M1 Carb, and have been trying to get a belt mtn basepin for it for awile now. Has a bit of lateral shake to it. Mike Venturino did an article on one several years back and said it was the most accurate revolver he'd ever shot.

I don't care what ANYONE on the pistol line is shooting. You show up with one of those and some factory or hot loaded ammo and you'll be the envy of every masochist on the line. Double muffed it still hurts my ears. Gotta be the most piercing report out there. I even loaded up some Lyman 311252, 77gr RNPB over 1.5gr of Bullseye and IT was loud!

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Yesterday I posted that I would use the .30 Carbine cylinder in my soon to be new Blackhawk because the .32-20 cylinder didn't show me anything. Now I'm starting to wonder because .32-20 data in a 10 inch Contender barrel is impressive. The .30 carbine data in the Blackhawk is pretty good too but I can't find any direct comparisons of the two calibers in the same gun to see which is better. Anybody have an opinion they can back up? I wonder if someone could set up both calibers to same pressure on one of those software gadgets to predict velocity?

In Remebrance

The 30 Carbine can probably be loaded hotter, but with Starline 32-20 brass (very strong) I would say you could probably equal or exceed factory 30 Carbine loads. Check Paco Kellys articles at www.leverguns.com for some HOT loads in both.

Regardless Art, THE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER WHEN USING THE 32-20/30 CARBINE IS TO WEAR HEARING PROTECTION 'CUZ THEY'RE LOUD!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN 3 DAY EAR ACHE, BLOODY NOSE, WRAP YOUR HEAD IN DUCT TAPE LOUD!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I can understand why factory type loads in .30 Carbine would be so loud but Buckshot mentioned that even 1.5 gr Bullseye was loud! Now why would that be?

I'll never forget Skeeter Skelton's description of his first round from a Blackhawk .30; He said it felt like someone smacked him in the face with a wet towel at the same time a dynamite cap exploded in each ear!

Scrounger,
    Compare the data for both cases in 10" Contender barrels in the Sierra manual. That will tell you what you are looking to find out. I don't think there's a whole heck of a lot of practical difference between the two on paper or in the field. A dead woodchuck doesn't have an opinion, or an apetite for what's in my garden, for that matter, after either one catches up with him.
    30carb is my favorite handgun cartridge for target & small game, and I shoot it in a Contender. The rimmed 32-20 case is easier to get in and out of both revolvers and Contenders, but 30carb brass is MUCH easier to come by, especially when the club members dig out their M1 carbines and have at it. I get it by the bucket (and HOARD it). I have no idea why it is so loud in a Blackhawk either, but I can attest to it firsthand. The wet towel in the face is a good way to describe it. That's another reason I prefer the Contender.
    Born OK the first time.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    I can understand why factory type loads in .30 Carbine would be so loud but Buckshot mentioned that even 1.5 gr Bullseye was loud! Now why would that be?

I'll never forget Skeeter Skelton's description of his first round from a Blackhawk .30; He said it felt like someone smacked him in the face with a wet towel at the same time a dynamite cap exploded in each ear!
    IIRC it's something to do with bore size in relation to..... sumthin', I fergit whut. All I know is as bore size increase it seems the blast becomes more of a boom I can shoot my 45AR or 45ACP revolters with 230 gr cast at 650-850 fps without "ears" if I have to. Can't do that with a 32. Of course as powder charge and velocity increase the effects aren't so different, ala 44 Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted a .30 Blackhawk for years, off and on, almost bought 3 or 4 times, but finally gave up after reading an article on erratic accuracy based on sloppy chamber lengths and therefore headspacing issues. Don't know how universal the the problem is/was, but I had other problematic handguns at the time (AMT, anyone?). Something to check for, I guess. Incidentally, after some experience with 3 or 4 .32-20 short guns, I find that it has some issues of its own, including aggravatingly sloppy chambers in some of the Italian replicas.

I picked up the .30 Carbine Ruger today. The Bushnell phantom scope that came with it was removed so they could get the gun in its' original yellow box. Scope looks good but I have no intention of using it. I will sell it and the mount. The rear sight had to be removed to mount the scope and the rear sight is missing. An extra hole had to be drilled into the top strap for the scope mount. For some unknown reason they removed the bluing on the top strap??? I suppose I can cold blue it but it's not going to look right. Rest of the gun is pretty good, it has the original grips and Pachmyers. The extra (.32-20) cylinder appears to be a .30 carbine cylinder that someone rechambered. I suppose I will sell that too. All in all, it's worth what I paid for it. Now I have some questions:

1. What is the Bushnell Phantom and mount worth?
    2. What is the extra cylinder worth?
    3. Is there a better after-market sight to get than just factory replacement? Seems I remember some guys recommending Millet Sights...

Boolit Master

For the rear sight, take a look at

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

under 'Parts' and then 'target sights' and 'Ruger Rough Country' sights.

Mark

Boolit Master

My 30 Carbine Blawlk loves 110 - 125 gr cast bullets sized at .310 or .311
    13 gr of 4227 gives you just less than 1300 fps , but 11.5 is super accurate and easyer on the ears , even with muffs

I have run a lot of the Soup can bullet thru mine
    My gun shoots best when you have to just push to chamber the rnds , with the bullets .310 or .311
    But my brothers will no chamber .311 , his needs a .309 bullet to chamber easly

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I too have one in .30 carbine.

When your eardrums meet in the middle you KNOW it's loud!
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast