Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Thumler's Tumbler Model B Hi-speed belt -equivalent o-ring size

  1. #1
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838

    Thumler's Tumbler Model B Hi-speed belt -equivalent o-ring size

    Hi, All -

    From a previous post, I noted that I was having problems with Thumler's Tumbler Model B Hi-speed belts breaking all too frequently. The replacement belts are $5-$6 a pop, so this was getting expensive. I went on the search for the equivalent o-ring size in hopes of getting both a cheaper and longer lasting belt.

    I measured a new replacement belt and researched the matter. It appears the standard sized o-ring that corresponds with the Thumler's belt size is o-ring number .343 with the following dimensions:

    O-ring Size: 3 3/4"ID X 4 1/8"OD X 3/16"CS

    I ordered several ethylene propylene o-rings in this size. I'm told this composition resists stretching. They were 80 cents apiece. After my first tumble today using these o-rings, I can report they fit perfectly on my tumbler and works no different than the replacement belt.

    Time will tell how long this o-ring will last with continous use, but I'm going to find out. I have a hunch it won't be any worse than the actual replacement belts, and hopefully, will be much better.

    I hope this info helps. I haven't seen this equivalent size info posted anywhere else.

    Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 11-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  2. #2
    Boolit Master dbosman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Lansing, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,716
    Great find.
    You forgot to tell us where to order from though.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Great find.
    You forgot to tell us where to order from though.
    Sure, dbosman -

    Here is the web page to the exact ethylene propylene o-rings I purchased. They were prompt in shipping. Had no issues with the order.

    http://www.theoringstore.com/index.p...oducts_id=6511

    Good luck and happy tumbling....

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NE Ilinois
    Posts
    1,751
    My Thumler's Tumbler Model B is from 1980...have the original "O" ring belt on it. I always remove the belt from the pulley when not running it...it is 33 years old now.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master Airman Basic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South of I-20
    Posts
    655
    Shows to go ya. Mine's about 30 also, but I've never pulled the belt. Worried about stretching it, don't ya know.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    My Thumler's Tumbler Model B is from 1980...have the original "O" ring belt on it. I always remove the belt from the pulley when not running it...it is 33 years old now.
    Wally -

    I also have been pulling off the belt after each tumble, but I've had very short belt life and for no apparent reason!

    I wish I had your luck with those tumbler belts lasting so long. I really think these o-rings are going to have a longer life span than the factory replacement belts - at about 7 times cheaper!

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  7. #7
    Boolit Master ColColt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,167
    I think I'll order a few of those...thanks, Bayou.
    NRA Patron Member

    Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

  8. #8
    Boolit Master dbosman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Lansing, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,716
    Thank you bayou52.

  9. #9
    Boolit Man




    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    81
    I had an old thumler given to me that had no belt. Went through multiple varieties of vacuum cleaner belts with no good results. Finally went to Home Depot and bought some GE UCRING o-rings for GE filtration units. Don't remember the exact price, but very inexpensive and the first ring I put on has lasted nearly a year with no visible wear. Of course, that might be because I bought about five bags with two rings in each. I'm sure if I only had one it would probably break right away.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    LUBEDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,462
    Thanks Bayou, I went ahead and ordered six at .80 each. Even though I've had no problems with either of my two units. But it's a matter of time.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

    NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

  11. #11
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Thanks Bayou, I went ahead and ordered six at .80 each. Even though I've had no problems with either of my two units. But it's a matter of time.
    Sounds good, LubeDude -

    Never hurts to have a few spares in the hip pocket. I certainly won't be ordering factory repacement belts anymore. Not at $5 - $6 apiece!

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  12. #12
    Boolit Master

    gwpercle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by captbligh View Post
    I had an old thumler given to me that had no belt. Went through multiple varieties of vacuum cleaner belts with no good results. Finally went to Home Depot and bought some GE UCRING o-rings for GE filtration units. Don't remember the exact price, but very inexpensive and the first ring I put on has lasted nearly a year with no visible wear. Of course, that might be because I bought about five bags with two rings in each. I'm sure if I only had one it would probably break right away.
    What department of Home Depot, I'm not familar with a filtration unit. I want something I can buy locally but home depot is a big place to wander around aimlessly looking for something I have no idea what it is or looks like. Do you have a home depot or manufacturer's product number ? would appreciate it.

    Gary

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    Good info, thanks -

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  15. #15
    Boolit Buddy



    xman777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    311
    Good post here! This is why forums are such a good thing for everybody.

    By the way, a few things I did to improve belt tracking/reduce wobble are to firm up the motor mount and to use a dab of silicone grease on the white bushings that the tumbler rides on. Those two things really make it run much better in my opinion.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by xman777 View Post
    Good post here! This is why forums are such a good thing for everybody.

    By the way, a few things I did to improve belt tracking/reduce wobble are to firm up the motor mount and to use a dab of silicone grease on the white bushings that the tumbler rides on. Those two things really make it run much better in my opinion.

    Xman777 ,

    Can I ask how you firmed up the motor mount on the model B? There are no motor mount adjustments on my tumbler.

    Thanks -

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  17. #17
    Boolit Buddy



    xman777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    311
    I made a bracket and fastened it to the rear of the motor. Be careful you get it tracking correctly before you snug everything down!

  18. #18
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by xman777 View Post
    I made a bracket and fastened it to the rear of the motor. Be careful you get it tracking correctly before you snug everything down!

    Thanks -

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


  19. #19
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    838
    Most good auto parts stores should have that size o-ring in stock.

    I also have a tube of super glue for when it breaks,in a pinch.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master Bayou52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Louisiana
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    I also have a tube of super glue for when it breaks,in a pinch.
    Does super glue actually work to hold tumbler belts together? It just seems thst the glue wouldn't hold under the load, but I've never tried it.

    Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check