Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need advice for a good kitchen knife and butcher block set for my wife.

Boolit Man

I've had a set of the Wusthof wooden handled riveted style for almost 40 years and they're great, but America's Test Kitchen on PBS tests lots of equipment and Victorinox Forschner (Yes, the ones who make swiss army knives) always does really well in their tests and are way cheaper than the German Trident or Wusthof.

In Remembrance
    We have a set of knives from Chicago Cutlery that have served us well for twenty-odd years, or more ... but I'll tell you a quick story.

It was 1976 when my wife and I bought our first real house (no more mobile homes). We dealt with a little old widow lady, who left behind a smattering of odd and ends. In a shed out back, I found and old worn-out butcher's steel and a wide bladed chef's knife.
    The knife obviously had a lot of age on it, even back in '76.

That is the best knife we have ever owned. It has wood slab handle scales and on one it says Dexter 48910.
    It sure is good steel.

This one (found on eBay) looks just like it.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 11-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Mold
    I've been a big fan of the Dexter Russell 8" Chinese chef's knife in carbon steel for years now. It is cheap, holds an edge well, sharpens easy and is a very versatile kitchen tool - seriously it grates, slices, dices, chops, scoops and more. I gave 4 out to friends' wives the other year and it is always funny to see the $20 Dexter Chinese knife getting the use while the expensive fine German steel $200 dollar European chef's knife sits in the block.

Also +1 for the Ontario knives. The Old Hickory line isn't the prettiest but take a great edge and are easy to keep sharp.

Boolit Buddy

Update: went Bed Bath and Beyond. Got her Calphalon Katana series 18 piece cutlery set. 450 with 20% off coupon, 50 dollar gift card and free cheese board and knife set. It got great reviews and looked and felt as good as the Wustof or the German knife. Have a Chicago Cutlery set that the ex ruined putting in the dishwasher. She also kept the block. Thanks for all the help and advise. Hope I did ok.
    Last edited by flyer1; 11-24-2013 at 05:50 PM.

You did fine - now for the edification of the group - keep track of which knives are used most all the time.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

Ok I will keep track. Is that so I can get more of the same? Or to keep those sharp?

Boolit Grand Master

For the kitchen there is only one brand to consider: Cutco. Grandmother has her original set she bought in the sixites. Mother has the original set she bought on the late seventies. And I have my set that I bought over a decade ago. They are worth the money.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    We have a set of knives from Chicago Cutlery that have served us well for twenty-odd years, or more ... but I'll tell you a quick story.

It was 1976 when my wife and I bought our first real house (no more mobile homes). We dealt with a little old widow lady, who left behind a smattering of odd and ends. In a shed out back, I found and old worn-out butcher's steel and a wide bladed chef's knife.
    The knife obviously had a lot of age on it, even back in '76.

That is the best knife we have ever owned. It has wood slab handle scales and on one it says Dexter 48910.
    It sure is good steel.

This one (found on eBay) looks just like it.

CM
    That's a good lookin knife there MC.
    Dost mine eye's deceive, or is that an old LL Bean?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    That's a good lookin knife there MC.
    Dost mine eye's deceive, or is that an old LL Bean?
    Nope.
    It, too, is a Dexter 48910.

The temper on the blade allows it to be very flexible (almost like a filet knife) but it never 'bends'.
    That is, it always comes back to 'straight'.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

The best quality for the money that I have found is Cutco knives.
    Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and very very well made. I used to make knives, and I'm a pretty demanding customer, but I can tell you that Cutco get's the MBT stamp of approval.
    I have the big chefs knife, a carving knife, some paring knives, and a spatula. All are absolutely superb.
    The chefs knife is my very favorite. If your wife doesn't feel like sharpening them, then she can send them back to be sharpened for free.
    Personally, I have a very nice 18" steel and the Cutco's take to that like a duck takes to water. They are easy to sharpen, but hold that edge like gambler holds a bad deal of cards!

I've used most of the top brands, but Cutco is the best for the money. If you want to save a little on cost, buy a used set on ebay and send them back to be sharpened. My mom has made many a christmas gift of resharpened Cutco knives over the years since I told her about them, and she has acquired a pretty impressive collection herself.
    I'll add my endorsement to Cutco.
    Most of the butchers I've known use them.
    Another good American company is Lamson & Goodnow. They makes a good little blade touch up tool also.
    That actually works.

http://www.lamsonsharp.com/store/pg/8-About-Us.html

I've a full set of the Lamsonsharp in a block that's about twelve years old and still looks like new. They cost a lot more money now. About like guns they've doubled in twelve years. BTW Case still makes pocket knives in America and they are as good or better than ever.

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta love those old carbon steel chef knives. It might just be my imagination, but I swear carbon steel cuts better than stainless. It just has more "bite".
    Course, that's one thing I love about Cutco. They are obviously SS, but they sharpen and cut just like a good carbon steel blade.
    Strange.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus

For sharpening I stay away from anything motorized, it takes way to much metal off the blades. use this for sharpening http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model...-2-kit-p5.html repeatable angle, I added the 1,000 grit stone to really put a razor edge on a knife.

Link below is to the six dollar knife sharpener I mentioned in post above. They actually work guys. I only use the ceramic sticks unless it's something very dull. It carries along on a hunt too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136...ugv13407139054

Case Trapper pocket knife for yourself..lol.. Hey honey its' on sale. Blades on the Trapper are about the same size as your typical kitchen paring knife. I call mine the road kill special. Put one in your pocket and you're always ready to butcher. Sale on these ends tonight. I prefer the chrome vanadium steel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...nd-spey-blades

Amazon dot com is usually is a good place to mail order stuff like this also.

Warther Knives. Dover Ohio. The best of the best.

Boolit Master

GabbyM thanks for that link to the $6 sharpener. It looks like a great stocking stuffer for this Christmas!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

CLASSIC Peeling knife - 4062 / 7 cm (2 ¾")

This particular shape is ideally suited for peeling, cleaning or shaping any fruit or vegetable with a rounded surface.
    Quality - Made in Solingen / Germany.

Blade length 7 cm (2 ¾")

This is a Wustof knife that is really good for peeling . It will make a great stocking stuffer and you will be surprized at how much you will use it.

gmsharps

I broke the handle on my Wusthof chef's knife after 25 plus years of use. Looking closely at the break, you could see corrosion, probably because of too many years leaving it lying on a wet draining board, so basically my fault.

I had bought this knife from a salesman doing the rounds at the restaurant I was workng at the time, so had no receipt or any proof of purchase after all this time. But I took it in to a knife shop anyway, and a couple of weeks later got a call to come in and pick up my replacement knife, no charge!

I certainly didn't expect to get it replaced for free; I would have been happy with a small discount on a new one.

So as you can imagine, I cannot say enough good things about Wusthof's guarantee.

Pay once, cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Ok I will keep track. Is that so I can get more of the same? Or to keep those sharp?
    Both, because if you are truly infected with knifeitis you will find 5-6 that are daily users and you'll want to find one that's "just right".

Example you will discover that a large bladed Chef's knife will become a favorite, then you will find that you wish for the blade to be
    a little longer or a little better balanced or hold an edge a little longer or want the handle a little farther from the cutting board.
    And you'll go to a shop that has knives and you'll be looking to see if they have one that meets your idea. It might be Bed, Bath and Beyond or a cutlery shop or a yard/estate sale. But you will eventually wind up with two or three of the same favorite knives.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    You can buy a lot of good knife sets but if you want the very best go with Cutco! I used to work there and they are second to none in quality and customer service. The up front cost is a tad high but not when you consider that they have a free lifetime service. They will repair, service, replace and sharpen for free...just like Zippo.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master

The best quality for the money that I have found is Cutco knives.
    Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and very very well made. I used to make knives, and I'm a pretty demanding customer, but I can tell you that Cutco get's the MBT stamp of approval.
    I have the big chefs knife, a carving knife, some paring knives, and a spatula. All are absolutely superb.
    The chefs knife is my very favorite. If your wife doesn't feel like sharpening them, then she can send them back to be sharpened for free.
    Personally, I have a very nice 18" steel and the Cutco's take to that like a duck takes to water. They are easy to sharpen, but hold that edge like gambler holds a bad deal of cards!

I've used most of the top brands, but Cutco is the best for the money. If you want to save a little on cost, buy a used set on ebay and send them back to be sharpened. My mom has made many a christmas gift of resharpened Cutco knives over the years since I told her about them, and she has acquired a pretty impressive collection herself.
    +1. I am very happy with my Cutco set, including killer steak knives.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast