Inline FabricationGraf & SonsADvertise hereStainLess Steel Media
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I need advice for a good kitchen knife and butcher block set for my wife.

Boolit Master

Old thread but I want to express thanks for the knowledge shared. I support my hobby by reselling yard sale/thriftshop/etc finds. Knowledge gained here has expanded my specialties from cookware to cutlery. Recently sold 4 Salvation Army finds for mucho dinero. The only downside is that my wife saw one of the knives-Henckles 5 star with label- and feels bad because I sold it. Of course that's the one that sold for the highest price.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Get her a Forschner Fibrox 10" chefs knife. Holds a decent edge when used on a proper cutting board(mine gets used daily!), the handles do not require any special treatment and can be washed and dried with no worries of a wood handle being damaged. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victor...fs-knife-p1755 or if she has smaller hands the 8" (this set is a bargain, the bread knife is super sharp and I use mine a lot!) http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victor...fe-set-p113726

Vendor Sponsor

I have Henkels and Cutco. Cutco stays sharp forever. I have the Henkel steel. It puts a very sharp edge on any knife I have used it on. I like both brands. Each has it's place in the kitchen.
    New England Custom Bullets Inc.
    13 Maywood Rd
    Newburgh, NY 12550
    845-391-7679

Email: pete@newenglandcustombullets.com

PayPal:pete@newenglandcustombullets.com

FFL

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ullet+maker+57

Boolit Master
    A sharp knife has no friends, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Update: went Bed Bath and Beyond. Got her Calphalon Katana series 18 piece cutlery set. 450 with 20% off coupon, 50 dollar gift card and free cheese board and knife set. It got great reviews and looked and felt as good as the Wustof or the German knife. Have a Chicago Cutlery set that the ex ruined putting in the dishwasher. She also kept the block. Thanks for all the help and advise. Hope I did ok.
    Just read the whole thread. SWMBO and I decided to buy ourselves some better knives 2 or 3 years ago. We went with the Calphalon Katanas as well on the advice of a friend that's a professional chef. They're well balanced and as the name implies they're folded steel. They're reasonably easy to sharp for stainless blades. I touch them up with a ceramic stick every time I use them. She doesn't. I have never resharpened them. We decided on an 8" chef's knife and a 7" Santoku and have been very happy with them. They may not be as good as CutCo, Wusthof or Henckle but they are a vast improvement over the cheap knives we had used for years. The cost was close to CutCo so I may buy one of them if we think we need another knife.

When I have game meat to carve up or any large meat like a roast that's going to become chili I still like to get an old large carbon steel chef's knife out and put a good edge on it. She doesn't like to put the effort required into taking care of carbon steel so they're seldom used. It's hard to get rid of the drawer full of little used knives even though we only use 6 or 8 that are kept on the counter. Bed Bath and Beyond had a block that has fine nylon rods instead of being all wood. We got one of them and it's gentle on the blade edges.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234