RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi Automatic pistol case cutting

Boolit Buddy

Semi Automatic pistol case cutting

Looking for a way to cut swaging jackets from pistol cases with some automation, like a Dillon case trimmer on a 550 and a shortened head or some other combination of .... Load cases into hopper, pull handle.

Any ideas out there?

I beleive you answered your own question! Use an extended shell holder, although it would not work with a case feeder. You would still save ALOT of time and energy with the 550 type of set up and a properly set up for depth of cut die body. Could also employ a RCBS trim pro auto and just adjust to trim to requiered length. Or there is the gracey trimmer as well

Boolit Buddy

What trim die would I use? Whats the closest to 40 cal?

Boolit Buddy

Found this instead of the shell holder. http://whiddengunworks.net/300blkproducts.html

Boolit Bub
    I have been think of the same thing. But with a 650. Just ordered a dillon trimmer. But I want it to work on a 9mm case, and cut it down to about .065. Also i need the case feeder to work. Hope I get the trimmer soon to see what I can come up with.

Boolit Buddy

I asked Whidden if they'd entertain making a case trim die for this purpose but the email response was:

Thank you for your business and your email. Unfortunately making custom trim dies isn't something we've set up for.

We appreciate your contacting us and look forward to hearing from you in the future!

John Whidden

So basically he said go to hell. LOL I still love his products though.

Boolit Bub
    Thought this need a bump.
    Got the dillin trimmer now. The shaft is not be long enuff.
    Been thinking of the lee pistol quick trim die. With a small router or a drill mounted to the top of it. A carbide dato bit should trim the case fine.

Boolit Buddy

Look on Whidden Gunworks site and check out the 300 Blackout toolhead. It is machined where the cutter will go which essentially brings down the shaft about 1/2 inch. After that, I don't know where to go.

Boolit Bub
    Not far enuff for pistol cases.

Boolit Bub
    harbor freight mini cut off saw seems to be the only choice right now .

Boolit Master

I bought my mini cut off saw from Amazon, a fairly good one. Proxxon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    I bought my mini cut off saw from Amazon, a fairly good one. Proxxon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    sure does for $200!!!

Boolit Bub
    Got the harbor freight mini chop.... That is how I cut them now. Also have a trim die. But both are quite slow....
    Was hoping one of the home die maker would jump in and put there two cents in.
    Just trying to come up with a better and faster way.

Someone with the skills to mod a tool, needs to look at a tube shear or a tube squarer.

Boolit Master

Vonzep, a member here, makes a jig that mounts to the harbor freight chop saw. Once set up, it secure keg holds the brass in place, allowing you to process a lot if cuts quickly and consistently. I had his blackout trim die, but recently just got his setup to do 40 S&W.

I have a lee bulge buster in the mail, as unsupported cases that have been fired, like from Glocks, have to be sized back down. Aside from this, his products work great. The bulged cases are not his fault, it's the guns that shoot them.

Good stuff, might be the answer you have been looking for.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208348-TCM22-7-62x25-7-62x40WT-blackout-conversion-jigs

I think that like should work. I'm not that good at this stuff😎
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Read his thread he is not having good luck with 9mm. He is doing some others thought.

I need find someone to make a die that could be used in a Dillon 650, that could trim the 9mm case before it is drawn. Like Dillon does for 223. I was thinking a long 9mm sizing die with a larger hole for a trimmer to fit in it. But normal size at he bottom to hold the case steady. With a plate on the top to mount a 1/4” laminate trimmer on top of the die. A set with the die and a carbide cutter with a 1/4” shaft. I can get there own router.

If only i had or ever used a lathe
    Putting the idea out there for some home die maker

Boolit Buddy

All,

I went through the same investigation when I was looking for a way to cut down 300 blackout brass. I found that the Dillon trimmer, even with a die that would work with the short case, is not designed to remove that kind of material. Apparently the bearing burn out after not too much use. When sent back to Dillon, they know what to look for and will not honor the no BS warranty.

The quickest and least handling I figured out with the tools I already had was:

1) Cut off the case with a metal cutting bandsaw blade right at the bottleneck

2) Tumble the cases with SS media...cleans them and deburs in one step

3) Size using a regular 300 AAC sizing die

4) Trim using a collet on my lathe. I think this is were the problem of trimming pistol brass will work well for you. I bought a simple emergency collet and bored it out to the right diameter for a .223 base. I then fitted it with a stop which is internal to the collet. Last, I set my compound slide to be parallel to the lathe axis and put a stop on the bed. All you need to do is chuck up a piece of brass, tight the draw collar, fire up the lathe and use the carriage advance to run the carriage to the stop. I use a cheap HSS 1/2" end mill, 4 flute. You can adjust the length by small adjustments to the compund slide.

I get tolerances to +/- .001", and it doesn't leave hardly any burr unlike other operations you might do. I can do one about every 10 seconds when I get going. Convinced it is the fastest and most reliable way to get this job done.

You could also use it to do 9mm brass, I assume you want to cut off the head to get rid of the rim. Best approach might be to use a lathe tool and turn the excess off using the cross slide. Most guys have a lathe, and if not, the little 7 x 21 jobs are an easy way to get into it. Grizzly sells one for $625, Harbor Freight has a similar model for a little less. The collet holder and draw set I bought from the Little Machine Shop. I use this set up all the time for precision trimming. Picture shows the important part.

Hope this helps.

PeteClick image for larger version. 

Name:	trim.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	92080
    Zbench

Boolit Bub
    I think a pinch trim die is quicker then all that. Can do one in the ballpark of 5 seconds. Looking for speed.
    But thanks for your input.

Boolit Buddy

I think I agree at this point. I have searched a good many venues and a pinch trim seems the way to go.