Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Those who rely only on spell check ...

Boolit Grand Master

Those who rely only on spell check ...

... are destined to become the laughing stock of the rest of us. Our son Kyle, who has his MDiv and teaches online at two Universities, posted that one of his students stated that: "In the Book of Collisions...". I guess we really have to forgive undergraduates!

Check him out on Amazon, but you have to search for "Tobias Mastgrave". I have to admit a modicum of prejudice but, as a reader, I also have to say that he writes very well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    They're reely is know excuse four miss-spellin.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Epd230 View Post
    They're reely is know excuse four miss-spellin.
    Your rite
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    But when push comes to shove I hope the neighbors close by are more mechanics and planters than linguistics. And may they all be looking up for His Glorious return.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    But when push comes to shove I hope the neighbors close by are more mechanics and planters than linguistics. And may they all be looking up for His Glorious return.
    Mike in Peru
    Kind of the way I feel, I have a hard time spelling, never had a worry about how to fish, hunt,
    or grow food. God Bless
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    "In the Book of Collisions."
    Must be a book about female drivers.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    That's funny, Book of Collisions. The thing about spell checkers is that they do not correct for context, they just check that a particular word is spelled out correctly.

So true ,Funny thing is all these kids theses day cant ever turn a screw driver either..so sad
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Kind of the way I feel, I have a hard time spelling, never had a worry about how to fish, hunt,
    or grow food. God Bless
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Grand Master

I write fairly well, but my spelling is atrocious. I rely heavily on spellcheck, but like you say, sometimes it misses it. I try to catch all the mistakes, but there are quite a few that slip through the cracks. I think your brain just has to be wired a certain way to be good at spelling, and mine never has. I just can't seem to get it, and I still miss quite a few words.
    This used to bother me, and I would go back and retype every word I missed and try to remember it, but when I get on a role, I'm just thinking about the content, and spelling goes out the window.
    Anymore, when I write (even if it's a post here) I just put my thoughts down and then go back and edit.
    So if bad spelling amuses you, you should read a few of my posts, you should find plenty to laugh at.
    I guess the reasoning behind the way things are spelled is just not compatible with the way my mind works. I wish I could change, but I'm just not ever going to be really good at spelling.
    Yes, it bothers me. No, I can't seem to do anything about it.
    I guess I'm just stupid.......aren't I.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Mike in Peru
    Well said sir , may God bless us all.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Quote Originally Posted by 4719dave View Post
    So true ,Funny thing is all these kids theses day cant ever turn a screw driver either..so sad
    ^^^^^TRUE^^^^^^^^^
    A 22 year old man (nieghbor) could'nt even jump start his tractor,,but I bet he could tex up a storm ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I write fairly well, but my spelling is atrocious. I rely heavily on spellcheck, but like you say, sometimes it misses it. I try to catch all the mistakes, but there are quite a few that slip through the cracks. I think your brain just has to be wired a certain way to be good at spelling, and mine never has. I just can't seem to get it, and I still miss quite a few words.
    This used to bother me, and I would go back and retype every word I missed and try to remember it, but when I get on a role, I'm just thinking about the content, and spelling goes out the window.
    Anymore, when I write (even if it's a post here) I just put my thoughts down and then go back and edit.
    So if bad spelling amuses you, you should read a few of my posts, you should find plenty to laugh at.
    I guess the reasoning behind the way things are spelled is just not compatible with the way my mind works. I wish I could change, but I'm just not ever going to be really good at spelling.
    Yes, it bothers me. No, I can't seem to do anything about it.
    I guess I'm just stupid.......aren't I.
    Tim, I came to the conclusion in graduate school that spelling is genetic, either you have it or you don't. I don't! That may be a convenient excuse or the truth, I don't know. At least my vocabulary is still large enough that I recognize a word out of context and do not trust autocorrect. Since these mistakes all come from college students I fault the secondary education system and the failed attempt to teach by encouragement rather than distinguishing right from wrong.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Must be a book about female drivers.
    Dadgumit! Screen cleaner!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia