RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 38-55 .400 neck/chamber reamer

Boolit Master

38-55 .400 neck/chamber reamer

Im looking at renting something like this http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...1&tname=rental
    I'm sure folks on here have used it or maybe another like it. I emailed them for some dimension's but got nothing back. It does not say if and what size pilot is used/supplied and if it would reach the full depth for the 2.125 length brass. can someone help with this? Thanks

Vendor Sponsor

I have the same concerns and questions as you do. I have an upcoming 38-55 barrel project too. The 38-55 and the other old BP chambers are tricky to match with new barrel diameters and new case lengths and a few other odd items so I understand what you are thinking.
    The rental company does not provide any guidance.
    I tried twice to call the number they provide to get some answers. As listed on their website - which says "voice or fax" and no one answers....just the fax tone. They are out for me! I need some assurance before I screw up a project this costly. A large investment in time and $$.

I contacted an other rental company called Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals found at reamer rentals dot com
    They had a dave kiff reamer and print for the 38-55 which might work just great but I did have a few questions before rental. I wondered if they might have more than one reamer? The guy that answered the phone ....in a word had no clue. I gave him a brief overview of the history of the chambering like old .380 barrels v new .375 barrels and old 2.130" cases v 2.085". I explained I just did not want to have any problems and I want to understand what their reamer was set up for. I worked with him for a while but he could not read the print, he made bad assumptions to answer my questions and he really did not understand why there could be a problem.

I might be able to save a little money, $50 or so by renting a reamer, however it will be worth it on this odd chambering to get ALL the specs correct by ordering it from a reamer maker.

Good luck, Michael Rix
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 12-02-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Chill Wills

Call 4-D at 406-752-2520
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Mike said he called twice and got nothing.

Vendor Sponsor

I just ordered one from Manson. It is six months out but I will have the chamber to match my needs.
    Michael
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

When ever it gets here let us know. Thanks.

I recently rented the .38-55 .400 case mouth reamer from 4-d rentals. I can't tell you the diameter of the pilot but it does cut the chamber deep enough to chamber a 2.125 long case. One thing to be aware of is the reamer shank is not long enough to let you ream the chamber without either using an extension or removing the barrel from the action. I was not about to remove the barrel and 4-d does not have an extension available so I ended up making one. If anyone needs the extension I will send it as a PIF since I am unlikely to need it again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelshooter View Post
    I recently rented the .38-55 .400 case mouth reamer from 4-d rentals. I can't tell you the diameter of the pilot but it does cut the chamber deep enough to chamber a 2.125 long case. One thing to be aware of is the reamer shank is not long enough to let you ream the chamber without either using an extension or removing the barrel from the action. I was not about to remove the barrel and 4-d does not have an extension available so I ended up making one. If anyone needs the extension I will send it as a PIF since I am unlikely to need it again.
    +1, but I did not need the extention since It was on 3 handi rifles, they all shoot the long cases with .380 bullets fine now.

Boolit Master

Did it seem to stay true to the bore and do a good job?

Yes. It did a very good job and I can now chamber a cartridge with a .382 boolit.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    So I'm bringing this back up for possible use on my 36-88 Handi rifle. I'm told the .400 neck reamer is the trick since the chamber has no throat. Why dont rent a throater over the .400? Wouldnt that let brass fit better and create a throat for better accuracy especially on a single shot?

Boolit Master
    Check your brass neck thickness. In addition to Starlines having the proper length case (2.120), they thinned the necks so that we can use proper groove size plus bullets in guns with too tight a neck. They do the thin neck also for their shorter, new Winchester length, cases also. Original and latest Winchester cases have the old/thicker necks.
    I had a Ruger #1 which needed .381 dia bullets and an 1894 Win SRC which needed .380 dia. Neither would chamber until I tried the original 2.120 length cases from Starline. The thin necks let me chamber the oversize bullets which helped the accuracy in both guns immensley.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!