Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 point vs subsonic cast lead powder coated hollow point

Boolit Buddy

9 point vs subsonic cast lead powder coated hollow point

I have been trying to get this buck all season after I missed him with my bow. The Land I hunt will be completely clear cut by next week so this may be my last chance to harvest a deer on it. Well this evening was the time. got in the blind late but he came in right at dark. With just enough light to see him I put a round right thru him. he was quartering toward me and the bullet enter just behind the shoulder and exited at the last rib on the other side.

Let me also state that there is nothing like hearing the bullet impact the deer. Thank you Governor McCrory and General Assembly. He bucked a little and took off but hit the ground in less than 30 yds. with a blood trail that a blind man could follow.

300 blk
    247gr Cast from wheel weights
    Powder coated Harbor Freight black
    hollow pointed 1/8 inch diameter 3/4 inch deep
    5.56 Blank converted to 300 blk
    4.9gr RED DOT powder
    980 fps

Remington AAC model 7
    Form 1 titanium suppressor.

My testing of this round indicated that the hollow point would expand and break off from the base of the bullet which would then cause the remainder of the bullet to tumble. My results on this deer seemed to mimic what I found in testing

entrance

Exit

Lung I did not get as good of a picture of this as I would like but just to the right of my thumb is where it impacted

Liver. I cannot be sure if this damage was because of the base or the tip breaking off, but my was it severe.

After having a bit of a rough hunting season. I am happy with my results
    Last edited by gds; 11-22-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Congrats and thanks for the documentation! Nothing like closing the deal, especially when you've had previous contact.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    50 yds. i have never shot a deer past that. Simply because that has been the distance when they either give me a clear shot or just simply the area i hunt does not allow for any shots longer in distance.

Boolit Master
    Nice, another P/C cast boolit kill! Looks fine for 50 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a teanlant to SoCal from Michigan. Sure do miss hunting and fishing ....... Grats!

Boolit Master
    Looks good! Grats

Congratulations, thanks for the pictures and explaining the event.
    NAHC Life Member, WV Citizens Defense Lague, NRA. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gds View Post
    50 yds. i have never shot a deer past that. Simply because that has been the distance when they either give me a clear shot or just simply the area i hunt does not allow for any shots longer in distance.
    Congrats on a great buck. Would love to hear more about that homemade can. I'm waiting on my form 1's to come back so I can build a couple.

I will let you in on a secret. I live and hunt in Wyoming, and it's as wide open as it gets when it comes to hunting. 90 percent of stuff here gets shot at 150 yards or less. The jerks shooting stuff at 6 and 7 hundred yards are just showing off fancy toys and stoking their own egos. Also, after having grown up in gunshops and listening to the BS stories, I automatically subtract 40% from any yardage figure a long range "hunter" gives in his story. Aint much on this planet you can't get within 400 yards of, even wearing bright orange.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Considering FPS loss; What do you think the effective range of this cartridge is for deer hunting?
    That is kind of subjective. I have tested these down to 800 fps and gotten almost the same results. by most ballistic tables that give you over 400 yds before the velocity drops below that. the problem of course becomes bullet drop. Because at that same distance the drop is over 270 inches. Me personally would not try past 100 to 150 yds

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Congrats on a great buck. Would love to hear more about that homemade can. I'm waiting on my form 1's to come back so I can build a couple.

I will let you in on a secret. I live and hunt in Wyoming, and it's as wide open as it gets when it comes to hunting. 90 percent of stuff here gets shot at 150 yards or less. The jerks shooting stuff at 6 and 7 hundred yards are just showing off fancy toys and stoking their own egos. Also, after having grown up in gunshops and listening to the BS stories, I automatically subtract 40% from any yardage figure a long range "hunter" gives in his story. Aint much on this planet you can't get within 400 yards of, even wearing bright orange.
    Nothing special. i had the help of a good machinist friend who was patient with me. has a 3 1/2 to 4 inch blast chamber and a 6 inch baffle stack of simple K baffles made from brass. the tube and end caps as well as the initial blast baffle are Titanium.

I am the same way when guys make claims of long shots. I have asked guys to give me range estimation on distances that I knew the range and they have almost always over estimated the distance by a long shot.

Boolit Master
    Congrats and thanks for the pics.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    It is wonderful to get these pictures. There is so much I can learn here and there is so much B.S. about energy necessary to take down game. Great buck - Great control and a great hunt. And horns make the skinning more fun.

Congratulations! Good to know! Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys. this is number 10 i have Harvested with subsonic 300 blk. Speeds ranged from 850 to 1000 fps. non expanding and expanding. This bullet has become my new favorite.

the fact is you simply do not have to have a 300 super duper magnum going Mach 4, lighting your hair on fire, dislocating your shoulder, being heard 2 counties over, turning a 1/4 of the deer into a fine red mist, just to shoot a deer at 50 yds.

Boolit Master
    By golly,

I think the Gubmint is on to something: Lead is DANGEROUS!!!

Judging from all the critters that have fallen on hard times when crossing the path of the silver stream!!!

To the OP:

Congrats on another "lead" kill!!

Way to go!!!

Three 44s

Banned
    SA-WEET....not sure that's what they meant by "canned" venison though.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The shooting world is rediscovering what the archery world started to forget about back in the '80's. A heavy projectile at moderate speed will outperform a superlight projectile at high velocity time after time, across most any situation.

Thankfully, lead casters have kept the knowledge alive through the Dark Age of Jacketed,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    SA-WEET....not sure that's what they meant by "canned" venison though.
    LOL no probably not. But it sure makes it fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    By golly,

I think the Gubmint is on to something: Lead is DANGEROUS!!!

Judging from all the critters that have fallen on hard times when crossing the path of the silver stream!!!

To the OP:

Congrats on another "lead" kill!!

Way to go!!!

Three 44s
    Lol

Yeah it is for the "fauns"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    The shooting world is rediscovering what the archery world started to forget about back in the '80's. A heavy projectile at moderate speed will outperform a superlight projectile at high velocity time after time, across most any situation.

Thankfully, lead casters have kept the knowledge alive through the Dark Age of Jacketed,,,,,
    It took me a lot of searching before I could find info on sub hunting. Every time the question was asked. the responses were all, "can't be done""unethical""stupid" and such things. but when I inquired as to why, i was never given an answer that satisfied me. So I began my own "scientific" research. thankfully there was some 300 whisper guys who had posted some stuff. After my research, I just could not see why it could not be done. So I did it. And it has worked very well. I did lose one using a 300 blk, but sad to say it was my own fault. While i was not using this boolit. if I would have put the shot in the right place I would have recovered her.

I have still been called unethical for hunting with non expanding subs. but it has worked when I did my part like any other hunter cartridge combo. I took 2 last year with the NOE boolit, not modified, and while it did take them down i was not completely happy with the impact in the deer. Now I will state again that this boolit is my go to for subsonic hunting period. And a whole lot cheaper than those expensive low velocity expeanding jacketed or brass bullets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast