Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Is the MP 45-270SAA the same as the old Lyman 454424?

Is the MP 45-270SAA the same as the old Lyman 454424?

As the subject says, is the MP 45-270SAA the same as the old Lyman 454424? I think I only need this in solid, but having the HP pins I don't need can't be a bad thing if it's otherwise the same mold.

Thanks!

Boolit Mold
    I believe the MP you're referring to is a clone of the RCBS - 270SAA mold. Depending on your alloy, in solid form it will be anywhere from 275 to 285 grain. I'm sure someone with that mold will chime in here shortly to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bisley5 View Post
    I believe the MP you're referring to is a clone of the RCBS - 270SAA mold. Depending on your alloy, in solid form it will be anywhere from 275 to 285 grain. I'm sure someone with that mold will chime in here shortly to clarify.
    I do believe you are correct. It seems that Miha doesn't have a 454424.

I Have the RCBS version solid poured using #2 Lyman I get really nice 45C boolits weighing 274gr and most all boolits are within 2 tenths in weight. On my 30yrd range and from a rest, I get 1.5-3.0 groupings at 980fps from my well tuned Ruger BH 7.5 barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    As the subject says, is the MP 45-270SAA the same as the old Lyman 454424? I think I only need this in solid, but having the HP pins I don't need can't be a bad thing if it's otherwise the same mold.

Thanks!
    I have both the molds your asking about. I took a picture of each bullet side x side but I can’t post the picture. If you’d like to see the comparison PM me your cell or email and I’ll send it to you. They really aren’t the same, I cast and shoot both frequently, they are my favorites for 45 colt.

I ordered the MP 45-270SAA last night, and by 2:06 a.m. I had a shipping alert from FedEx. If Thanksgiving doesn't mess up the schedule too much, I might be casting with it by Saturday.
    Last edited by TXTad; 11-20-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Master

I ordered the MP 45-270SAA last night, and by 2:06 a.m. I had a shipping alert from FedEx. If Thanksgiving doesn't mess up the schedule too much, I might be casting with it by Saturday.

NOT at all surprised!!

I ordered my last one on a Friday afternoon. I received it on my door step MONDAY EVENING!!!

I agree the mold copies the RCBS of same name. (GREAT BULLET)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Even with FedEx saying there was an "operational delay" in Paris at Charles de Gaulle, the MP 45-270SAA mold arrived this morning, about 62 hours after I ordered it.

Boolit Master

Even with FedEx saying there was an "operational delay" in Paris at Charles de Gaulle, the MP 45-270SAA mold arrived this morning, about 62 hours after I ordered it.

Amazing service!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I had an MP clone of the Lyman 358439 (HP version of 358429). I also had the Lyman version of this mold. I took one boolit cast from the MP mold and stuffed it into the Lyman mold - perfect, snug fit. There was definitely some luck involved and I’d be surprised if a boolit from a second Lyman mold would fit tightly into the first Lyman mold… but it suggests that MP does an excellent job with their clones.

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I had an MP clone of the Lyman 358439 (HP version of 358429). I also had the Lyman version of this mold. I took one boolit cast from the MP mold and stuffed it into the Lyman mold - perfect, snug fit. There was definitely some luck involved and I’d be surprised if a boolit from a second Lyman mold would fit tightly into the first Lyman mold… but it suggests that MP does an excellent job with their clones.
    That is impressive. I've been wondering how close some of these are.