MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 722

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    There are more than a few 721/722s out there where the owners quite piddling with fighting the extractor problem or couldn't find an extractor and replaced the 721/722 bolt with a 700 bolt (700 extractors are common and easily replaced).
    The 700 short action bolt will work in a 722? A simple swap or is there more involved?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

In Remembrance

The odd thing about my 722 case ejecting problem is this only happens with empty cases. Loaded rounds being cycled thru the action are ejected smartly and clear the action as would be expected. I also would like to know more about using a 700 short action bolt and what modifying work would be expected to be done.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    The 700 short action bolt will work in a 722? A simple swap or is there more involved?
    No more or less difficult than swapping out any bolt. May or may not require a little fitting of the cocking/striker/pin release notches on the bolt for best fit and engagement to the trigger link lug. The headspace will have to be checked of course- no different than for any bolt change. The most visible but easiest to deal with would be the bolt handle angle is a little different on the 700 (slight sweep to the rear) than the 722/1 (fairly straight). So may have to relieve the handle cutout in the stock for the 700.

Nobade has more experience than anyone I know with Rem 700s. You might PM him directly for the details of any or all possible glitches that could be encountered.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 722, and wish I had a few more. Mine's kind of an oddball, though. Belonged to a friend's grandfather. At one time it was a .222 but he had it rebarreled to .17 Rem. No idea of the barrel maker-it is just stamped .17 cal on the bottom of the barrel. The rifle fits me good, feels good, and the darn thing shoots bugholes. Someday I'll find one for a decent price when I have a couple extra dollars in my pocket.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Same as almost all of the above folks - My only problem with the 722 is "I need MORE." My first CF rifle was a 722 & I had VERY good experiences with it; Sporter weight barrel, carried that around in the woods for quite a few miles.

I recently bought one in 300 Savage.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	207153
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534 (3).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	207154
    Came with the Weaver K4 for $225 out the door.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I recently bought one in 300 Savage.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	207153
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534 (3).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	207154
    Came with the Weaver K4 for $225 out the door.
    I hope you lose sleep at night feeling guilty about stealing that rifle! Just kidding of course, but I am envious. That was a smoking deal.

Banned
    The extraction problem is not an extraction problem, it is an ejection problem. 10 to 1 the ejection plunger is stuck or full of crud in the bolt. Soak the whole bolt in acetone for a few days, blow it out and make sure the plunger can be pushed in easily and pops back out.

Charles1990, if someone else doesn't grab that I may have to grab it after you return; My budget this month sucks, but that's because I'm getting back to where I can reload & have the components to do so. I need a larger components budget but the LGS won't take a used kidney as payment or collateral!

It prolly is time for everyone to strip and clean their 722, good rifles I'd love one in 308 some day.

I love their accuracy and feel. I bought a used 721 in 30-06 that lived on a dashboard- one side of the stock was faded from the Texas sun to half as dark as the other side. I gave $150 dollars for it and kick my own butt every time I remember selling it to a Colorado ranch hand for $200.
    I have a long neck so I like the drop in the stock. I would love to have a .222, a .244, and a .300 H&H. Great rifles.

Banned
    Sheesh, hope you are patient as I'll be in FL until June of 2018 !

charles1990 - So long as I"m still breathing! I'm pretty patient, "To the point of silliness" really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12