WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: dry tumble powder coating?

Boolit Bub
    rock springs, wyoming summer, Littlefield, Az. winter
    http://youtu.be/PqxWheIfpOM , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfI...ature=youtu.be

These are NOT real good quality videos, but this system works well for what I'm doing.

Good video. Where did you find the deep frier piece? I'm having a hard time finding a mesh larger than the bb's but smaller than 9mm.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have always seen those at Goodwill, Salvation Army and other junk stores. They are for deep fat fryers.

I think it's been said already, but I cannot find it. Does only the black bb's work or can other colors work?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have seen others use white and green BB's with good results also, so I guess all work to some degree. I only have experience with Black.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    When the BB thing came up over a year ago, I tried all weights and colors, as I shoot numerous AirSoft guns and had many many weights/types on hand.

I found, for my coolwhip and ZipLok screw-on containers, the black ones work the best.. They are a different alloy of plastic because they are harder and seem to create more static.

Again, BBDT is a voodoo black magic process that works well for some and not others. Your results will vary due to containers, BB's, powder, humidity, swirling/shaking technique, time and pick-up and lay-out method. Lots of variables in your path to achieving perfect coated boolits.

Many use it with success. I use both BBDT and ESPC guns. It just depends on what your expectations and end quality need to be.

banger

Boolit Bub
    rock springs, wyoming summer, Littlefield, Az. winter
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Good video. Where did you find the deep frier piece? I'm having a hard time finding a mesh larger than the bb's but smaller than 9mm.
    As what BangerJim said check goodwill , salvation army, or second hand stores, I bought the whole Deep fat fryer for 5 bucks, but just wanted the basket. You can also use some grill covers that are at walmart in the BBQ section that is used to grill veggies or fish, there are 3-5 in a pack for just a few bucks they have diamond shaped holes in them.
    Last edited by mwc; 12-14-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling

when i did the oil change in my truck i did the air filter. i got to looking at the old air filter. had mesh on it. so i removed it and made my basket that way

Static buildup for Harbor Freight Matte Black

Here's a couple of questions for all of you PC'ers.......Has anyone figured out why you can't DT (Dry Tumble) the Harbor Freight Matte Black yet? Could it be, your not getting a big enough static charge for the powder to stick. You get it with a paint gun? So how much static is built up with a gun vs tumbling with air soft bb's? Or is it because with all the other Harbor Paint colors they are glossy? and not flat in color?

Boolit Grand Master
    The guns provide 12-18K or more of continuous EMF. Your little temporary charge of

~5-6K (estimate) of static in that plastic bowl is not nearly enough to overcome the anti-static properties inherent in the flattening agent in the powder.

Gloss does not have it and works with BBDT. If you want Ninja Flatt Black, you need to invest a few $$ in an ESPC gun. They are not that expensive.

If you want to know exactly what it is, download the MSDS forms from HF and compare the matte to the gloss and see what is different.

bamger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by russs View Post
    I use the thin vinyl disposable gloves to pick up the bullets and put them on parchment paper. Just pinch a little powder to start and it doesn't remove any PC from the bullets. The parchment paper is good for about a half dozen bakes and then I just turn it over for another half dozen bakes. Cheaper than Non stick foil.
    If you have non stick foil don't be afraid to use it though, because it never really seems to wear out. Ive been using the same sheet of it for dry tumble bullets for over a year now. Probably two dozen bakes on that sheet. Nothing sticking to it yet. Bullets look good. I lay the bullets down on the sheet, don't even stand them up.

I wrapped the wire oven rack with it and it makes nice little troughs that the long rifle bullets lay in to keep separated from each other. I can do about 100 bullets at a time without them touching in my little toaster oven.

I have been doing fine all this timewith tumbling in #5 plastic. Have an old Lyman tumbler I'm not using going to try that and see if black works before getting the es gun

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415