RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son debating getting 06 Ackley Improved

My son debating getting 06 Ackley Improved

My son, who owns a Remington 700 30-06 of interdeminate age, is thinking of having it reamed into an Ackley Improved configuration. The situation I believe is, his buddy as well as himself get an improved price on this if they do it as a package deal A very well known gunsmith with a good reputation in the area. I don't know the price of the package.
    My son was wanting to know what I knew about the AI process and results. All I could recall was that it was all the rage many years ago for increased velocity. As to other advantages I am not aware. What do you guys know and what are your opinions, my son by the way is a reloader .
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master
    I've had many and still have a few 06s of various flavors since the late 1960s. I've had one 30-06 AI. The AI conversions are very simple and straight forward but do carry a very slight risk of mismatched reamer specs even though the headspace lengths are the same.

I found it did not gain much in velocity. I know youth and the current crowd (via marketing hype) are drawn to mo velocity and mo power. I have to step back once in a while and take stock of the fact that the basic 30-06 really has all the velocity potential anyone usually needs in the common bullet weights of 150 through 180 gr- this is especially true given the greater choice of powders available today. The other question I have to ask is if a 30 cal needs to be pushed faster, the logical way to do it is via something like a 300 Mag.

So bottom line: The 30-06 AI different from a plain Jane ole 30-06, it doesn't gain much velocity and it's a little more trouble by having to fire form brass. The ONLY upside for most of the AI conversions is that brass may last a little longer and for calibers larger than about 338, the AI provides noticeably more positive head pace control.

Boolit Buddy

I see it being worthwhile in a tapered case like the Hornet or 22-250. Seems like more of a fix in search of a problem in the 06.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

fouronesix + 1

Yeah! What he said.

If you want to play around with dies, loads, and making cases, You can have a little fun.

If you are a hunter, you would be better off spending the money on one more hunting trip.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger 77 in 3006 AI. You will burn more powder for same velocities in some 180s diffinately weights under 180.
    Brass will last a long time when properly sized, but so will standard brass.
    180's and up with the right choice of powders and it will shine.
    Is it worth it? Not in my opinion.
    Dunno what he is after. Unless the rechamber is dirt cheap and the gun has issues I would trade it off on another caliber. 300 win mag it can be loaded up or down and will still shoot cast reasonably well.
    I didn't have this one built. I did know the guy that did the work. The fellow I got it from had only shot factory ammo in it. Figure that one out! Had dies and bullets to go with it in the deal.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    I would not do it to my only 06, but if I had two I might try it in the one I liked the least.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't do that to my 06. If I wanted to play around, I may consider rebarreling it to 338-06, but even that is not gonna happen soon.

Perma-Banned

had one, liked it.
    had no trouble getting 180 partitions over 2900 fps, elk killer deluxe.
    but then it still wasnt a 300 and i eventually rechambered it again into a 300 win.
    would i do it again? nope, instead i would just find a load for the 06 with a 150 ttsx and never look back.
    that combo will do anything a 300 and a 180 partition will do

Boolit Grand Master
    The only way I would do an AI anything, is if I were going to keep the rifle forever. Any more or less standard rifle that is not a standard caliber will bring less money when it comes time to sell it, even if the custom dies go with it.

A full blown custom rifle is another story, you know going in that you will lose money when you sell it, so you might as well get it chambered for the cartridge of your dreams.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't turn a run of the mill Remington 700 into an AI.

Robert

My opinion about this type of thing is that, First; you have to really be able to convince me that you'll notice and actually be able to use the few more FPS the conversion will deliver.

Second you'd have to convince me that any animal shot with it will now the difference.

And Third: it is never going to be a 300Win Mag.

My vote is NO! Everything on earth has been killed with a .30-06, and personally I don't even see a real need for a .300 Win Mag. I see a guy who can shoot a .30-06 well being much further ahead than a guy who can't really shoot a hotrod very well.

The .30-06 is arguably the most versatile cartridge ever developed, I see no reason to change that.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Unless you need to clean up an eroded throat, I wouldn't bother and if that was my problem, I'd probably just go straight to a 300WM rechamber. You'd have to open up the bolt face, but ammo is everywhere and dies are cheap for the 300WM and it will run rings around the AI any day.

The only real thing the AI will give you is bragging rights, haha!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

I agree. If you want more power then a 06 sell the 06 while its still worth something and buy a 300 win mag. Your not going to get enough of a power increase to make a real world differnce in the field with a AI and good luck selling it if you tire of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The only way I would do an AI anything, is if I were going to keep the rifle forever. Any more or less standard rifle that is not a standard caliber will bring less money when it comes time to sell it, even if the custom dies go with it.

A full blown custom rifle is another story, you know going in that you will lose money when you sell it, so you might as well get it chambered for the cartridge of your dreams.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't turn a run of the mill Remington 700 into an AI.

Robert

Not to mention what a set of reloading dies costs, and the rifle likely won't feed very well from the magazine when it is converted.

-Nobade

Having been young once, I understand the young man's interest in more "thump" from his rifle. Having used and still owning a number of -06s, if I wanted more thump the -06 would get reamed to .35 Wheelan. The .30-06, in stock trim, will do any thing that needs doing with a caliber .30 rifle.

Boolit Master

Why mess up a good gun,the standard 06 has and will kill anything that walks on four legs.Spend the money on practice,boolit placement.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Sure will, I wouldn't sell a 3006 just to buy a 300WM, but they are both good things.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    a friend did it and gained very little. I like the improved on some but 30-06 is not one of them for me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I had a friend like that back in Texas. He had an '06 rechambered to .30 Gibbs - an 'improved' AI (sort of), then bought the dies and fireformed brass. The throat eroded very quickly (within a few hundred rounds), and he ended up having to rebarrel the rifle. The most telling point was that he didn't have it chambered for .30 Gibbs this time around.

In other words, why? Expensive dies, very little improvement in velocity, more rapid throat wear, and limited resale value. Sounds like a losing proposition all the way around to me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Thanks for all the good information, fellas. I am going to suggest to him that he keep the rifle as is and save his money for a bigger thumper if he feels the need. He does say the 06 is very accurate and satisfactory as is, but think he is getting some propaganda about some amazing increases in velocity, but apparently not so,lol.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Perma-Banned

he can get 2900 like i said with a 180 in a 24" barrel but that is all he will get, , brass will last about 3 firings at that pressure and then the primer pockets will start getting loose.
    its like a high maintenance girlfriend,, fun for a fling and then you want to move on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast