RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: In need of mirliton recipes

Boolit Grand Master

In need of mirliton recipes

I took a look at the vine growing on our new fence, it's going to be a bumper crop. This is my first time to get a vine to grow, it must cover 25 feet of the fence and at least 8 are ready to be picked right now. I have one recipe for mirliton, shrimp and ham casserole but that is it. You boy's got some other tasty ways to fix them? If so lets see them....It's Mirliton Time in South Louisiana.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Wow, I hate to say this but I don't really know what mirliton is. Can you explain please?

Boolit Grand Master

It's a green vegatable, grows on a vine, is known in other areas as " vegtable pear" or "chayote Squash". It must be in the squash family, they get about the size of your open hand and have one large seed inside. I will post photo's as soon as I can find the lost battery charger for the camera..dead battery=no photo's. They used to grow on every backyard fence in New Orleans, these were heirloom varities that came back every year. You can buy them in stores but those are from places like Peru and won't grow here ( I tried). Katrina's salt laden flood waters killed all the ones in New Orleans and a program was established to try and grow the heirloom varieties and bring them back to N.O. for re-establishment. This is the first year I have gotten a vine to grow. I have had about 5 failures.

Boolit Buddy
    Try the food channel, I remember Emeril using them

Boolit Master

http://www.mirlitons.org/

they probably have a facebook page too.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Beerd, went to site, had recipe section that was " under construction" will check back later, they did have three recipes in the FAQ section...downloaded all three. Good site. Going to search the web and see what else I can find...If anybody is interested I will post them. Mirlitons don't seem to be popular outside south La.

Gary

Boolit Grand Master

I remember Justin Wilson used them in some of his dishes, but being we don't have them here, I didn't pay attention. Some of his shows are available, and you might find recipes there. At least it's great fun to watch.

Boolit Master
    Thanks gwpercle great explananion, I appreciate it.

Moderator Emeritus

Peel your Chayote or two and cut into pieces. Mix with some onion, I use about one egg size per squash [5-7" diameter]. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes. I could eat that once a week.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I use them peeled and sliced in green salads. Used cooked like you would any other squash.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the recipes now I have more than one. I didn't think about Justin Wilson...I have two or three of his cookbooks and am going to pull them out and get those recipes. I discovered that boiled, cut and seasoned with butter, salt and bepper they taste better than yellow squash. They have a mild sweet cabbage like flavor. I like cabbage so this is a real easy way to fix them. Small tender ones can be eaten peeling, seed and all. The immature seed is soft and cooks through so it eats like a piece of flesh. Interesting vegatable..but it only grows in the South, I guess that's why it is not heard of North of La.

Moderator Emeritus

When we go south to Utah or Nevada you see a lot of them in the Mexican markets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Our favorite way to eat them is steamed until tender then butter, salt and pepper to taste. Love those things.

David