Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cost of doing business or just a rip-off

Boolit Buddy

Cost of doing business or just a rip-off

I had a guy who was going to buy a handgun from me. I need to send it by FFL to FFL. He says his FFL charges $50 for a transfer. To me, that is nothing but a rip-off. Don't know why he is even dealing with this character.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Agreed
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

I know one guy that will transfer for free, but most here are $20-25. Class 3 transfers are $50.

Boolit Buddy
    A local shop, largest privately owned gun store in the country, charges $50... They do that because they don't want to be in the business of transfers and to keep people from buying from Buds and other online only retailers. Makes it cheaper to buy there in the store. I understand it... but just means I don't go to them for transfers Free enterprise... they can charge whatever they want.

ADMIN

$20 to $25 is the norm for for places.
    I wish I could find a Class 3 guy near me that did $50 transfers. The guy I uses is a FFL 07 with SOT and he charges $100 cause he wants people to buy the stuff he makes..

Boolit Master

Your right. It is a persons option to vote with their wallet. A high transfer does price out online sales and subsequent transfers

Boolit Master

My FFL charges 50.00 and the state adds on their own 25, so 75.oo total. And he is cheaper than the larger shops.

Boolit Buddy
    With every private firearms sale down under having to go through a dealer we face the same issue. Prices range from free to over $100 for the transfer plus any freight costs.
    Standard procedure is for the buyer to wear the cost unless otherwise agreed.
    Quite often the seller will cover freight costs to sweeten the deal with the buyer handling the dealer costs at their end, Fairest way as the buyer nominates the dealer their end so has some control over what it will cost.

Boolit Buddy

Beats me. I do several a month and I charge a flat $10.00 for rifle, shotgun or handgun. Covers the time it takes to email an FFL and have the customer fill out the forms. I get a lot of repeats customers that actually bring me work. My 2 cents.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

My gun shop doesn't charge me but I have been doing business with them for 20+ yrs. I believe they do charge most everyone else $20-$25. It's worth it since they have to receive the firearm, do the paperwork and just put up with having to do it.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy

They do have to take time to receive, check serial numbers, and fill out paperwork for the firearm before they even need to take the time to babysit you through the 4473 form, sit on hold for the FBI check, or pack it all back up, fill out more paperwork, and ship it back if you reject the firearm. Depending on the hassle I think $25 - $50 is reasonable for the time invested, they need to make a profit. If it is too high then you can negotiate with them or go elsewhere.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't mind spending $50 for a transfer if it will help keep my local shop in business. If I am not going to buy a gun from him at least he will get something.

Banned

I'd rather do transfers all day long than a sale. It takes me from 3 to 6 hrs to research for a customer. A transfer, they purchase, it shows up $30.00 later and the required triggerlock they leave happy.

Boolit Buddy
    20 to 25 is fair. I do not know why anyone would do business with a dealer that requires a firearm to come from a dealer. The guy I use charges me 20- to transfer as many guns at one time as I have shipped. He will receive from anyone with a photocopy of their drivers lic.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

I use to charge $25 then raised it to $50 because it was not worth it for reasons stated above...not to mention the liability involved in selling firearms. Actually $50 isn't worth it..to me. When people ask, I tell them my price and if they don't start cussing me, I refer them to another shop in town.

Boolit Master
    Just vote with your feet. I have seen many gunshops that thought they could sell anything at the highest prices go bankrupt. They are too dumb to know people are sensitive about the cost of luxury goods associated with a hobby that is basically recycling. The whole point is to shoot more with less money. The retail retards never get the message even when selling the last of their inventory at a going out of business sale.
    EDG

Boolit Master

50 rifles to 75 pistols here is UBER Liberal dumb *** western WA
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Three local GS's nearby where I live when in ILLinois will do this "service" for FREE.
    All buisnesses can write off fees and lecenses. Sure the shop has to do a little paper work. I was an FFL. I did it for free. I would look somewhere else. I would also let the shop know there are other places you will be buying firearms,ammo and whatever.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

The price range in LGS's is $25-75. Needless to say, I'll patronize the least expensive place, and give them most of my other business.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    My FFL charges 50.00 and the state adds on their own 25, so 75.oo total. And he is cheaper than the larger shops.
    Thats a good price for this area!