Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Accuracy (2 moa or less) with Coated Rifle Bullets at 1800 fps or greater.

I've only got soft near pure lead right now.. should I work on getting some stuff to make it harder? This is one of the things I've yet to really get a good clear answere on. Some places I saw mention of using pure lead and other say harder wheelweights and so on and on to 100+ pages.. lol

Boolit Bub
    Popper - I noticed the same trend. I plan on testing again in the morning if time allows. Definitely by Saturday. I will post some more feedback after.

Boolit Master
    Don is right. If you're new to casting you need to learn about casting first. Powder coating is not a panacea, it is an accessory still going through beta testing.

Boolit Bub
    I would agree with that distribution being shooter related except that with the SGKs I shot did not have that issue during the same shooting session. I have more results to post from today. I will try to get them up tonight.

Boolit Bub

Real Accuracy (2 moa or less) with Coated Rifle Bullets at 1800 fps or greater.

So I finally got around to more accuracy testing today. I shot 5-5shot groups. Each group was 175gr lead PC gas checked cast from straight WW. They were loaded over 37gr of 4895. Average velocity is 2108fps. My five groups averaged 1.604 MOA. Not real good. I think a better shooter might have better results. My last group improved to 1.18MOA. Still far from stellar results. Targets are posted below. Squares are 0.50".

Boolit Master

Mbedwell1971 thank you for posting your results. They are encouraging. I presume you are still shooting at 50 yards?
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Bub
    I guess that is important info! These are at 100yds!

Boolit Master

Great groups! Keep up your posting. It has been too cold for me to shoot.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Bub
    I am casting with wheel weights only. These were coated with a gloss blue powder for TC Coatings applied with the HF ES gun baked for 15 minutes at 400 then water dropped. I am using Lyman Cu gas checks.

I did shoot one 5 shot group with 38gr of 4895 and it was terrible at 50yds. Might try pushing them a little faster with some Varget.

Boolit Bub
    What led you to that long of a bake time? I am shooting a Rem 700 with a 1:10 twist 20" barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

I have found that a harder alloy of around 17 bhn at least is needed in a 30 cal. and lino in a 22 cal up to around 2,500 fps. Going up to 3,600+ fps in the 22 cal requires heat treated lino and a modified bake schedule with the Hi-Tek coating to maintain most of the bhn.
    I coat with Red Copper with the Extreme catalyst, bake and when the oven temp gets up to 400 degrees I turn the temp down to about 300 and let the 10 minutes finish, then repeat for the second coat. I am able to maintain 32 bhn from an original bhn of 35.

Awhile back I had some zinc contaminated lead that the bhn was around 30 and it shot very well in my 30 calibers. Just a real pain to cast with.

Boolit Buddy
    Hiteked some 22 boolits today with red/copper plan is to run them in a 222 at 22mag velocities.
    Hopefully I can manage 2moa.
    Rifle has bit of pitting and won't quite shoot moa with J-word shoots the odd 3/4 group but just as often 1 1/4 - 1 1/2.
    Should get some testing done in the next month so I guess I will see.

Mihec 62 gr NATO with alum gc, hf red dry tumble 1 coat, coww water drop from mold and wd after cooking. This load works good with my dpms ar. Since I started wd after cooking and age harden, my bhn is up to 20, which has helped accuracy. I have only been loading rifle for a couple of years and have achieved 2 moa with 223, 30-06, and 300 blk. A good experienced reloader and shooter would do better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223 and 308 009.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	96669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223 and 308 011.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	96670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223 and 308 014.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	96671

Banned

bedwell.
    I'm not seeing nice round groups.
    you have some potential there, just the load isn't quite right.
    anyway it's my observation of the target.

Boolit Master

It appears Mike Hughes has achieved a good level of success. Using "On Target" software, I computed a 0.782 MOA for his testing. Not shabby at all. Renews my interest in HF Coatings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample 1-MOA PC Boolit Group - Compressed.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	96692

Once the weather warms up some so I can cast some .224's in the same and similar weights and coat with HF Red, I'll see if I can replicate some of his results in my Axis. If that works, I'll move over the the Colt AR-15 & Remington 40X to see how they do.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned

not really a critique just not seeing the roundness.
    maybe a shorter oal would help, but I'd guess at a powder change first.
    I really think the groups can be improved.

@Mike Hughes what twist on the AR?

Boolit Master

A thought on the left to right "Stringing" of the group for Mike Hughes.

If his scope reticule cross hairs are large, then he may be walking the view to the left and right as his eye attempts to discriminate where the cross hairs are in relation to the heavy black line on the target. May not be seeing it in the vertical impacts because of the Sand Bagging of the fire arm. Had this occur a few years ago with an inexpensive AR-15 style Chicom Scope I picked up at J&G Sales in Arizona. It's been pulled off and replaced a few years ago.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Great job mike! Anything else about the load you would like to share?

Banned

I was talking about bedwells.
    vertical stringing is generally velocity variations. [horizontal is quite often an ignition inconsistency or bedding]
    his could be clothing, or un-comfortableness at the bench.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast