Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14" TC 44 mag thinking about 444

Moderator Emeritus

14" TC 44 mag thinking about 444

Is this a good idea to consider? I have a decent shooter I bought for the scope on the bbl. I con't imagine taking it anywhere but the range as my Redhawk does such a good job in this caliber. What are the advantages of a rechamber to 444 and any cons?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Mike Bellm makes a convincing case for it with factory barrels due to the forcing cone throat chamber work done by a drunken monkeys,,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I have a 14" 44Mag barrel that has been rechambered to 444.
    The good news is lots more power,
    The bad news is LOTS more recoil. Recoil with full power loads is brutal.
    I would have the throat lengthened a bit allow shooting heavier boolits. 444s are chambered with a very short throat.
    BTW, accuracy is good in my barrel.
    My favorite bullet in the TC 444 is the Saeco RNFPGC 265 gr boolit.....dale

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one once with a 10" octagon barrel that had been rechambered from .44 magnum.

As dale said....recoil was brutal.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I had one rechambered, did not keep it very long. Everyone needs to shoot one at least once!
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    I traded for one years ago. It was a 10". The first shot felt like it broke my forearm. I could not believe it so a few minutes later I shot it again. I traded it at the next gun show

Moderator Emeritus

I am hearing a recurring theme here, thanks.

Boolit Master
    Mine is magnaported, makes a huge difference.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

why not just rechamber it to 445 supermag and still be able to shoot 44 special and 44 mag
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the same boat, gun was going for the price of the frame, had a 10" 44 mag bbl and an early dot sight. Used it to work up some loads for my brother's 44 Ruger Bisley and it hasn't left the safe much since. Looks like we have some nice trade bait.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

My trouble is that is shoots well as it is. Recoil is tolerable I just don't know how much field time it would get. In a 14" bbl I also don't know what the extra range of the 44 would be. If the gain is 50 yards[175-200 practical over 125-150 yards] it may just as well stay as it is. I have rifles for that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    My trouble is that is shoots well as it is. Recoil is tolerable I just don't know how much field time it would get. In a 14" bbl I also don't know what the extra range of the 44 would be. If the gain is 50 yards[175-200 practical over 125-150 yards] it may just as well stay as it is. I have rifles for that.
    Go find a ball peen hammer and smack yerself between the eyes. If it still seems to be a good idea then I guess go find yerself a reamer.

Seriously, bellm says he won't touch it without a brake. My take is once you start using a brake you really limit hunting potential if you value your hearing.
    Some where between here and there.....

Moderator Emeritus

Yea Dan, breaks are on my no-no list for me and to shoot next to.

Boolit Grand Master

My 35 Rem Contender bbl has a brake, gotta be very careful. Had a guide standing next to the muzzle once tell me to shoot. Had to pass on that one! Several years later he did the same thing with a Guide Gun. We had to talk it over again.
    Gotta admit I've always wanted a T/C 45-70 bbl. Then I go shoot my 35 Remmy and wonder why.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    45-70 contender was just horrendous - I could not bear to shoot it. I then got a 375 JDJ and that was manageable, but just. Super accurate too.

I'd leave it as a .44 and be done with it or get another barrel in a caliber that is fun to shoot. I'd kinda like to have a .357 Maximum.

Super Moderator

The problem with the Contender is...it's just not the most ergonomic design. Don't get me wrong, I love my T/C! I too had a barrel in 45-70. I don't think I even fired a full box of ammo through it before trading it. Firing it felt like hitting an oak tree with a cracked baseball bat.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Recoil is tolerable I just don't know how much field time it would get.
    When in possession of something unneeded, I replace it with something that fills a requirement.
    That seems more sensible than modifying it into something that nobody has any use for.
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 11-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I have a 14" 44Mag barrel that has been rechambered to 444.
    The good news is lots more power,
    The bad news is LOTS more recoil. Recoil with full power loads is brutal.
    Was this the gun I shot at BBPDS? If so, it wasn't much fun. Unless you're hunting elephants or cape buffalo, I fail to see what this conversion would gain you, other than wrists that pop, and a recurring flinch.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Mine is 44 mag with muzzle break "Bubba" since someone rusted the outside of the barrel and tried to cold blue it. I Duracoated it Put mounts and Ultadot on it. Gun was $149. 00 without mount and scope......

Attachment 88667

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    Go find a ball peen hammer and smack yerself between the eyes. If it still seems to be a good idea then I guess go find yerself a reamer.
    Left out of the above is after getting whacked in the head, is a trip to the ER for stitches and more that likely having your broken wrist set. You are going to burn over twice as powder, and only see maybe a 20 % increase in velocity and that is with a 300-320 gn bullet. There a few things every man needs to experience, shooting a 444 or 45-70 Contender, being in a car for 6 + hrs with a menopausal woman, a per induction physical, and a few more
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast