Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 225415 Mods by Eric

Boolit Master

Lyman 225415 Mods by Eric

Reading about the testing done by Jim and Beagle on the .223 with cast Boolits got me fired me up!! I sent my hard earned cash to my favorite vendor for a new Lyman 225415 double cavity mold. Said mold arrived and I fired up the pot with visions of 10 round 1/2" groups (at 100 yards) with velocities ranging from 800 to 1800 fps in my head!!!

Well, my mold must have been the last one cut from a VERY worn Cherry cause the Boolits miked 0.2225" AT THE WIDEST using a high antimony alloy!!! To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Got to reading about Eric and the work he does so I figured I'd send it in to get the bands (3) opened up to 0.226". Read some more about Beagles testing and figured while Eric was opening up the bands I have his HP mod done on both cavities (a Cramer style mod).

Got the mold back from Eric and just had a chance to cast with it yesterday. The Boolits dropped from the pre-heated mold without difficulty and the Boolits mike 0.226" ON THE NOSE with WW alloy. Lubed and gas checked they weigh 50.1gr. Only problem I have now is the 415 punch is leaving a ring on the Boolit nose when sizing in the 4500 lube/sizer. Next is a push through die for a Star lube/sizer in 0.226" (a diameter used by Beagle with great success).

I cannot say enough about the fine job Eric did with this mold!!! I am back on track and hope to be duplicating Jim and Beagle's success with cast Boolits in the .223 soon!

More to follow............

Erik is very good. He HPed a cavity in my 225462.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Eric is a VERY talented machinist.

It is however a shame that you bought a brand new mold from Lyman and had to spend that kind of money to end up with a usable bullet.

You may want to try a flat nose punch with your 225415 bullet. I have one and it doesn't leave any marks on mine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Eric is a VERY talented machinist.

It is however a shame that you bought a brand new mold from Lyman and had to spend that kind of money to end up with a usable bullet.

You may want to try a flat nose punch with your 225415 bullet. I have one and it doesn't leave any marks on mine.
    Ben, the flat nose punch is a good idea, I'll give it a shot. I have always liked the Ideal/Lyman molds but have not had much luck with them lately. This is the third NEW Lyman mold I've received with issues and it'll be my last. Since I joined this group ALL new molds except for this 225415 mold come from NOE or Miha, I still buy used Ideal molds from auction sites occasionally but won't buy another new Lyman mold, the QC is just not there anymore.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, I'll buy an old IDEAL at a gun show.

Ordering a new Lyman mold, NO WAY ! ! !

Boolit Master
    That flat nose punch is good advice..I have been using them for years..lets bullet center itself in those mostly out of line lubesizers. In my Hornet, I had gone the custom mould route for accuracy..Leeth nose-pour moulds..copy of the old Ideal 22636 in g.c. & plain-base @ 52grs. Lately I tried some samples from a dbl. cavity I had purchased back in the late 70's. I am going to have to have another go with this one..a couple of 3/8" 3 shot groups and alot of 5 shot ones from 1/2" to 3/4".
    Speaking of buying an old Ideal...The one I had was for a 60gr. plain-base..probably for the old .22-15-60 Stevens. I chucked some up in bench lathe collet, & faced off to 50gr. On some, I turned G.C. shanks. I was getting 3/8 to 1/2" groups at 100yds...equaling the best jacketed match bullet accuracy from this Shillen barreled panneled action Sharps- Borchardt sporter. I sent samples off to Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products for nose-pour copies..these shot even better!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    That flat nose punch is good advice..I have been using them for years..lets bullet center itself in those mostly out of line lubesizers. In my Hornet, I had gone the custom mould route for accuracy..Leeth nose-pour moulds..copy of the old Ideal 22636 in g.c. & plain-base @ 52grs. Lately I tried some samples from a dbl. cavity I had purchased back in the late 70's. I am going to have to have another go with this one..a couple of 3/8" 3 shot groups and alot of 5 shot ones from 1/2" to 3/4".
    Speaking of buying an old Ideal...The one I had was for a 60gr. plain-base..probably for the old .22-15-60 Stevens. I chucked some up in bench lathe collet, & faced off to 50gr. On some, I turned G.C. shanks. I was getting 3/8 to 1/2" groups at 100yds...equaling the best jacketed match bullet accuracy from this Shillen barreled panneled action Sharps- Borchardt sporter. I sent samples off to Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products for nose-pour copies..these shot even better!

How fast are ya pushing those Boolits??? I want to duplicate 22 mag performance so I plan on keeping the velocity of the 51gr pills around 1800 fps. If I can get 1" groups at 100 yards I'll be a happy camper!!!