Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Your thoughts on a remington sportsman 78 30-06

Boolit Buddy

Your thoughts on a remington sportsman 78 30-06

I just picked up a remington sportsman 78 in 30-06 springfield. One question I have is, is the safety supposed to come back on after every shot? Other than that it appears to be a very nice rifle. Any thoughts or experiences with this model would be helpful. Thanks,
    Kyle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem 78.JPG 
Views:	439 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	87841
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master

Kyle,
    I bought one a couple of years ago and it appears it's going to be a good cast shooter so far. It is the same as a model 700 ADL only the bolt is not jewelled and it has a "hardwood" stock instead of walnut. The finish is a little more "matte" than a 700 also. If I recall correctly they were manufactured in the late '70's and '80's. The safety is not supposed to go back on after each shot. There is supposed to be a detent ball under a flat spring on the side of the trigger which keeps it on or off. This spring could be weak or the ball could be missing. Most gunsmiths with any basic knowledge of the Remington/Walker fire control system should be able to correct it quickly. Is there a slight "click" when putting the safety on or off?
    Good Luck, and enjoy your new rifle,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    yep, the detent ball is missing along with the eclip for the pin.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Buddy
    next question, will a 700 trigger assembly fit on this rifle?
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master

It is one in the same.....Yes

As a side note....Remington changed the length and tension of the sear engagement spring just about the time or a little after your rifle was produced. The earlier spring would allow adjustment down to about 2 or so pounds safely, the later spring will not. I'm not sure which spring your rifle will have but a copy of the earlier spring is available and marketed as a "Tubb" spring kit I think and sold by Brownells. I have an "X-mark pro" trigger I removed from a new rifle recently and I don't like it as much as the original Remington/walker trigger. If you have any interest I would be willing to sell it to you reasonably, but again I don't think it is as good a trigger as what you have. It is a "lawyer" trigger as some would say. The detent ball and clip may be available from Brownells as well but I know some parts are gunsmith only on their site.
    Rick
    Last edited by RickinTN; 11-18-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: additional information

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this model rifle?
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master
    I have one in '06 I bought new back in '89. I rebarrelled it with a 24" SS barrel and it's blued receiver and ss barrel have garnered a few condescending looks from others, but it shoots great. Read somewhere it was a replacement for the 788.

Boolit Bub
    I bought one back in the 80's to strip down for the action. Never got around to it because I picked up another model 700 action for the build. This model was the 788 of the 700 family. I still drag it out to hunt with now and again

Boolit Bub
    Remington had a 'KIT' model 700 that they cataloged for a while. I bought two of them back then. Wish I could find another one that someone bought but never unboxed to finish it. It kinda reminded me of this rifle.

Boolit Master

I found one of those for sale for $150, iirc, some time ago. Looked like it had spent its whole life behind the seat of a truck. A little cleaning and the bore is shiny and I put an old 700 ADL stock on it ($10, yard sale!) and for ~$160 I have a quite decent looking rifle. It is absolutely nothing more or less than a 700 action with a different stamp on it.

I have one in 223 with a PacNor barrel. It shot just fine with the factory barrel...even better now.