Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which rifle would you treat yourself to?

Boolit Buddy

Which rifle would you treat yourself to?

Lets say you received $2000 and you had decided a long time ago if this happened, you would treat yourself to a fine rifle. This has happened to me recently and I'm drawing a blank! I want a rifle that I can pass on to my second son...my oldest son already has a fine C. Sharps headed his way when he's old enough. I originally planned on getting another Sharps so they would both have similar guns...but I find my resolve in that idea waivering after handling a nice walnut stocked Springfield M1A! I won't try to fool you and say I'm not going to enjoy the rifle up until I turn it over to the young one which will be about 17 years from now assuming the good Lord allows me to live that long. Please don't limit your ideas to my first two choices...I want to hear everyone else's ideal gift gun...a gun you would treat yourself to and then pass on. There may be some really neat or obscure gun out there that I didn't know existed...factory or custom...modern or primitive in design.

With that said, gentlemen, I turn this thread over to you, the most esteemed and knowledgeable group of shootists in the world.

Respectfully,
    Will B.
    Last edited by webradbury; 11-17-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading my post, it sounds a little gloaty which I assure you was not my intention. The money comes from an insurance policy I have following a diagnosis of thyroid cancer. Its gone now...cancer and thyroid gland...and I'm told that that's all there is to it and I had an easily treatable/curable cancer. I got lucky. So I'm using most of the money to pay bills and the other amount to buy a toy to brighten my spirits. Just wanted to clarify.

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byChkCfZqbE
    This feller has good advice, and a nice rifle (albeit a little out of your price range).
    One idea is to get with a local rifle smith and see if he can build you a custom. If you already have an action, then that amount of money will get you into a very fine piece of workmanship.

I'm also a fan of the M1A, now that I own one, I won't be without one.

My personal baby, is a Sako AV. It was made within 2 months of my birth, and it is chambered in my favorite caliber, and fitted to me (by me in point of fact). It's special, it's not easy to find, and its got my DNA in it. Lovelife sold it to me for a price I could afford, and I'll never forget that.

(It's not gloaty. I have rifles that are worth twice that going over my bench all the time. You have enough money to get you into a fine rifle, you're thinking about your kids, and there's nothing wrong with that.)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I personally would look for a really clean, late model (1935) Winchester M1895 in .30-06; that is if I were in your shoes. I am not and already have a 1900 vintage 95 in .30-40 so am happy. No one to leave my guns to so am not looking for a lot more.

Boolit Buddy

Maybe a nice custom built bolt action in your favorite caliber? Get the smith to fit the stock to you, get some engraving on it. I've never had the $$$ to get one and it may be out of your $2000 budget but something that was made to order just for you would be a great heirloom.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Grand Master

For some smiths, the cost is directly affected by how often you show up with his favorite beer in your hand......just sayin

Boolit Buddy
    Lol...the best transmission I ever had was built for a case of beer! And the mechanic built it after hours and after about twelve of those beers!! That thing shifted HARD and was a lot tougher than the one I tore up before it!! Keep the ideas coming!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, the only rifle left on my personal bucket list is a pre 64 Winchester 70 in 30-06. I simply must own the "riflemans rifle" some day, and if I were in your shoes, that's exactly what I would do.

Boolit Grand Master

At that price I would be looking for a used Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 in 257 Roberts. May or may not be able to find one. Or I'd buy a Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55. It doesn't have a wood stock. But their stocks fit me perfectly and I like composite stocks and stainless steel for hunting.

Boolit Master
    Like you , I had a few extra bucks to spend on a new gun.I went thinking I too was going to bring home a Springfield loaded M1A.I went to my LGS and they had one in stock.Problem was they also had a Colt 1911-A1 that had been gone over by Novak's for another $100.00 ,and even though used it looked to be new.
    As much as I liked the M1A , I realized the 1911 at that price was a true find.It besides having the Novak sights had been treated to his carry package as well as front serrations and a checkered front strap.
    I guess the lesson to be learned is shop around , there are treasures out there.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master
    2K, let's see. Why does it need to be one rifle. Them boys might need to deal with when SHTF. 1ea. scoped 22 bolt, $300.00. 1 ea. nice used 30-30 336 scoped, $600.00. 1 ea. nice used 870 12 ga with extra barrel or chokes, $400.00. Let's see, $700.00 left. OK, 30-06 or 308 bolt with good glass. From tree rat to Zombie! When one quits it becomes a club or hammer, grabbing another is a nice option. Gtek

I'm with ya, m1a is still on my WTB list. But a couple CMP garands
    will suffice for now.

Boolit Buddy
    A nice springfield krag carbine has been on my want list for a long time...Remington model 81 too...the latter is just plain cool as heck!

Love Life
    One of the new Mauser bolt action rifles would be at the top of the heap for me.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't be caught dead spending that kind of money on a run of the mill or even high quality set up that would not be shot all that much. I would want something for a really great plinker or light varmit rifle.
    Maybe a Sako L46 in 25-20 or buy a Sako L46 in .218 and rebarrel to the 25-20 or 32-20.
    Another would the be the petite Remington 25 slide action in 25-20 and 32-20. I would probably try to find a Marlin 1894 in .22 WMR. Another goodie is the Winchester M61 slide action in .22WMR.
    I think that Cooper makes some great little bolt guns in the small calibers too.
    Of course a M52 Win Sporter is about as grand a thing you could leave someone as is a M22 1903 Springfield in .22 LR. Then you can look at a Anschutz M54 Sporter in .22 LR.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Thinking heirloom chronology, retention of value and shoot-ability, with 2k more or less, I'd search out a factory original pre-64 Win M 70 in the caliber of my liking or a Win M 52 sporter. I would not pass up a Miroku Win M 52 sporter. The nice thing about either one is that the Miroku M 52 would be about half or less the budget or I could be picky about condition of the M 70. Either choice would retain or increase in value, would last a lifetime and would likely leave some extra cash left over from the 2K investment for sights, components, ammo, accessories, etc.

top to bottom:
    Winchester pre-64 M70 Featherweight 308
    Winchester pre-64 M70 Standard 30-06
    Winchester Miroku M52 Sporter 22rf
    Last edited by fouronesix; 11-17-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Love Life
    I'm seeing finely figured walnut in your future.

Maybe a baseline Remington 700 (Older model) with an upgraded barrel and a finely figured stock.

An older pre 64 Winchester, or one of the new CRF Winchester model 70's?

There are many options in your price range. Personally, a well used and worn rifle will hold just as much value to your son as a finely figured safe queen.

Boolit Master
    If the main idea is to pass it on to the second son, why don't you find out what his bucket list rifle is? What you two like the most are probably different rifles.

I've been trying to figure out this bucket list stuff myself for the past year or so. If I can figure it out, I'll buy it, but there isn't anything I have to have, at least so far.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    My rifle is a left hand M57 Cooper chambered in 22lr with a Shepard 3x-10x 22lr scope mounted with Tally rings. My thoughts are low recoil for a old man and cheap ammo that does not have to be loaded so no having to pick up cases.

Boolit Master
    Steyr Scout with accessories.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast