RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mitchels mausers/8mm

Boolit Master

mitchels mausers/8mm

anyone out there shooting a mitchels mauser?if so how does it handle cast and if you have could you share your data with me?
    thinking of picking one up.....but.. am i crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    anyone out there shooting a mitchels mauser?if so how does it handle cast and if you have could you share your data with me?
    thinking of picking one up.....but.. am i crazy?
    Save yourself some money and stay away from the Mitchel Mausers You would be better served for your money to buy a Handpicked Russian Capture K98 from various distributors,Anyone can strip and sand out a stock like they do to theirs trust me they didnt come from germany in that condition!They pimp shine them in house and some folks even claim they renumber parts to make them as matching and sell them as such! A serious NO NO in my book!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I have also heard negative things about the Mitchel Mausers. I can't say that what I have heard or read is 100% true though.

Boolit Grand Master

They just bought up a bunch of Mausers and hiked the price up. There are allot of places around that you can pick one up for allot cheaper!
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    The difference between Mitchell and other vendors of Mausers is promotion. At the time I bought my 1948 (new) Yugo, Mitchell was offering them for $295.00. IIRC, I paid $100.00 +/-. Mitchell refinishes their rifles and trumpets their virtues in colorful, full-page, ads.

In the middle of the last century, there was a maker of hunting rifles in exotic magnum calibers. He sold well-made and finished rifles, chambered for proprietary cartridges similar to those offered by many custom gunsmiths. The difference is that this guy had radical ideas of style, cultivated celebrity customers, published a profusely illustrated catalogue, and tried out his latest models in Africa and Asia. Perhaps you may have heard of him, a self-made genius of promotion named Roy Weatherby. The early careers of Roy Weatherby and Samuel Colt have many parrellels. It wasn't long before Winchester, Remington, et al, were emulating Weatherby.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    I have also heard negative things about the Mitchel Mausers. I can't say that what I have heard or read is 100% true though.
    Then I will say it: He is a crook. That from my own personal dealings with them. Apropos to nothing, I was told he has FIVE new, just out of the box, King Tiger tanks he's trying to get a license to import.

That got my stomach upset, I got to get it out. I bought one of their .45 autos off Gunbroker. It seemed to be everything I expected and I was happy till my receiving dealer pointed out the safety wouldn't stay on with the hammer cocked. Now if he hadn't told me that, I probably would never have noticed it because I always turn safeties off and leave them that way. I always know what condition the gun is in. No big deal, right, what can a safety cost, $15??? Less than the double shipping loss if I returned it; besides, it's a great looking gun. I decided to call Mitchell to get a safety from them. Guy said he couldn't send it to me, besides, it might not need it, just send the gun back to them and he would check it out. He said no charge. I asked again to confirm it and he verified it, they would check it out and call me before they did anything, it was under warranty. So for $35 I shipped it down to Tustin or Santa Ana, whichever they are in. No calls but 2 weeks later I got a bill from them for $143. Naturally I called. Guy said some of the internal parts had been changed, they weren't Mitchells'. Reminding him they had promised to do nothing without calling me got me nowhere. Finally I told him to take their new parts and return the gun to me as they received it. He said they couldn't do that, the gun was unsafe that way. Upshot was I had to send the ******** $143 to get my gun back. The invoice broke down this way: Shipping: $23---Parts: $10---Labor to take gun to range and test it (2.75 hours @ $40 hr): $110!!!!! I called and wrote letters and got nowhere. The Postal Inspector said they were wrong and what they did was illegal but all he could do was send them a letter telling them that, he could not make them refund the money. The state Attorney Generals Office was sympathetic, they had dealt with Mitchell before. They said,"We tell them they can't do that, they tell us to...Go Fish." So I'm totally screwed. I knew they would be at the Shot Show next year so I wrote all this up and went to the show with the hopes that the owner was a nice guy and not responsible for all the above. He was there and he was an ******* (Ad hominen attack). I hope he and everyone he loves (if any) die of aids and cancer. I feel better now.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 11-21-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    "I hope he and everyone he loves (if any) die of aids and cancer". Art, this is a little too strong for my right eye. Just got the guts a couple of weeks ago to get my right eye's lens exchanged for a new one. Tommorow morning. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    Just think I was looking at them also NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    "I hope he and everyone he loves (if any) die of aids and cancer". Art, this is a little too strong for my right eye. Just got the guts a couple of weeks ago to get my right eye's lens exchanged for a new one. Tommorow morning. ... felix
    Felix, if you have the guts, we'll reinforce them with prayers. Bill and Fran
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post

Interocular lens???????????

Good luck and best wishes.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Was considering them. NO MORE. Don't need another gun anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by tom barthel View Post
    Was considering them. NO MORE. Don't need another gun anyhow.
    Always need another gun. Just know who NOT to order one from.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Scrounger,

You right on the money when your talking about Mitchell's. The whole sales group seem to be dogs!
    I was at a SHOT show a few years ago and a dealer started to give the owner hell about his missrepresented products.

The Mitchell owner's answer was he caters to new collectors and his products are a learning experiance for them.

He could care less about repeat customers and his recearch showed that guys NEVER want to admit they were taken.

He real thought it was funny. He really IS a large chunk of crap!

The dealer called him a thief and walked away.
    I saw this myself and swear it is true.

Best. broom

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Save yourself some money and stay away from the Mitchel Mausers You would be better served for your money to buy a Handpicked Russian Capture K98 from various distributors. Anyone can strip and sand out a stock like they do to theirs trust me they didnt come from germany in that condition!They pimp shine them in house and some folks even claim they renumber parts to make them as matching and sell them as such! A serious NO NO in my book!
    Ditto This posting.

There are still quality capture rifles to be had. Does Mitchell re-number parts??
    I for sure don't know, others may know more, but suspicions have been raised. Service grades start at $299 from Mitchell Mauser, a lot of money in my book for some cosmetic improvements on a basic rifle.

I have seen high quality Yugoslavian M-48 8mm Mausers also. Many in the excellent to un-issued catagory. Not K-98's mind you, but one can get a fine rifle with an excellent bore at a reasonable price.

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 11-15-2007 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spelling and Diction

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Have a look at the 24/47 8mm mausers being sold now. Very good stuff for the price.

Boolit Master
    Is anyone able to recommend other places to shop for a Mauser without the fear of getting ripped off??
    Like some of the other posts here, I was leaning toward Mitchells. But after reading the posts, I think I'll take my money elsewhere...........Lee

P.S. This months Dillon Press has his ad on the inside front cover. Careful reading (between the lines) does show a sanitized description, along with some very slick sales pitching............... As well as a BBB logo, all from the great state of Kalifornica....

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    Hi Scrounger,

The Mitchell owner's answer was he caters to new collectors and his products are a learning experiance for them.

He real thought it was funny. He really IS a large chunk of crap!

The dealer called him a thief and walked away.
    I saw this myself and swear it is true.

Best. broom

Yes they are a learning experience. An expensive one! Buyer beware!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

I bought a Mauser recently from a buddy and he said it was a Mitchell. I paid him 150 cash and he said it was unfired. I looked at a friends Mitchell and it says Mitchell on the rifle. Mine says Cherry's on the right side of the barrel near the muzzle. What do I have? I thought it was a Michells.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Have a look at the 24/47 8mm mausers being sold now. Very good stuff for the price.

I would have to agree with that. I have 2 of the Yugo 24/47's and they are both accurate and well made. One is all matching numbers and the other one isn't but they both shoot the same. In my opinion AIM is one of the best places to do business with. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Y...r_Package.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast