MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave oddity

In Remembrance

Microwave oddity

All I know about a microwave is to push the button and it will warm something up, and not to put tinfoil in it. lol

This morning I put 3 of the small honey buns on a paper plate, amd when I turned it on, it was making a thumping sound, maybe threw a rod in the turn table. lol
    Out of the three honey buns, two of them warmed just like they always do, but the third didn't even soften the icing, how is that possible???

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Must be the day for microwaves. I make oatmeal in mine in the morning. This morning, I neglected to put any water in first. Smokey, stinky mess. Anyone familiar with my usual cooking practices, will not be surprised by this.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Hey I just figured I couldn't screw up honey buns, but I know different now. lol

It's time to hit Craigslist or Alaskalist for a pre-tested unit.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance
    LOL I just gave one away last week. lol I don't mind buying a new one, but how could it cook two and not even heat the icing on the third one??

Boolit Master

Broken turntable?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Broken turntable?
    Ya beat me to it.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy

The magnatron (part that makes the microwaves) shoots the microwave beam in a fixed pattern, sort of like a shotgun with a full choke. The turntable moves the food through the beam as it bounces around inside the metal containment box. Because the microwave beam bounces around inside the "microwave" in a fixed pattern there are areas inside the unit that will experience little, or no microwave energy. bu putting a turntable inside the appliance the food is heated more evenly because it is swept through the "hot spots" of the microwave beam, sort of like how a forced air convection oven cooks faster than a standard oven. Hope this helps.
    Freedom in America was not won with a "registered" firearm, nor was it a gift of the ruling class.

In Remembrance
    The turn table was going round and round. lol

Boolit Buddy

Perhaps your unit has more than one magnatron, I'm not a commercial microwave designer, just a user. Perhaps you had one of those 4th generation stealth honey buns designed for deep penetration mission to "destroy enemies of the state".
    Freedom in America was not won with a "registered" firearm, nor was it a gift of the ruling class.

Boolit Master

If you wanna wow your friends, show them how to use a microwave to erase a CD. Take a CD you NEVER want to use again. Put it on top of a styrofoam cup in the microwave. Dim the room lights and punch the start button. Kill the microwave after a few seconds. The fireworks are impressive. Do this in the coffee room at work and you become a legend.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Don't put tinfoil in it, this is true; BUT; if you melt your lube in the microwave a very small piece of lead in the bottom helps things to melt fast (I won't do this in a microwave I use for food). Nor does it spark, as the reflected waves are absorbed by the wax in the lube, but the hot metal DOES help things to melt.

I'm doing this with a second hand flea market $5 microwave I use just to melt lube. Can't say what it will do for the long term life of the magnetron.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    ...The fireworks are impressive. Do this in the coffee room at work and you become a legend.

dale in Louisiana
    dale,

I'm already a legend, in my own mind! But thanks for the tip!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post

it was making a thumping sound, maybe threw a rod in the turn table. lol

The turn table was going round and round. lol
    Not doubting your observation, just thinking about the line in your first post I quoted above. I once had a microwave that behaved similarly to yours, the turntable would turn about 270 degrees and then a broken part inside would stop it with a clunk. Then it would reverse direction and repeat the cycle in the other direction. One can easily see how that would lead to unequal heat distribution. When I just glanced at it at first I saw it turning fine, when I watched it for a few seconds longer I saw what was really going on.

In either case the solution is usually a new microwave...

Boolit Grand Master
    Does your honey bun wear a tin foil hat?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    If you wanna wow your friends, show them how to use a microwave to erase a CD. Take a CD you NEVER want to use again. Put it on top of a styrofoam cup in the microwave. Dim the room lights and punch the start button. Kill the microwave after a few seconds. The fireworks are impressive. Do this in the coffee room at work and you become a legend.

dale in Louisiana
    Scott, a guy I used to work with, said incandescent bulbs are impressive too.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Put some water in it see if it gets hot.

In Remembrance
    I took the turntable out and washed it. I didn't see anything that could have been causing it, but when I put it back, she no longer goes bump. lol I haven't tried heating anything up though.

In Remembrance
    Well the wife just made some nachos in it, and it worked just like it is suppose too. Who knows, maybe I am just not qualified to use a microwave. lol

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Must be the day for microwaves. I make oatmeal in mine in the morning. This morning, I neglected to put any water in first. Smokey, stinky mess. Anyone familiar with my usual cooking practices, will not be surprised by this.
    I've got a better (worse?) one than that.

About twelve years ago when my daughter was seven, my brother had flew out to Fallon to visit us. Brooke tried to impress him with how she made ramen noodles in the microwave, without telling us.

Dry ramen noodles in the microwave smell worse than burnt pinto beans, take my word for it.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast