Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Lube

Boolit Buddy

Case Lube

I know this is a bullet lube forum but I couldn't find a better fit.

I have run out of case lube and cant find any locally. Is there anything I can make that will work till I can get some in? I do have an old dry tube of Lee paste, is there a way to rehydrate it? I even thought of using WD40 and washing the cases well before loading. What do you all think? Thanks DR

Boolit Grand Master

If its the lee sizing die lube it is water souluable and a little water added shoud rejuvenate it. Stp is said to work, Bag Balm has a high lanolin content and I have heard of it being used,Electrical supply shops have wire pull lubes That are about the same as the lee, but you have to take a large quanity of it. Alot mix lanolin with 90%+ alcohol for a spay on case lube also. Have also heard of mink cream being used.

Banned
    For "normal" case lube (not case forming to another round) I only use home made lanolin and alcohol spray - its great. Now getting lanolin locally, NOT hand cream, could be an issue. I have heard of the cable pulling lube being used and I think Lowes sells it.

Love Life
    Mink oil.

Boolit Master

Mystery oil is very good,I have yet to stick a case.Just use a small drop between fore finger and thumb and rub it on the brass,what wetness shows on finger I scrape the end of brass with that seems to lube the throat also.

Boolit Master

For pistol brass I just lay my cleaned and primed cases in a box lid and give them a very light spray of furniture wax taking care not to spray down inside onto the primer. A little shaking rolls the cases around to spread the wax. Just that light spray makes a big difference in resizing force required.
    For rifle brass I discovered the Lee dies are kind of rough so I polish them with some 600 grit sandpaper and then use the Lee resizing lube. If things stick a bit I retract the case and re-lube it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Mink oil.
    This is what I use all the time. I can't see paying the price for case lube when mink oil works so well and is cheap.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anhydrous lanolin.

Ever wonder why sheep don't need lube?

Banned

"Ever wonder why sheep don't need lube?"

No, and for sure don't want to know.

Boolit Master
    Someone said that Alberto VO5 Hairdressing would work in a pinch; it does, although it's just a bit thin. It contains glycerin and lanolin, and acts like a thin version of Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It will creep up the case if it's warm in your loading area, and give you hydraulic dents on the case shoulder if you're not careful.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so much! I have a couple of gallons of wire pulling lube in the garage. I had not even thought of that! That will get me through the weekend. I have a daughter-in-law that makes designer hand products. Ill see what she has in pure lanolin. I like the spray on application best. I can just spread them out on a tray and spray lube a bunch at a time. I thought I had an extra bottle in the cabinet but no. Thanks again DR

Boolit Buddy
    I take a can of wd40 and spray lightly inside the die every 20 or so rifle cases. But, I also polish them with lemon juice, dish soap, very hot water and two rolls of pennys after they have been sized.

Boolit Grand Master
    2 rolls of pennys? Do they leave a fresh cent?

I suppose the pennys would work to help scour the brass. Interesting idea.

Boolit Master
    STP works Great, get it at Wall Mart. I've even used it for mild case forming!

I use the same lube I use for swaging: lanolin and castor oil mixed 50 - 50. A little bit on your finger tip does several cases.

Boolit Master
    Another user of "Bag Balm" here.

Dan

Banned

I use the lanolin and castor oil too, but mix mine 2 parts to 1.
    I also mix the lanolin and rubbing alcohol as a spray on as a precursor to the hand wipe, it just allows me to use less of the wipe on mix, and keep my fingers a bit cleaner.

I mix a little synthetic oil with some beeswax or use the oil by its self. I send to use sythetic 2 stroke oil since i always have a bunch of it around because of my motor toys.

Boolit Master

Kiwi Mink Oil, or castor oil. (Castor oil dissolves completely in alcohol, so it should make a good spray lube too)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Anhydrous lanolin.

Ever wonder why sheep don't need lube?
    You don't wear hi top rubber boots do you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast